Help with Deadlifts and Squats

Hey guys, just here to ask some of the powerlifters what you guys do for the initial pull on the deadlift.

Ive dropped conventional deads for a couple months and replaced it with rack pulls and my numbers increased quite significantly. The only thing I’m having a problem with is the first part of the lift, getting it off the ground. I feel if I can get it off the ground, I can lock it out eventually as I never missed a lift on the lockout.

And for the squats, I’m currently doing box squats and loving it. Just to get a better understanding, you are supposed to sit and stop at the bottom then explode up right? I also feel it more on my hamstrings more so than on the quads.

Thanks for any input.

Power cleans really help me explode off the floor. Throw some heavy ones in the mix and you will be surprised how much they help the bottom part of the deadlift.

What helps me the most off the floor is ensuring my flexibility is up to par so I can get down where I’m supposed to comfortably and that my body mechanics are working the way they’re supposed to instead of being all screwy because I’m tight.

Getting my quads stronger has helped off the floor, deficit dealifts help, too.

I generally don’t have trouble off the floor, though.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
What helps me the most off the floor is ensuring my flexibility is up to par so I can get down where I’m supposed to comfortably and that my body mechanics are working the way they’re supposed to instead of being all screwy because I’m tight.

Getting my quads stronger has helped off the floor, deficit dealifts help, too.

I generally don’t have trouble off the floor, though. [/quote]

Well, I don’t work on my flexibility all that much but I’ve been trying to do more BASIC stretches as of late. If you have any ideas on actual movements or mobility stuff I can use, I’d love to give 'em a try.

And I THINK from my own experience, the issue is strength on initial pull, cause like I said, I have never lost a deadlift on the lockout.

Oh yeah I forgot about deficit deadlifts aka deaflifts off a box. Stack a couple 45s under the bar works pretty good.

If you have never done power cleans, now is the time to start. Also you don’t have to say, but what weight are you getting stuck with? Also what grip are you using? Are you using straps?

[quote]elano wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot about deficit deadlifts aka deaflifts off a box. Stack a couple 45s under the bar works pretty good.

If you have never done power cleans, now is the time to start. Also you don’t have to say, but what weight are you getting stuck with? Also what grip are you using? Are you using straps?[/quote]

I’ve been trying to start learning power cleans and never got around doing it :slight_smile: so yeah, I probably should start.

And I’m stuck at the 5th rep on 275. I use overhand grip cause I can’t do underhand on my left arm due to a fracture about 6 years ago(my left arm looks like a fuckin snake). And no I don’t use straps. Thinking about using chalk but my gym wont allow it. Is liquid chalk a good investment?

I have never really had a problem off the floor until recently. I added some more tension and chain to my speed pulls and now it’s not a problem anymore. Just changing that and doing a little more grip work took me from 771 in septemebr to 825 in training this month.

And yes, get the liquid chalk. Then don’t be suprised if your deadlift goes up 100lbs instantly. haha.

Oh yea, power cleans arent hard to learn. Just grab the bar, jump, shrug, and catch. That’s it. If you aren’t planning on being an olympic weightlifter, it does not need to be more complicated than that.

Cleans will help your start on deadlifts but think, “why will they help?” Because you are pulling with a ton of speed to get the bar up. I’m telling you, add in some speed work and your deadlift will go up, pun intended.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Oh yea, power cleans arent hard to learn. Just grab the bar, jump, shrug, and catch. That’s it. If you aren’t planning on being an olympic weightlifter, it does not need to be more complicated than that.

Cleans will help your start on deadlifts but think, “why will they help?” Because you are pulling with a ton of speed to get the bar up. I’m telling you, add in some speed work and your deadlift will go up, pun intended.[/quote]

I’ve been adding some power cleans lately but I’m not exploding until the bar passes my knees. Do you think I should explode right from the floor instead?