T Nation

Help With Available Supplements

Hello, I posted here in the past and explained my situation, but here it is again.

I am unable to order anything off the internet, I don’t have a credit card. I am also a college student, so it is difficult for me to eat well. I really want to help myself, I have already lost quite a bit of weight about 50 pounds, and currently jumping between 180-185 pounds.

I have a horrible diet that I’m trying to correct because I have to eat food directly from the college. Where I go, it is mandatory to eat their food if you live on campus, and if you don’t you waste money for paying for a plan. I try my best, eating grilled chicken breasts and salads with no dressing and getting water.

I am trying to get supplements that could serve as an alternative, available at GNC. I used to be a pretty strong guy, because I lifted weights at a very young age, but then I broke my arm and it kills me to lift weights now. I lost a lot of fat around my body after June of 2007, but I still have a huge fat percentage, currently at about 20-24%. So I need to do more muscle training. I made the mistake of doing nothing but cardio to lose weight and I am trying to correct it.

Here are the supplements I have used in the past, and they are all running out so I need to get more. This means I want to get better supplements and want the advice from you guys.

Whey Protein- SportPharma Whey Protein
GNC CLA
Nature Made Fish Oil

How are these suppliments?

Revolution Abdominal Cuts
Abdominal Cuts Proprietary Blend 2400.00 mg
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
GLA (gamma Linolenic Acid)(omega-6)
ALA (alpha-Linoleic Acid)(omega-3)
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) (omega-3)
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)(omega-3)
Sesamin (Sesame Oil)
Vitamin E
This is the closest thing I could find to Flameout. Does it look decent?
gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3013020

Caffeine-Free Spike
Has anyone had any experience with this? What kind of different effect with the Caffeine-Free version have compared with the regular version.

As a side note, I went to GNC and I don’t know how you guys feel about the store, but everyone who worked there told me to not buy HOT-ROX or Spike. I was pretty blown away, but they told me about all kinds of complaints they have gotten and horrible responses from people. Now, I don’t know if they have something against Biotest or what, but everyone here seems to like HOT-ROX and Spike. Are these GNC guys just a bunch of morons?

Thanks a lot guys. I’ll really appreciate everyones help.

[quote]Haymaker33 wrote:
Hello, I posted here in the past and explained my situation, but here it is again.

I am unable to order anything off the internet, I don’t have a credit card. I am also a college student, so it is difficult for me to eat well. I really want to help myself, I have already lost quite a bit of weight about 50 pounds, and currently jumping between 180-185 pounds.

I have a horrible diet that I’m trying to correct because I have to eat food directly from the college. Where I go, it is mandatory to eat their food if you live on campus, and if you don’t you waste money for paying for a plan. I try my best, eating grilled chicken breasts and salads with no dressing and getting water.

I am trying to get supplements that could serve as an alternative, available at GNC. I used to be a pretty strong guy, because I lifted weights at a very young age, but then I broke my arm and it kills me to lift weights now. I lost a lot of fat around my body after June of 2007, but I still have a huge fat percentage, currently at about 20-24%. So I need to do more muscle training. I made the mistake of doing nothing but cardio to lose weight and I am trying to correct it.

Here are the supplements I have used in the past, and they are all running out so I need to get more. This means I want to get better supplements and want the advice from you guys.

Whey Protein- SportPharma Whey Protein
GNC CLA
Nature Made Fish Oil

How are these suppliments?

Revolution Abdominal Cuts
Abdominal Cuts Proprietary Blend 2400.00 mg
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
GLA (gamma Linolenic Acid)(omega-6)
ALA (alpha-Linoleic Acid)(omega-3)
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) (omega-3)
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)(omega-3)
Sesamin (Sesame Oil)
Vitamin E
This is the closest thing I could find to Flameout. Does it look decent?
gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3013020

Caffeine-Free Spike
Has anyone had any experience with this? What kind of different effect with the Caffeine-Free version have compared with the regular version.

As a side note, I went to GNC and I don’t know how you guys feel about the store, but everyone who worked there told me to not buy HOT-ROX or Spike. I was pretty blown away, but they told me about all kinds of complaints they have gotten and horrible responses from people. Now, I don’t know if they have something against Biotest or what, but everyone here seems to like HOT-ROX and Spike. Are these GNC guys just a bunch of morons?

Thanks a lot guys. I’ll really appreciate everyones help.[/quote]

not morons, they sometimes get extra $ for selling GNC pro performance products IIRC.

