Help with Anorexia

I’ve lost 40 pounds since March and have just realized i have been mad undereating and over excercising taking in about 1500 calories and training twice a day i am recently 150 and have just started recovering I am noticing some bloating and water retention from the additional calries as well as mild constipation is this normal?

Can you please help me i too suffer from anorexia athletica and i am wondering if it is safe to workout while still in the recovery process or take time off? Please let me know also how long did it take you to fully recover and is there any tips you can give me to help me recover faster?

If you are suffering from anorexia, this is the wrong forum to ask advice. You need to talk to doctors, therapists, etc.

1500 calories is not anorexia… its very low… but not anorexia. Cut you training down to a hard session a day and add food you will be fine. Unless you honestly have some mental issue in which rehab or psychologist is your best bet not a powerlifting/bodybuilding web site.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
If you are suffering from anorexia, this is the wrong forum to ask advice. You need to talk to doctors, therapists, etc.[/quote]

This.

I think if you are realising this, and wanting to change, thats a great start

thanks guys as long as i can continue training

go ahead, just eat more good food.

Who diagnosed you?

I haven’t seen you write anything that supports that diagnosis.

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
go ahead, just eat more good food.[/quote]

If that advice is all anorexics need, where have you been all these years?!!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
go ahead, just eat more good food.[/quote]

If that advice is all anorexics need, where have you been all these years?!!![/quote]

at school, where do you think I learned it?

[quote]DylanPizzacalla wrote:
I am noticing some bloating and water retention from the additional calries as well as mild constipation is this normal?[/quote]
Bloating can be normal whenever you increase calories because you’re physically not used to handling/processing that much more food. Basic digestive enzymes might help, like papaya tablets. As far as the constipation, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water and getting enough fiber. Again, basic stuff that your body just might not be used to.

How tall are you and how old are you?

I think it might help if you tried to figure out some specific short, mid-term, and long-term goals so you have something concrete to work towards, in addition to “eating healthy”:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4884698
Once you’ve got those in place, it’ll be easier to get your eating in line and figure out a more appropriate training program. I’m sure you can stay active and keep to some kind of training plan right now, as long as it’s reasonable in frequency, intensity, and volume.

You might find better answers at http://www.anad.org

Who diagnosed you?

I haven’t seen you write anything that supports that diagnosis.[/quote]
Whether he has “textbook” anorexia or not, I think we can all agree that a 150-something pound guy, who’s already lost 40 pounds in 6 months, should not be training twice a day while only eating 1,500 calories, and it’s at least a positive that he realizes it’s a situation that needs to change.

Hey dude it is really brave to admit when you have a problem and try and confront it.

Why not start a log off on here and each day post your caloric intake. I am sure everyone here will show support and help with any problems best they can.

I would suggest exploring what lead you to adopt this corrosive lifestyle and decide for your self how best to change it for a healthy positive one that will give you experiences and opportunities that you desire.

The best way I have heard it put it go to bed tonight and when you wake imagine your in a movie and your the hero, you start off a loser, the Arnie putting pizza and beer into a blender for breakfast, imagine you are the hero of your movie and do what the hero would do.

Good luck and remember, no matter how shit the situation your in now is, you can always improve and turn shit around… unless your in Africa, or are an immigrant or got a leg blown off in Iraq, then you are fucked and I suggest taking it out on penguins at the zoo…

Who diagnosed you?

I haven’t seen you write anything that supports that diagnosis.[/quote]

X2. Unless you’re addicted to exercise you don’t have anorexia athletica.

Edit: what I mean by that ^ is a compulsive urge to exercise every day without fail and not leave the gym until you’ve burned ‘X’ amount of calories…

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Whether he has “textbook” anorexia or not, I think we can all agree that a 150-something pound guy, who’s already lost 40 pounds in 6 months, should not be training twice a day while only eating 1,500 calories, and it’s at least a positive that he realizes it’s a situation that needs to change.[/quote]

No, actually this guy and at least one other on this site calling themselves anorexic is a sign of misunderstanding if they were not diagnosed and based this on being small alone. I could see if it was an issue much smaller but this is a large enough mistake to confuse many people.

Whether he has “textbook” anorexia or not, I think we can all agree that a 150-something pound guy, who’s already lost 40 pounds in 6 months, should not be training twice a day while only eating 1,500 calories, and it’s at least a positive that he realizes it’s a situation that needs to change.[/quote]

No, actually this guy and at least one other on this site calling themselves anorexic is a sign of misunderstanding if they were not diagnosed and based this on being small alone. I could see if it was an issue much smaller but this is a large enough mistake to confuse many people.[/quote]

I agree with this. Self-diagnosis is a dangerous thing. If he were diagnosed by an actual doctor (psychiatrist [MD] or clinical psychologist [PhD]) it would be a different thing, but I don’t think that’s the case.

OP, I do think you’ve done a good thing by at least saying “hey, I’m heading in a direction I don’t really want to be going.” I suggest you take whatever energy you’ve been putting into your current training twice a day and apply it to lifting and eating.

No, actually this guy and at least one other on this site calling themselves anorexic is a sign of misunderstanding if they were not diagnosed and based this on being small alone.[/quote]
He’s not basing it “on being small alone”. As he very clearly said, “I’ve lost 40 pounds since March and have just realized i have been mad undereating and over excercising taking in about 1500 calories and training twice a day i am recently 150…”

He’s lost a lot of weight in a fairly short amount of time (we’re still waiting to find out how tall he is) and he realized that he’s been over-exercising and under-eating. Again, while it might not be textbook/clinical anorexia, I’d say those are anorexic-like “symptoms” and it’s definitely a good idea that he acknowledged it and is trying to correct things.

Maybe he shouldn’t be labeled anorexic, I agree there’s no way for anyone to Internet-diagnose that based off the little information presented. Maybe he’s simply uninformed with a super-crappy plan. In either case, if he returns back here, he can hopefully find some useful info to get him on track.

dylan,
check this out
http://thehealingproject.us/2012/09/22/book-summary-wheat-belly-by-william-davis-md/

that’s number 1.
2. im sure you have some therapist you are working with. keep going, or find a new therapist.
3. you need to be patient. it can take awhile for your body to completely recover.
depending on how long you have had this condition, you have probably created aome imbalances that will take some time to get back on track.

i imagine that you are highly intelligent and probably want to have great grades in school.
i can keep going on with more, but, i will wait dor your response.