T Nation

Help With Cardio: How Much?

just want to know how much running could i get by with , without lossing strength. i just to lean out and i want to be in a lower weight class the 240

[quote]parsley_2010 wrote:
just want to know how much running could i get by with , without lossing strength. i just to lean out and i want to be in a lower weight class the 240 [/quote]
I would walk hills first. From what I’ve read here in the past, you can forget about jogging. Doing segments of sprinting helps the most. But if you are trying to lose weight, do what I do. Watch your diet and walk. You may not have mountains near you, but I walk up a steep mountain side in Pennsylvania 3 or 4 times a week. Keeps me thin and it’s good for the quads, calfs and hams. Swimming works great for losing weight too.

Don’t run. At our age, the pressure on joints and the risk of heart infarction are huge. Don’t be Rocky. Take it easy on your joints and your heart.
Good luck.

[quote]parsley_2010 wrote:
just want to know how much running could i get by with , without lossing strength. i just to lean out and i want to be in a lower weight class the 240 [/quote]
Define what cardio is. If you are talking about low intensity, long duration work, than no too much. If your goal is to be able to run at a slow pace for a long time then yes, by all means run.
What are your goals? Not long term mixed bag of “I want to increase muscle mass and lose fat and get stronger”, rather, at your next training session and the next two weeks, if given one choice, what will it be?

Your post indicates leaning out while maintaining strength. A deficit of calories and frequent low rep work will do this. What are you doing now?

Hi Parsley

I use digital treadmills at my gym. I probably should use the x trainer (ski machine thing) to save on knee impact, but I like the treadmill /shrug

Anyway, I just went in for my physical and my doctor recommends cardio pretty much any and every day (I still take a day off to rest). If I can do an hour, he has no problems with that and indicated that would accelerate my weight loss (I’m about 100 lbs overweight).

I do find that doing cardio post lifting…it is much easier to keep my target heart rate in the correct zone at lower speeds on the treadmill.

Anyway, hope that helps some.

im a power lifter and i want to be in a lower weight class 240 right now im 260 maybe lower not real sure right now but the lower my body weight and the higher the total the better i am .

so i dont want to run for miles , just enough to lean out if i could get to 10% i think that would be good. i know i need to watch my diet . i was thinking about buying a sled and draging it. thanks for the help

One thing that may be important to remember is not to try and drop this weight to quick. Otherwise you will lose LBM. No more than 1kg per week of weight lose (fat).

Your goal is the same as mine but I want to drop 18kg to lower body fat levels and make 100kg class.

I hope to achieve this through diet, walking and using an indoor rower.

best of luck

I forgot to say I don’t run due my weight and my gym workouts. I will walk 3 times a week a rower 3 times a week with 30min sessions. The rowing sessions will intervals.

Check this out; I wrote it with strength athletes in mind:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=548070

It’d be perfect for you; I use these principles myself to this day.

www.EricCressey.com

Just a thought-have you ever tried hitting the heavy bag? I’m 46-and this works really well for me. My knees can’t take the jogging.