T Nation

Help with Breakfast Please...

Okay, since this is my first post I’ll start by saying hello to everyone. I’m 18 and have been lifting for about a year. I’m 5’11 and weigh between 130-135 lbs. Before the thousands of shut up and eat comments, I am full aware that I must in fact shut up and eat. That is why I’m here asking for help on how to do it most efficiently. (also keep in mind before I started lifting I was about 110 lbs and am an extreme hard gainer)

Now, on to the question. I’ll be starting to bulk again in a few days (I haven’t been able to lift for about a week and a half now due to some annoying circumstances)and while I very much appreciate any tips on what to eat/when to eat it etc my biggest problem is breakfast. I understand that breakfast is the time when you should pack as much food in as possible, but when I wake up my stomach simply does not large quantities of food; in fact I have to struggle to eat anything at all. So I guess I’m asking if anyone has every experienced this problem or tips to prime your stomach for breakfast.

tl;dr
sup guys im skinny as hell and can’t eat breakfast. help.

Experiment to find the timing for when you eat dinner at night and wake up in the morning to take a shit. With your now clean colon you’ll feel more primed to eat your breakfast. If it’s trouble stomaching things early in the morning, just eat something small to stop your fast and wait a little bit before eating. It’s something your body needs time to adjust to but will eventually become normal.

I also could never eat breakfast and struggled to eat in the morning. I’ve found when I drink about half a litre of water when i wake up, in about 30 mins i’m absolutely starving and then I can eat. Probably best to eat something with eggs and meat and some major carbs like oatmeal.

Depends how much time you have. If you wake up and are out the door in 15 minutes, then buy a quart of milk on the way to work/school. If you have a little extra time, down a shake and some oatmeal. I’m not a big breakfast eater myself. The important thing is to get some protein and carbs in your system before you start your day.

thanks guys, I’ll definitely give the pre-breakfast water a shot, Marzouk. Slight aside-any suggestion for high fiber foods?

Hey Leamy, I’m 5’9" and weighed 130 lbs when I started roughly 2.5 years ago. I now weigh 175 lbs and still to this day have trouble stomaching food in the morning. The biggest thing I found was not thinking how “unhungry” I was but rather finding something I could get down-- like it or not.

My current breakfest is this:
4 egg whites
plain oatmeal with cinnamon and raisens
Greek yogurt
some type of fruit (banana, strawberries, blue berries, clementine, etcetera)

I eat basically the same thing every single day, and I am used to eating it. I don’t really enjoy it, but I can get it down and I thank myself later for having the food. I eat the food in that exact order too, from hardest to eat, to easiest.

When I was in college, I drank a weight gainer shake on my drive to class and then a couple hours later I had an appetite and would eat Bonjangles or whatever the hell sounded good at the time. The weight gainer I used was Optimum Nutrition’s Serious Mass, I would drink two half servings a day on top of three fairly big meals a day and it worked like a charm. I hope that helps, good luck and congrats on the 20 lbs.

i find chucking stuff in a blender and making a hooge shake can help for breakfast

[quote]Leamy wrote:
thanks guys, I’ll definitely give the pre-breakfast water a shot, Marzouk. Slight aside-any suggestion for high fiber foods?[/quote]

Oatmeal is high in fiber, but throw in some high fruit fruit such as an Apple (make sure to eat the skin) pears, bananas, figs and berries.

Eat your breakfast and some fruit and your good to good! Even carry a couple pieces with you throughout the day to snack on.

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Hey Leamy, I’m 5’9" and weighed 130 lbs when I started roughly 2.5 years ago. I now weigh 175 lbs and still to this day have trouble stomaching food in the morning.

[/quote]

Evolv, may I ask you how many calories you were eating in the beginning to put on weight vs. how many you need to consume now?

When I was 125 lbs. I could gain weight eating around 2400 calories a day. Now I’m at 150 and I need about 3200 a day to gain. I’m curious to see how much I may have to eat if I want to get up to 170 or 180.

