T Nation

Help with a Sample Meal Plan?

Hey all, I was wondering if I could type up a sample meal plan that I usually do just about every day and would like to get some feedback on it. A little background on me first. I am 25 years old and work in an office. 6’0 between 193-200 pounds. I try and take as many breaks as possible and walk around the office as much as I can.

I have lifted inconsistently before so I would say I am an intermediate lifter. As far as body measurements, I do not have them yet but will be getting a fabric tape measure to do some measurements. Also, before I forget, does anyone know where I can get bodyfat calipers? I can’t find them in any sports stores.

To give you a description of me, I have some muscle but standing up my torso goes straight down from shoulder to hips as opposed to a v-shape. If I had to guess, I would say that I have about 15% body fat because the last time I went to a trainer that’s what they said I was which was 2 years ago. I am not quite ready to shell out the money for the V-Diet and would like to try and work on this my own.

Basically the workouts that I do are very similar to the ones Chad prescribed in the V-Diet. I am not overly concerned about my training schedule it is more my diet. So here goes:

Meal 1: 6:00 am
1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of Master’s Choice Natural Crunchy PB
5 eggs- 3 white, 2 whole
16 oz coffee

Meal 2: 9:00 am
Gala apple
20 Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds

Meal 3: 12:00
Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon Package
whole green pepper

Meal 4: 3:00
Whole green pepper
Metabolic Drive Protein shake with just water

Workout: 5:00
Surge Post workout

Meal 5: between 6-7:00
Chicken breast grilled with broccoli and onions

Bedtime at 9:00

Any suggestions, comments, or help would be greatly appreciated. I have not heard much about the green peppers so are they considered a green veggie that people talk so much about? Should I order some Superfood? L Leuccine? Flameout? I would really appreciate all your suggestions and help. Thank you.

I too am doing a Velocity Lite type of diet. I would use the Velocity 3.0 diet plan calculator to establish how many calories you should eat per day - both work out and non work out days http://www.T-Nation.com/programs/vdiet30/vDietProgram004.jsp Using this application, at approximate 195lbs, you should eat 1485 calories on non workout days, and 1815 calories on days you work out. The only difference between the days is the 2 scoops of Surge recovery drink - which is about 330 calories.

I use leucine in my shakes including post workout Surge recovery. I do not know the macro breakdowns of your diet since I do not know how much of each food you will eat. I suggest buying a simple food scale so that you can monitor how many calories you are eating. I really like to use the CalorieKing website http://www.calorieking.com/ to look for calorie and macro breakdowns.

As for the green pepper (from Calorie King - a large whole pepper is only 33 calories with 7.5g-2.8g fiber = 4.7 carbs, so it should not be a problem at all. http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-vegetables-fresh-peppers-bell-or-sweet-green-raw-edible-portion_f-Y2lkPTE0Nzc1JmJpZD0xJmZpZD03MDkzNSZlaWQ9Mzg2NjU5MTA3JnBvcz0xJnBhcj0ma2V5PWdyZWVuIHBlcHBlcg.html

I would order/use the supplements you listed - Superfood, L-Leucine and Flameout. Coach Shugart regards those as staples of his diet whether he does Velocity diet or not. I hope this helps.

P.s. I use amazon.com to look for many things including body fat calipers, stop watch to time rest between sets of Waterbury’s work out plans, etc…

Well, if you don’t want to do the velocity diet, I would suggest getting on a regular exercise schedule.

From your post, you A) lift inconsistently and B) walk as much as possible at work. That isn’t an exercise plan. And, even if you are eating well, that may not help you lose weight.

Green peppers, great vegetable. Feel free to vary the colors since they have different vitamins in them. But, I recommend eating something else with them, like carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. The more variety of veggies you get, the more vitamins you get.

Next, I would use an online calculator like fitday to calculate the amount of calories you are consumming in that sample diet. You may be undereating or even over eating. Just from what you posted, I think you are getting less than 1 gram of protein per pound. Some will say that isn’t necessary, but, until you know what you need, you need a goal and then you can adjust from there.

Let us know if you have more questions.