Help with Deadlifts! Bad Plates!

The 45lb plates at my gym are not round, but have flat edges. When I do deadlifts, the bar often catches a corner of the plate and rolls forward and makes it difficult to do anything more than clusters of singles. I tried putting a five pound plate in front to stop the bar from rolling forward, and that did not work out so well. Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution?

Thanks for your help

You can try folding up mats and placing them on the ground under the plates.

I used to go to a gym with flat plates, but never really noticed any problems with them. I might have just re-adjusted my feet after each lift, now that I think about it. Either that, or if it really bothers you, just touch and go…don’t set the weight down completely, and lift that thing up as soon as it makes contact with the floor. That way it won’t get a chance to roll.

I actually really disagree with GrayCrane. Touch n go can be fine for hypertrophy purposes (really only if your form is already really good), but if you are going for big numbers (which I assume you are cuz this is PL section) you should pull from dead-stop every rep, touch and go strength does not really convert to dead-stop strength, since touch n go takes way too much advantage of the stretch reflex.
That being said, just reset your feet every rep, not that big a deal…

[quote]WRPL wrote:
I actually really disagree with GrayCrane. Touch n go can be fine for hypertrophy purposes (really only if your form is already really good), but if you are going for big numbers (which I assume you are cuz this is PL section) you should pull from dead-stop every rep, touch and go strength does not really convert to dead-stop strength, since touch n go takes way too much advantage of the stretch reflex.
That being said, just reset your feet every rep, not that big a deal…[/quote]

Maybe you’re right but I’ve always thought that stretch reflex was a good thing since it allows you to lift more weight, and that’s why you shouldn’t sit in the down position for too long before lifting?

Set the pins in a squat rack to the lowest height and then stand on something like an aerobic step to get the height right. Otherwise, some commercial gyms have a deadlift rack that you can set the pins to any level all the way down to a 4 inch deficit. Don’t be confused though, in most gyms this can be confused for a curl platform. This works for me as a workaround to those dumb octagonal plates.

I have Iron Grip, friggin angled plates in my home gym and have run into the rolling scenario.

I also have 8" cinder blocks and some skinny pieces of rubber matting. I can set the bar on those, put some plates under my feet and deadlift that way. Height from feet to bar ends up being about the same as if it were on the floor. Works great and actually makes it easier to load/unload plates on the bar. It’s a variation of ajcook99’s solution.

Sucks for sumo DL’ing though.

[quote]WRPL wrote:

i do 5/3/1, doing deads touch n go style. about a month ago i hit a 520 DL after starting with a max of 405 from february. nothing but touch n go. dont believe everything you read, example- touch n go deads dont carry over to max strength. at the time of my 520 pull, the most id pulled was i believe 435 x 7, so it clearly transferred over in my case. i think the most accurate thing to say would be that touch n go works for some, possibly not for others. youll never know til you try.

Just stick to singles and clusters. Thats the best way to work deadlifts anyways.

Yeah, I’ve only been doing singles and clusters. Resetting my feet just doesn’t feel right because deadlifting has so much to do with pushing down into the ground with the heels. The power rack suggestion was something I thought about, but my gym doesn’t have power racks, it just has the shitty squat racks that don’t adjust.

Touch and go isn’t powerlifting, but what the idiots who read mens health do for high reps with form that makes it hard to call deadlifting (and weight that usually screams “I am a PUSSY!!!”). I think I will try the mats (if I can find any) and I will look for some aerobic steps (cinder blocks, I envy you).

Thanks for all the ideas, though. But you might see some action on the forums in the coming years talking about how great singles are if I can’t make anything else work…

[quote]WRPL wrote:

Not trying to highjack a thread, but Jim Wendler pulled 710 raw after his original 5-3-1 year cycle and he trains touch and go. I’ve done both personally, as I get closer to a meet I’ll do more dead stop, but don’t think that you CAN’T touch and go, as long as you get stronger, your 1RM should go up. Rant over.

[quote]scubasteve2105 wrote:
WRPL wrote:
That being said, just reset your feet every rep, not that big a deal…

Not trying to highjack a thread, but Jim Wendler pulled 710 raw after his original 5-3-1 year cycle and he trains touch and go. I’ve done both personally, as I get closer to a meet I’ll do more dead stop, but don’t think that you CAN’T touch and go, as long as you get stronger, your 1RM should go up. Rant over.[/quote]

Agreed, especially if you weaknesses aren’t your setup or off the floor. But touch and go can get ugly with the hex plates, because if the corner hits the ground it will go every which way.

Everything gets ugly with the hex plates