T Nation

Help with Diet

i used to be a little bit chunky, i worked really hard cut out fast food and really whatched what i ate and i have lost 25 pounds.
I still have a bit of weight to loose around my waist ( spare tire) and was looking at a couple books about nutrition and food.
on a average day my meals consits something like this:
Breakfast:
-high carbohydrtaes(toast, muffins)
-high preotein(eggs, otemeal, peanut butter)
-fruit

lunch:
-protein shake
-homemade salad with grilled chicken, or ham

-protein shake after workout

supper(larger meal)
-steak
-pasta
-fish
-potatoes
-high in carbs and protein

if u could give me some meal plans and menues to replace any of the following meals that would help me loose my remaining weight, that would be great, or any tips on how to create meal plans to fit my lifestyle and help me loose weight

first off, congrats on the 25lb weight loss. In order to help you out more could you give us a little bit of background info. Whats your height, weight, age, BF% and activity level?

If you are not already doing so, you should start a food log. It will help you know exactly what you're putting into your body on a daily basis and give you a much more accurate picture of your nutrition. Do you know how many calories you're eating a day? how much protein, carbs and fat?

So please respond with more information and we'll get you more help. Good luck man

QUALIFICATION. The following comprises OPINION and rhetorical questions from a fat weak dude, not advice:

Why are you having a 'larger meal' that is high in carbs(potatoes/pasta) as your last meal of the day? Where are the damn vegetables?

Two protein shakes and grilled chicken for lunch/after lunch? One couldn't use that much protein at once. Just the chicken should be enough.

RE Oatmeal. I consider oatmeal to be a good complex carb source but there is more protein in two egg whites than there is in a large bowl of oats.

One should try to get as much protein as one can from meat. The human gut is 2-3 times more efficient at absorbing Iron from meat than from vege/grain based food. Meat has a much better balance of essential amino acids. Every grain/vege based protein source is deficient in at least one of the essentials. Grains also contain glutin and lectins(rice has lower levels when cooked).

Lastly, one should get some form of calcium if one doesn't want to break one's bones(I'm assuming your protein shakes and oatmeal are made with water as you have not included milk in the list.) Low fat yogurt? Low fat cottage cheese(full of whey protein too)?

Once again, one needs vegetables(potato doesn't count). Particularly cruciferae.

You asked for meal plans so here is what I have eaten today and what I will be eating tonight:

1st meal 6:00am: oatmeal made with water + 1 serve of protein powder mixed in and an apple.

2nd meal 9:30am: 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled with a single piece of dry rye toast.

3rd meal 12:15pm: almonds, green olives, low fat yogurt, 85 gram tin of yellowfin tuna and a single piece of dry rye bread.

4th meal 2:30pm: low carb protein shake made with water and a raw carrot.

5th meal 5:00pm: green olives, almonds and some low fat cottage cheese.

6th meal 7:30pm: A small grass fed, hormone free Porterhouse steak(I usually have chicken breast or fish though), loads of cabbage, broccoli and a raw carrot.

I lift after 3rd meal.

OP, congrats on the 25lbs loss. Before any real advice can be given, we'll need Gregron's questions answered. For the time being, I just wanted to comment of a few things you mentioned in your current diet.
-muffins seem healthy, but they can be really full of sugar. Don't rely on them as a healthy carb
-oatmeal is a carb, and peanut butter is more of a fat. sure they both have proteins, but that's not their primary function

I feel that I, and the rest of T-Nation, is dumber having read this. Please keep your "opinions" to yourself until you get your facts straight. Even if you start by saying your post is "opinion" and "rhetorical questions", you are representing a number of things as fact when they simply aren't complete.

i am 17, 6 foot 3, 225, my BF% is 15%, i work out 6 days a week, i play allot of hockey i am on ice 3-5 days a week

"I feel that I, and the rest of T-Nation, is dumber having read this"

• But you are unable or unwilling to say how or why? Why are you trying to confuse a noob by pretending that good advice is bad?

Please explain what is wrong with what I said so the OP will know. Please also let the OP know what 'facts' I have presented that are not 'straight' so he will know. I also request that you explain what you mean by my 'representing a number of things as fact when they simply aren't complete'. How much more nutrional info can one absord at one time when one thinks oatmeal is a protein source and eating a high carb dinner is a good way to lose fat? Just providing the basics.

There is a lot of information out there, you're just going to have to do a little research.

Do you keep a food log? If not you should definitely start one.

How many calories a day are you taking in? How much protein?

Read around a little bit in the nutrition forum.

A basic diet break down is 40/30/30 P/F/C.

Something that I would recommend would be at least 40% or your kcals coming from Protein... 40% is the minimum. I also prefer a higher fat diet as opposed to higher Carbs.

For you, considering your age and how physically demanding hockey is, I wouldn't drop cabs very low right offf the bat. You should try to get most of your Carbs in around your workout/practice time.

I wasn't going to comment because I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I suppose this one time. Oh, and I noticed that you edited out your comment about Gregron in your second post before he had a chance to read it. That's right, that comment about your advice being more useful than his, I read it before you changed it. For a person so confident in what he says, you shouldn't need to hide things like that.

There are times when this is actually fine depending on when he does his workouts and what kind of workouts he is doing. That's why Gregron is getting more information before giving out general rules for the OP to follow.

One couldn't use that much protein at once? It sounds like you're saying that the body can only absorb so much in a single meal. Well that's just wrong. It's already been discussed enough on this forum that I'm not going to elaborate. If you want, you can dig through the old posts yourself.