Leamy, I used to hate breakfast, and would struggle with a bowl a cereal! Lately my body gets me up in the middle of the night craving calories and when I wake up I can get at least 500 calories in without any effort. Now if only I could get myself to eat cleaner…

I’m the exact same way, not only with stomaching food in the morning, but with preparing it in the morning. So i blend up a huge shake at night consisting of coconut milk, oatmeal, whey, blueberries and almond butter, and i drink half at night and save the other half for the morning. I wake up drink 2 glasses of water then drink the shake on the way to work. Makes life easy and gives me 1000+ calories right of the bat.

I also notice that eating a large meal at night relatively close to bed time makes me more hungry in the morning.

Hopefully you can find something that works and can get used to it every morning. good luck.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
i find chucking stuff in a blender and making a hooge shake can help for breakfast[/quote]

This.

It’s extremely easy to down +/-1000 calories via shake.

For example, this afternoon, I threw

-1-1.5 Cups whole milk
-6 Eggs
-1 Tbsp cocoa powder
-2 scoops chocolate protein powder
-2-3 Tbsp Peanut butter

in my blender, and it actually tasted pretty good. If you have taste issues, throw some sweet n low, sugar, splenda, or stevia in there. At your weight, a few extra carbs probably won’t hurt you anyways. You can add some yogurt and/or cottage cheese as well for some more quality calories at a pretty low price. Usually these shakes come to around 30-35 ounces, and go down quickly…BAM, a good chunk of my daily calories down the hatch in 5-10 minutes from start to cleanup.

To be more hungry in the morning, buy a cheap fiber supplement, and every night before you go to bed, drink a protein shake with a tbsp or 2 of fiber powder in it. Every night I do this, I shit first thing when I wake up the next morning.

I like oatmeal and eggs for my breakfast. Try this recipe for your oatmeal:

1/2 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 scoop vanilla whey
Cinnamon to taste
Dash of wheat germ
Dash of flax seeds
Small amount of maple syrup (pure maple syrup)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Throw the oats in a bowl, pour the whey on top, and then add the milk, stirring until the whey is more or less dissolved. Microwave for two minutes and then add the cinnamon, wheat germ, flax seeds, and maple syrup. Thoroughly mix until the color and consistency is even and then mix in the blueberries. It’s fairly quick, damn tasty, and tastes almost nothing like regular oatmeal. Plus it’s great for clearing out any unpleasant lingering scents in your microwave.

Mind you, the oats and milk are the only things I really measure; the rest is just eyeballed. Using milk and vanilla whey for the oatmeal makes a great starting point, though, and you can add pretty much whatever you want to it.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
i find chucking stuff in a blender and making a hooge shake can help for breakfast[/quote]

This.

It’s extremely easy to down +/-1000 calories via shake.

For example, this afternoon, I threw

-1-1.5 Cups whole milk
-6 Eggs
-1 Tbsp cocoa powder
-2 scoops chocolate protein powder
-2-3 Tbsp Peanut butter

in my blender, and it actually tasted pretty good. If you have taste issues, throw some sweet n low, sugar, splenda, or stevia in there. At your weight, a few extra carbs probably won’t hurt you anyways. You can add some yogurt and/or cottage cheese as well for some more quality calories at a pretty low price. Usually these shakes come to around 30-35 ounces, and go down quickly…BAM, a good chunk of my daily calories down the hatch in 5-10 minutes from start to cleanup.

To be more hungry in the morning, buy a cheap fiber supplement, and every night before you go to bed, drink a protein shake with a tbsp or 2 of fiber powder in it. Every night I do this, I shit first thing when I wake up the next morning. [/quote]

That shake sounds amazing, but are there no issues with just drinking raw eggs? Forgive me if I’m misinformed by the media about TEH HORRIBLE SALMONELLAZ (I don’t doubt I am, but I’m just checking you don’t do anything to them before so I don’t go drink six raw eggs without behing sure its safe) but yeah…

Rocky did it so it must be good for you!