No they are morons. Some guy tried telling that I shouldn’t be taking tribulus because “he knows a bro that got messed up from it”. I go to supplement stores where the guy looks like a bodybuilder not some 160lb soy boy trying to tell me better. Oh yeah he then carded me to see if I’m 18. Anywho I recommend ON Whey protein, a decent multi GNC makes a decent one, and a stimulant of your choice.

You might also want to see if your bank can give you a visa check card, you can use those at any place which takes credit cards, and it draws straight from your checking account.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
No they are morons. Some guy tried telling that I shouldn’t be taking tribulus because “he knows a bro that got messed up from it”. I go to supplement stores where the guy looks like a bodybuilder not some 160lb soy boy trying to tell me better. Oh yeah he then carded me to see if I’m 18. Anywho I recommend ON Whey protein, a decent multi GNC makes a decent one, and a stimulant of your choice. [/quote]

Ah, one of the guys that works at mine is a football player. 400 pound hang clean, siilar incline press iirc. chubby guy though. He’s gotten me some better deals on protien powder then I would have gotten by myself, got me started on beta-alinine when it was on sale, and told me not to spend all my $ on dumb expencive creatines and just to get monohydrate. We sometimes shoot the shit if no one is waiting for me to leave. BTW: is it just me or is beta alinine pretty damn expensive. I only take it if I don’t feel like I’m going to be able to do my best without it.

I guess I just got lucky and had a decent guy working at mine.

A good Whey supplement from GNC could be ON(Optimum Nutrition) or Cytosport’s Whey Protein(company that makes muscle milk).

But yes, the guys that work at the counter in GNC are complete douche bags. I’ve had too many run ins with them at my local malls. That’s why I either purchase online, or goto the little supplement places near me that have like former BBers or Power lifters working the counter.

[quote]football061 wrote:
A good Whey supplement from GNC could be ON(Optimum Nutrition) or Cytosport’s Whey Protein(company that makes muscle milk).

But yes, the guys that work at the counter in GNC are complete douche bags. I’ve had too many run ins with them at my local malls. That’s why I either purchase online, or goto the little supplement places near me that have like former BBers or Power lifters working the counter.[/quote]

AMEN! Cytosport gives me the bubble guts and the shits.

[quote]Ninjaboy wrote:
You might also want to see if your bank can give you a visa check card, you can use those at any place which takes credit cards, and it draws straight from your checking account.[/quote]

Just in case you didn’t see this. There are also plenty of ways to purchase online without a credit card or even a bank account - look up NetSpend.

I think though, you’re asking the wrong question. If your cafeteria is all-you-care-to-eat, and you’re about a year or two away from living on your own and having money, give some thought to bulking.

But wouldn’t bulking just make me look bigger? I’m trying to reduce my fat percentage because i think its a lot for my size.

Yes, if you bulk you will get bigger, or at least should, but there is some good that will come of this. First off you will end up loosing more fat in the long run by putting on more muscle. Perhaps I better explain, when you just sit around your body is using energy, calories, to keep itself going, now if you have more muscle your body will use more energy just while sitting around. Even as you sleep you will burn more calories with more muscle on you. thus loosing more fat while doing nothing. I am not saying that this is enough fat burning, but it is a nice little extra boost.

As for the “extra” fat you will gain while bulking, a well done bulking cycle can put on muscle with very little added fat pounds, but that is a discussion for a different day, as I don’t really feel like getting into a good bulking cycle as there are enough good programs on this site to begin with.

And lastly, not to mention most important what is wrong with looking bigger as long as your not looking fatter? Nothing, putting on muscle is good for you. Now that this tread is completely off topic.

I would agree that ON is most likely one of the best bang for your buck cheap proteins out there, only thing to be aware of is that some people tend to get gassy from it. Neither my training partner or I had the problem when we got a free tub, and went through it, but it has been known to react that way with some people.

Then a good multi vitamin, I say good because, I recently herd something interesting from a plumber friend of mine. Apparently cheap vitamins don’t really get broken down well in our systems, and then have a tendency to clog up septic systems. As a backup source I ran this by a professor I know and he confirmed the story. Although they could both be wrong, but I doubt it.

From there I would say what you are taking would depend on if you are bulking or cutting. I would get into it more, but alas, time to go back to work.