You were good when you said you should get protein from meat. The rest of the paragraph is just useless filler. As a note on interest, in Shelby Starnes' book on carb cycling, he says not even to count the proteins from carb or fat sources. Similarly, don't count the carbs in protein/fat sources or fat in carb/protein sources. It's on page 6 of his book, co-authored by Justin Harris, titled "The Troponin Nutrition Macronutrient Guidebook."

You really need to improve your own diet before you give diet advise to others. It's pretty bad. That's probably why you still way only weigh 184 lbs at a height of 6'4". And you push veggies so much I thought you would eat more yourself. Try adding a salad with spinach and tomato or something.

OP, if you're doing any research, there are lots of good sources out there but I like Shelby Starnes and John Berardi. They both have a lot of good articles out there.

Regarding your second post that you edited, here it is. You PMed it to me for some reason.

i have began to take a food jornal, and after 2 days i can already see some areas that i can improve on my eating habits. Thanks for the idea. I have been reading a couple article on this websites and others and have gotten these ideas out of them:
-if doin activity in the morning, eat a breakfast high in protein and low in carbs so that when you do the cardio in the morning ur body will burn the stored fat and not the carbs that u just ate for breakfast
-for lunch ( if before a workout) have more carbs as to give u more energy for ur workout, or have some carbs right before a workout to give u energy before u workout
-for supper or later meal u should not have allot of carbs as the will be turned into fat and not glycogen while u sleep becuase u are not active,

if u could give me some feedback on what u think about these facts that would be great or how i may have misconstrued them and got the wrong information

also if there is other ideas that u may think will help me

GSD wrote:
"I wasn't going to comment because I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I suppose this one time. Oh, and I noticed that you edited out your comment about Gregron in your second post before he had a chance to read it. That's right, that comment about your advice being more useful than his, I read it before you changed it. For a person so confident in what he says, you shouldn't need to hide things like that."

• You have quoted the comment below and it says nothing of the sort. It says my info was more complete. when I re-read Gregron's comment and noticed it did not give ANY info or meal plans I edited comment out. All that is needed to know for nutrional advice is in the OP's first comment: He wants to lose fat/gain muscle and doesn't know a great deal about nutrition.

"One couldn't use that much protein at once? It sounds like you're saying that the body can only absorb so much in a single meal. Well that's just wrong. It's already been discussed enough on this forum that I'm not going to elaborate. If you want, you can dig through the old posts yourself."

You're 'just wrong'. It's a highly debatable/controversial subject with those who believe in intermittent fasting generally being on the 'loads' side. It also depends on your bodyweight, how much muscle mass you have and how riddled with micro-tears your muscles are etc. Here's one of many scientific studies that purport to show protein absorbtion limitations in the order of 25 grams per hour:

http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/277/5/G935.full

RE Oatmeal. I consider oatmeal to be a good complex carb source but there is more protein in two egg whites than there is in a large bowl of oats.

One should try to get as much protein as one can from meat. The human gut is 2-3 times more efficient at absorbing Iron from meat than from vege/grain based food. Meat has a much better balance of essential amino acids. Every grain/vege based protein source is deficient in at least one of the essentials. Grains also contain glutin and lectins(rice has lower levels when cooked).

"You really need to improve your own diet before you give diet advise to others. It's pretty bad. That's probably why you still way only weigh 184 lbs at a height of 6'4". And you push veggies so much I thought you would eat more yourself. Try adding a salad with spinach and tomato or something."

This was a single day's meal. The broccoli was the size of a tree and there was plenty of cabbage. Perhaps you could explain how you can give dietary advice to me based on a SINGLE day's eating(in light of what that day's food compriseed)? I have spinach several days a week and in large amounts. I eat tomatoes regularly too.

Perhaps you could help me with my diet? What am I doing wrong? I have the same goals as the OP. To lose fat and gain strength/muscle.

Here is todays food:

6:00AM - oatmeal with low carb with one serve of whey protein isolate powder mixed in.

9:00ish - 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled and served with a single piece of dry rye toast.

11:30ish - Cauliflower salad also containing walnuts, pumpkin seeds, cottage cheese, butter beans, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, black olives and capsicum. A few almonds afterwards.

2:30PM - Protein shake with half a banana in it after lifting.

About 5:00 I will have - Small tin of John West Wild Atlantic Salmon and a single piece of dry rye bread, about 6-8 green olives and some low fat Greek-style yogurt.

For dinner I've bought some Wild Baramundi fillets which I will grill and serve with brown rice and a lemon and parsley sauce(olive oil based not butter). I will also have a raw carrot, spinach and string beans. I'm not going to eat a tomato today just to keep you happy.

Please help me with my diet. I don't know what I'm doing.

That's good. Food logs are a great tool

Those are all pretty widely accepted theories/practices. Have most of your Carbs within you "workout window" (1-2 hours pre/post workout) is a good thing.

Can you give an example of what you ate today or yesterday?

OP--if you are looking for specific meal ideas and recipes, check the link below. It is an entire forum for recipes. Regarding the general stuff, greg seems to have that well in hand.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe&s=forumIndexCat

HaveIron, like I said earlier, I'm not going to hijack this thread. I'm done talking to you.

on a day with school this is what i ate

breakfast:
-2 eggs
-1 grapefruit
-1 peice of whole wheat flax bread
-protein shake

hockey: 1hr 1\2

pre-workout 5g creatine, 5g nitric oxide, 1 muffin
after-workout;5g creatine, 25 g protein

lunch:
-2 mini oranges
-1 peer
-1 tomato
-1 cup nacho chips
-3 cups chicken
-3 cups lettuce
-tbsp sour cream
-1 avocado
(salad)

supper:
-1 cup salmon
-1 cup cooked broccoli
- i cup cooked carrots

-i play hockey three days a week before school, then after hockey i go and workout over my lunch period at school, then i eat my lunch in class after, the other 2 days i workout out after school