T Nation

Help With Box Squats

Hey guys,
I have finally found me a broom stick and a milk crate(much better than a bench...) to practice box squats on. I am doing much better. However, I still have one really bad problem, its really annoying and won't allow good form. My box is WAY below parrallel, its 10.5" or so, I have long legs, my lower legs are like 17". I have stacked some books on it, a phone book aand a bunch of magazines. Its up to about 14" now, so its a lot better. When I get down to the box I keep tight as I can but when I go to get up, I have to rock forward a bit. What can I do to fix this???

for now, put your box height even higher until you don't rock anymore...

once you get decent form start lowering your box height from week to week until you get to parallel or just below parallel...

you also need to get your posterior chain much stronger...start doing lots of romanian deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, conventional deadlifts, pull-throughs, good-mornings, GHR, reverse hypers, ect...

search through the archives for Dave Tate's squatting articles and read them several times...

if you know anyone that can give you a good critique of your squat form in person ask him/her for help...if you have the time and money you might want to attend one of Dave Tate's seminars too...

good luck!