Help With a Program for Throwing

I joined my high school track team and I’m going to be throwing. I would like to develop a lifting program in accordance with the fact that I have limited time due to having practice on weekdays, and to help with the throwing movements.

“Stats”:
Age - 16
Training age - 8 months
Weight - 150 lbs. (up from 115ish before I started lifting)
Deadlift - 215 X 7
Front Squat - 145 X 4
Bench Press - probably around 140 for a max

Track practice goes til 4:30 everyday and I don’t get home til around 5. I’m not sure whether to eat something, wait a little while and then lift, or what (I would prefer to train often and short rather than less frequent and long).

I will begin bringing some grape juice to sip on during practice to prevent catabolism (should I also put some l-glutamine in?). I’m looking for strength but also to break this plateau of 150 lbs. (been at that weight for over a month). I’m not sure what throw I’m going to be concentrating on.

Help would be appreciated, and if you need to know more info, just ask.

Thanks.

I hate to sound like a broken record here but seeing as you need a very basic strength routine, I’ll refer you to Bill Starr and the 5x5. Use the version with Power Cleans and High Pulls (instead of Barbell rows and Deadlifts).

Also, search Dan John’s stuff here and at DanJohn.org.

How’s your tollerance for whole milk?

This statement will be heresy on this site, but don’t sweat the weights right now (even though you do need to be much stronger to be an effective thrower). For weights, just do whatever the coach asks. Put most of your time and effort, even outside of practice, into learning the throws.

After the season ends, start an off season training program to put on the size and strength. As a reader on this site, you will have learned a lot more by then to be able to put together an effective program.

Hmm…thanks for the different perspectives.
I have never had whole milk so I am not sure about my tolerance to it. What did you have in mind?

I am not sure if throwing is something that I want to focus on to the exclusion of weights at this point. I joined as a means to have something to use my weight training towards.

Of course I’ll reevaluate in the future but right now I feel like I would like to keep lifting. How does something like Dan John’s One Lift A Day sound? I would pick the big movements for probably 5 days a week.

There’s been a lot of milk discussion around here. It’s simply a very easy, inexpensive way to get your daily alotment of calories in which it seems very few people seem to be able to do.

I usually drink a gallon or a little less per day.

I really like the One Lift A Day program.

I’d still lean toward the 5x5 because for one, you get very accustomed to and proficient at the lifts due to the higher frequency (3x per week for squats and 2x for others). And the fact that doing a 5rm may be more appropriate for you now than a 2rm in week 3 or O.L.A.D.

[quote]hazerfazer wrote:
Hmm…thanks for the different perspectives.
I have never had whole milk so I am not sure about my tolerance to it. What did you have in mind?

I am not sure if throwing is something that I want to focus on to the exclusion of weights at this point. I joined as a means to have something to use my weight training towards.

Of course I’ll reevaluate in the future but right now I feel like I would like to keep lifting. How does something like Dan John’s One Lift A Day sound? I would pick the big movements for probably 5 days a week. [/quote]

This is a noble endeavor. One thing to consider, though, is that most athletes lift in season in an attempt to maintain their strength, not necessarily to gain strength. You generally work on developing increases in strength during the off season, and spend your in season working on technique, speed, etc.

[quote]Modi wrote:
This is a noble endeavor. One thing to consider, though, is that most athletes lift in season in an attempt to maintain their strength, not necessarily to gain strength. You generally work on developing increases in strength during the off season, and spend your in season working on technique, speed, etc.[/quote]

Maybe but there’s no reason to give up getting stronger “in season”. I’ve always hated the word “maintain”.

That’s all beside the point anyway. The OP wrote this below in his post…

I’d worry about “in-season” and “off-season” somewhere down the road. It appears as if he’s not even thrown yet. Too soon to worry about “maintaining” anything in my opinion .

Follow Dan John’s Big 21 program.

Throwing is very cool, but you have to be dedicated and want to do high school sports or you’ll hate it. The coach will have you training a lot…as is needed.

sorry for off topicing but.

What exercises would be the best to improve a team handball players jump shot strenght ?
i think theres alot of confussion on this subject cause some say it is explosive triceps and explosive chest exercises that will help the most. others say that you have to train your obliques.

So what would be the best way to improve a jump shot `?

[quote]derek wrote:
Maybe but there’s no reason to give up getting stronger “in season”. I’ve always hated the word “maintain”.

That’s all beside the point anyway. The OP wrote this below in his post…

“I am not sure if throwing is something that I want to focus on to the exclusion of weights at this point. I joined as a means to have something to use my weight training towards.”

I’d worry about “in-season” and “off-season” somewhere down the road. It appears as if he’s not even thrown yet. Too soon to worry about “maintaining” anything in my opinion .
[/quote]

Understood, but you also have to realize that he will be spending a couple of hours every day at track practice. If he is training hard at practice then he will have less energy for his weight training, which will probably take place after practice and not before.

He is also going to have limited time to lift because he’ll be at practice for 2-3 hours per day.

I say let him decide whether or not throwing is for him, but realize that going from 2-4 hours of lifting each week to 12-15 hours of track practice plus lifting is a huge increase in recovery demands.

A gallon a day, Derek?
Really?

Wow!

[quote]Pauli D wrote:
A gallon a day, Derek?
Really?

Wow![/quote]

I’m swilling down the last 16 oz. as I type this. (I bought another gallon when I was out and drank about 20 oz. from that too so now I’m over a gallon).

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!.

[quote]derek wrote:
Pauli D wrote:
A gallon a day, Derek?
Really?

Wow!

I’m swilling down the last 16 oz. as I type this. (I bought another gallon when I was out and drank about 20 oz. from that too so now I’m over a gallon).

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!.[/quote]

Or…Moooooooooooooooo!

ha!

:wink:

I love milk -dairy makes me feel full pretty quick though. I’m afraid if I tried a gallon a day I wouldn’t eat much else…but hey -I could always try it!