Help with Blood Work

I was havig a few of the symptoms for low test. levels, so I got my blood work done.It came back today but I don’t understand any of it.I’m 35,5’10,220.lbs.

Testosterone
3.28 ref. range 2.00-801. ng/ml
TSH
2.07 ref.range 0.27-4.20 uIU/ml
Estradiol <20.0 pg/ml ref. range 7.63-42.59 pg/ml
I’m not sure but they look kinda low to me.Any help would be appricated.Thanks.

That T is total testosterone [TT]. Units are 200 - 801 ng/dL? -not 2.00 - 801 -not ng/ml?

Or 3.28 2.00 - 8.01 pg/ml?

Please clarilfy the above.

3.28 does not make sense. Was that 328?

Are you looking at a fuzzy fax?

The lab does not show E2 levels below 20. This will make more sense in the context of your TT number - which cannot be 3.28

What is your build or %BF?

Anything else on the lab resport?

That’s how the lab has it listed.I got a photo copy of it from my doctor.Thats why I don’t understand it.
As for my build I have a small pot belly.thet’s the only area I have ant fat.
Maybe they ment pg/ml,but put ng/ml instead.The lab was NORDx.It’s a full lab workup for my physical.

I could use some help also. I’m 52 and went in feeling wore down and worthless. They did a test on my hormones, here are the results…

Total T = 252 (range 240 - 950)
Bioavailable T = 83 (range 50-190)
Free T = 6.9 (range 12 - 30)
T = .22 (range .18 -.78)
Prolactin = 7 (range 3-30)
FSH = 6.3 (range 1.3-19.3)
LH = 6 (range 1.2-8.6)

Suggestions?

joeym

Many doctors test only for FT and base TRT on that. You should be able to get TRT. When TT is higher than one would expect relative to very low FT, this can simply be indicating that SHBG is elevated. Estradiol [E2] can elevate SHBG.

You really need to have serum E2 tested to complete the picture. Your weight, waist, % body fat and fat distribution patterns are also indicative of estrogen effects.

LH and FST are normal. With low T, one would expect a normally functioning hypothalamus and pituitary to be pushing LH even higher. In your case, the inhibitory effects of estrogen+prolactin may be responsible for some of these problems. That effect can lower T significantly. In that case, lowering E2 will improve things but results are often marginal and TRT is still needed to get a good result.

What time of day was the blood draw done?

Drugs, Rx and otherwise, alcohol, smoking, supplements, ephedra can increase E.

Get TRT and check E2 now and routinely.

Your symptoms are consistent with hypogonadism. Many of those symptoms are also common to hypothyroidism.

It was drawn first thing in the morning.no drugs,just smoke.just got T3,T4,LH,FSH &IGF-1 test yesterday results will be in on Friday.Found an anti aging clinic in Fl. that is willing to put me on TRT.

Thanks KSman, I appreciate your help, one thing is sure, doctors certainly don’t seem to want to go in depth about these things. If you don’t mind I’m going to draw a bigger picture here and will keep it as brief as possible.

Almost a year ago I asked my PCP (primary care physician) to test my hormone levels and he said I didn’t need them checked. I’m a big guy, beard, etc, I guess he figured I didn’t LOOK like my hormones were off. So I blew it off until this past May and then asked again and when the nurse said he didn’t feel I needed it I told them I wanted a new doctor.

In May I got blood drawn and went for results around beginning of June. There was only 2 numbers and I didn’t know anything about all this so they didn’t mean much to me.

Testosterone 0.32 (range 0.18-0.78) collected 11AM
Thyroid TSH 4.06 (range 0.40-4.00)

The Doc decides to draw blood again for a more detailed report. I don’t remember all the numbers but I DO remember Free T was 8.3 out of a range of 12 to 30. He decides I need to go see the urologist and until he appointment he would give me testosterone shots once a month (appointment was 2 months later).

I go to the Urologist; he has me tested again and gets these results:

Collected 9AM
TOT 252, 240-950
BioA 83, 50-190
FreeT 6.9 12-30
T .22, .18-.78
Prolactin 7, 3-30
FSH 6.3, 1.3-19.3
LH 6.8 , 1.2-8.6

(Keep in mind I had 2 T shots at this point and this blood was taken 30 days after my last shot.)

The Urologist tells me I need to go to an Endocrinologist and in the meantime he put me on 5mg Androderm patches. By this time I had a little more knowledge and from reading I got the impression a testosterone shot every 2 weeks was probably the best way to go so I asked the doctor what he thought and he said the patch would be more consistent.

So, here I am, 2 weeks into the patch, still feeling like crap. Also a side note; there is no way I’m going to stick one of these big patches on my body every day for the rest of my life, it’s just to bulky and a pain to mess with. (Of course if it made me feel like a million bucks I might suffer through it)

Here are some stats:

Height 6’
Weight: 235
% Body fat, I don’t know but about 30 maybe and all the fat is located around the chest and belly area, (legs and arms are super lean)
No smoking, drugs or drinking

Question for KSman, based on the prolactin above do you think it’s high?

Joeym

I’m just now realizing that this is someone else’s thread, am I supposed to start a whole new post?

I really think they’re just freaked out about anything that has to do with the word “steroid” associated with it.

For what it’s worth, I discontinued the patch 2 days ago, I felt like I was getting puffy feeling and generally felt worse. I’m not sure what I’m going do now, I guess I’ll wait for my endo appointment. I’m just worried my estrogen was going up and making me feel worse.

[quote]joeym wrote:
I really think they’re just freaked out about anything that has to do with the word “steroid” associated with it.

For what it’s worth, I discontinued the patch 2 days ago, I felt like I was getting puffy feeling and generally felt worse. I’m not sure what I’m going do now, I guess I’ll wait for my endo appointment. I’m just worried my estrogen was going up and making me feel worse.[/quote]

Where are you located.

Perhaps we can find you a more suitable professional.

If your willing to drive/fly to see an expert, even better

Austin, Texas. But I can’t afford to go to anywhere other than my hospital because of my insurance. It’s really a bed situation for us men. They say men should make more of an effort to see doctors the way women do but look what happens when we do.

I kind of wish I didn’t even go so I wouldn’t even know my testosterone was low. Now that I know it’s like I keep thinking, wow, no matter what I do to get healthy I’m going to be fighting an uphill battle.

Back in October (before I thought to check my T levels)I was telling my doctor I didn’t feel normal anymore; he put my on an antidepressant. I took that for 2 months and said the hell with this, it’s just making me numb, so I tossed them out.

They sure don’t mind boosting serotonin in your brain,YOUR BRAIN!! But ask to boost a hormone in your testicles? No way.