T Nation

Help With a Program for Skinny Friend

I have a skinny ass friend who asked me to help him build some muscle. He’s ~5’10" and 130 lbs. What’s a good program/supplement plan to put him on?

Right now I’m going to have him start Rippetoe Starting Strength and take Grow! PWO and MD as his last meal.

Any advice that might help him?

is the skinny friend yourself? cmon be honest

[quote]Zelazo wrote:
I have a skinny ass friend who asked me to help him build some muscle. He’s ~5’10" and 130 lbs. What’s a good program/supplement plan to put him on?

Right now I’m going to have him start Rippetoe Starting Strength and take Grow! PWO and MD as his last meal.

Any advice that might help him?[/quote]

Eat more?

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
is the skinny friend yourself? cmon be honest[/quote]

No…I’m on the other end of the spectrum and trying to lose weight. Which is why I’m not sure how to help him besides telling him to eat more.

Tell him to read this and start studying everything in there and just to start raping the search feature here at T-Nation. forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
Tell him to read this thoroughly. http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460331

His food should consist of steaks (preferably sirloin) whole eggs, cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, avocado, fruits (apples oranges), olive oil, coconut oil when frying, butter, natural cheeses, turkey, fish or chicken, non-instant rolled oats(morning), instant rolled outs (around Workout), starchy foods sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa (with bigger intake around workouts and small quantities at other times of day), Rye bread (avoid any bread with any sort of corn, or hydrogenerated syrups).

MRPs (meal replacement shakes)are acceptable as long as they are quality. Like Metabolic Drive Complete here at T-Nation or pm for some other brands that I back 100% for being “quality”. Should be casein+whey no maltodextrin, carbs coming from complex sources only. Or make your own, just get a good casein protein powder and add tbsp of natural peanutbutter and a apple or 2 wala badass meal replacement. I would take a casein shake or cottage cheese serving b4 bed atleast tallying up to around 400 calories.

Drink at the minimum a gallon a day. I can’t stress how important fish oil is. I have noticed a huge difference when not taking vs taking. My recovery is just pitiful when not mega dosing fish oil. I shoot for a TBSP a day spread through out the day. TSP here and there 3 times.

He should not worry about anything else at the moment. Just eat eat eat, workout, eat eat maybe eat again, sleep.

Depending on his goals after rippetoe’s he can go the bodybuilding route or more of an athletic direction with an upper/lower or full body routine. Hope I helped peace.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
Tell him to read this and start studying everything in there and just to start raping the search feature here at T-Nation. forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
Tell him to read this thoroughly. http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460331

His food should consist of steaks (preferably sirloin) whole eggs, cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, avocado, fruits (apples oranges), olive oil, coconut oil when frying, butter, natural cheeses, turkey, fish or chicken, non-instant rolled oats(morning), instant rolled outs (around Workout), starchy foods sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa (with bigger intake around workouts and small quantities at other times of day), Rye bread (avoid any bread with any sort of corn, or hydrogenerated syrups).

MRPs (meal replacement shakes)are acceptable as long as they are quality. Like Metabolic Drive Complete here at T-Nation or pm for some other brands that I back 100% for being “quality”. Should be casein+whey no maltodextrin, carbs coming from complex sources only. Or make your own, just get a good casein protein powder and add tbsp of natural peanutbutter and a apple or 2 wala badass meal replacement. I would take a casein shake or cottage cheese serving b4 bed atleast tallying up to around 400 calories.

Drink at the minimum a gallon a day. I can’t stress how important fish oil is. I have noticed a huge difference when not taking vs taking. My recovery is just pitiful when not mega dosing fish oil. I shoot for a TBSP a day spread through out the day. TSP here and there 3 times.

He should not worry about anything else at the moment. Just eat eat eat, workout, eat eat maybe eat again, sleep.

Depending on his goals after rippetoe’s he can go the bodybuilding route or more of an athletic direction with an upper/lower or full body routine. Hope I helped peace.[/quote]

Thanks for the great advice. He’s already eating it all up (pun intended). That’s all he needs for now.

Have him eat lots and lots of protein, every 2-3 hours and have him set his alarm to have him eat at night too. Have him work legs, back, core, and chest.

Work with him as a spotter.(I don’t have any friends interested in the iron game so this is practically impossible for me)

Don’t have him worry so much about arms in the beggining.

If you can’t spot him on a leg day have him do hardcore sprinting. (I used to look like a twig attached to 2 oaks just from sprinting before i switched to long distance)

Just have him cut back on cardio though two times a week at most

Have him eat a big protein filled meal after a workout(replenishes calories) also make sure that he has a carbohydrate to cuz i gets the protein to the muscles faster

Remember Eat big to get Big-but seperate it out

[quote]Wolfwarrior wrote:
Have him eat lots and lots of protein, every 2-3 hours and have him set his alarm to have him eat at night too. Have him work legs, back, core, and chest.

Work with him as a spotter.(I don’t have any friends interested in the iron game so this is practically impossible for me)

Don’t have him worry so much about arms in the beggining.

If you can’t spot him on a leg day have him do hardcore sprinting. (I used to look like a twig attached to 2 oaks just from sprinting before i switched to long distance)

Just have him cut back on cardio though two times a week at most

Have him eat a big protein filled meal after a workout(replenishes calories) also make sure that he has a carbohydrate to cuz i gets the protein to the muscles faster

Remember Eat big to get Big-but seperate it out [/quote]

If you can’t spot him, and the rack has no safeties, clean grip front squats are an excellent option you can always just dump the bar.