T Nation

Help with Direction

I have lifted on and off since high school but never on a consistent enough level . Normally 3-4 months then i fall off . Im looking to get back on and stay on this time my only issue is i dont know what type of program to start . Im now 280 lbs and losing fat is my 1st goal but i know thats all in the kitchen.

My lifts
BP 265
DL 450
Sq 375
OHP 150

I ran wendler 531 along with a normal bodybuilding split. Over the past few years. My goals are to lose fat and hopefully get into some powerlifting on strong man at some point.

Would i be good off doing 531 or maybe a 5x5. Im open to all options . I know there are alot of threads about this but im niot sure which level my lifts put me in since i know my numbers play a big role in what program i should be using

Thanks for any and all help

[quote]carped1em wrote:
I have lifted on and off since high school but never on a consistent enough level . Normally 3-4 months then i fall off .[/quote]
No kidding.

Dude, in the past nine months, you’ve gained 10 pounds, your bench and overhead press have gone down, your squat went up a little bit, and your deadlift went up a good amount.

If that’s just a consistency issue, it’s one thing. Buckle down, stop flaking out, and you can see some progress if you string together a few months of hard work. But you still might want to consider a 100% fat loss focused training and diet program for the next 3 months or so.

Diet:

Lifting, 3 days a week:

Cardio, 3 days a week (either after weights or on a separate day):

How tall are you?

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

Yea its been a wild ride as of late. I allowed work and becoming a dad derail me but excuses are pointless. im 5’10

yesterdays food

meal1
eggs and bacon with pepers and onions
meal 2
shake after lifting
meal 3
banana and granola bar
meal 4
steak with veggies and rice
Meal 5
fruit
meal 5
salad with chicken maybe a skinny cow ice creme

i little over 2500 cals . I wasn’t really focused on carbs just making sure i got my protein. Thats not how i was eating thats been the last week or so since ive tried to clean it up .its been pretty much a rock star and honey bun on the way to work candy during the day and pizza in the EDR at work with normally pizza or fast food at home.

Also thanks for the links i will give thats program and cardio a try. Ive already started to do alot of those 28 day challenge things but there are some i haven’t

[quote]carped1em wrote:
Yea its been a wild ride as of late. I allowed work and becoming a dad derail me but excuses are pointless.[/quote]
Congrats on the kiddo. I hear ya about life getting in the way. You’ve just got to adopt the mindset of trying to keep some kind of training schedule when things get crazy-busy, instead of ditching the gym completely.

There are a bunch of programs that have short workouts (20-30 minutes each) or even routines calling for only two good, hard workouts per week, if that’s something you’d need to build consistency.

[quote]yesterdays food

meal1
eggs and bacon with pepers and onions
meal 2
shake after lifting
meal 3
banana and granola bar
meal 4
steak with veggies and rice
Meal 5
fruit
meal 5
salad with chicken maybe a skinny cow ice creme[/quote]
That’s definitely better than honey buns, pizza, and candy, but try to have some kind of protein in every meal or snack. Jerky, hard boiled eggs, a scoop of protein in water, something so you’re never having just carbs (like in meals 3 and 5).

Flipping this around a bit, so you’re still getting in your protein but also keeping an eye on carbs, is probably the easiest way to start dropping fat or at least slow down fat gain.

No prob. Once most of those are part of your lifestyle, consider checking these out for a little more in-depth way to setup a fat loss nutrition plan:


I like the 25 method i will give that a try .

I also havnt looked into carbs that much . Everything pretty much says 1-1.5 grams of protein but carbs are all over the place. Some say low some high im not sure what to do with carbs.

[quote]carped1em wrote:
I like the 25 method i will give that a try .

I also havnt looked into carbs that much . Everything pretty much says 1-1.5 grams of protein but carbs are all over the place. Some say low some high im not sure what to do with carbs. [/quote]

Carbs are usually adjusted depending on your activity level. If you’ve got an active job or play a sport or something like that, carbs need to be higher. If you just lift, then you don’t need as much carbs in the diet

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]carped1em wrote:
I like the 25 method i will give that a try .

I also havnt looked into carbs that much . Everything pretty much says 1-1.5 grams of protein but carbs are all over the place. Some say low some high im not sure what to do with carbs. [/quote]

Carbs are usually adjusted depending on your activity level. If you’ve got an active job or play a sport or something like that, carbs need to be higher. If you just lift, then you don’t need as much carbs in the diet[/quote]

i have a desk job as of now . How many would you suggest

[quote]carped1em wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]carped1em wrote:
I like the 25 method i will give that a try .

I also havnt looked into carbs that much . Everything pretty much says 1-1.5 grams of protein but carbs are all over the place. Some say low some high im not sure what to do with carbs. [/quote]

Carbs are usually adjusted depending on your activity level. If you’ve got an active job or play a sport or something like that, carbs need to be higher. If you just lift, then you don’t need as much carbs in the diet[/quote]

i have a desk job as of now . How many would you suggest [/quote]

Try out that 100 gram carb cure link that Colucci posted

Thanks for all the info guys time to put it into work