Good luck,
Z

Does your school salad bar have a good selection of veggies? If they do, I’d recommend skipping the multivitamin and loading up at the salad bar with onions, peppers, broccoli, carrots, califlower and the like. You’ll save money, and probably get a better blend of vitamins in a more digestible form.

Ya, they have a good salad bar there. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

So far the articles I have read have been about weight loss, like the V-Diet and stuff like that. But what articles are their that is like “the goto guide for bulking” on here? Is their an author that wrote a particularly good one, I’m not finding any via the search bar.

Thanks

ON whey is probably the best deal for proetin. Vitaminne shoppe(sp) sells a gigantic 10lb dogfood sized bag of ON whey protein for 60 bucks. Its also some pretty tasty shit. I love the looks people give me when im walking out of the store with that huge ass bag, its wonderful. Also, check the salad thing, when i was doing a little cut after i got nice and pudgy from not working out due to surgery, All i had was tuna, hardboiled eggs and broccoli. Every college should have those things, and if they dont i suggest you transfer

Follow Berardi’s Seven Habits article and eat at above maintance, and you’ll get where you want to be. Also, look at his Massive Eating diet.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
ON whey is probably the best deal for proetin. Vitaminne shoppe(sp) sells a gigantic 10lb dogfood sized bag of ON whey protein for 60 bucks. [/quote]

There’s a good reason this protein is so cheap, and it’s not because it’s high quality.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Pipes06 wrote:
ON whey is probably the best deal for proetin. Vitaminne shoppe(sp) sells a gigantic 10lb dogfood sized bag of ON whey protein for 60 bucks.

There’s a good reason this protein is so cheap, and it’s not because it’s high quality.[/quote]

hmm…well whats your opinion on the Body Fortress protein sold in wal-marts? It seems pretty solid with essential amino acids along with some BCAA’s in it…i still supp the aminos seperately with the shake but it seems like a pretty good whey supplement

“the truth about bulking”
is pretty good

[quote]Haymaker33 wrote:
Hello, I posted here in the past and explained my situation, but here it is again.

I am unable to order anything off the internet, I don’t have a credit card. I am also a college student, so it is difficult for me to eat well. I really want to help myself, I have already lost quite a bit of weight about 50 pounds, and currently jumping between 180-185 pounds.

I have a horrible diet that I’m trying to correct because I have to eat food directly from the college. Where I go, it is mandatory to eat their food if you live on campus, and if you don’t you waste money for paying for a plan. I try my best, eating grilled chicken breasts and salads with no dressing and getting water.

I am trying to get supplements that could serve as an alternative, available at GNC. I used to be a pretty strong guy, because I lifted weights at a very young age, but then I broke my arm and it kills me to lift weights now. I lost a lot of fat around my body after June of 2007, but I still have a huge fat percentage, currently at about 20-24%. So I need to do more muscle training. I made the mistake of doing nothing but cardio to lose weight and I am trying to correct it.

Here are the supplements I have used in the past, and they are all running out so I need to get more. This means I want to get better supplements and want the advice from you guys.

Whey Protein- SportPharma Whey Protein
GNC CLA
Nature Made Fish Oil

How are these suppliments?

Revolution Abdominal Cuts
Abdominal Cuts Proprietary Blend 2400.00 mg
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
GLA (gamma Linolenic Acid)(omega-6)
ALA (alpha-Linoleic Acid)(omega-3)
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) (omega-3)
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)(omega-3)
Sesamin (Sesame Oil)
Vitamin E
This is the closest thing I could find to Flameout. Does it look decent?
gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3013020

Caffeine-Free Spike
Has anyone had any experience with this? What kind of different effect with the Caffeine-Free version have compared with the regular version.

As a side note, I went to GNC and I don’t know how you guys feel about the store, but everyone who worked there told me to not buy HOT-ROX or Spike. I was pretty blown away, but they told me about all kinds of complaints they have gotten and horrible responses from people. Now, I don’t know if they have something against Biotest or what, but everyone here seems to like HOT-ROX and Spike. Are these GNC guys just a bunch of morons?

Thanks a lot guys. I’ll really appreciate everyones help.[/quote]

Get some whey(ON is great, so is dynmatize), fish oil, and maybe a multi vitamin

[quote]Haymaker33 wrote:
But wouldn’t bulking just make me look bigger? I’m trying to reduce my fat percentage because i think its a lot for my size.[/quote]

Yeah… you bulk and gain muscle, and some fat… then you cut and in the end you have more muscle then you started out with