Help With A Full Body Workout

Hey guys. Been lifting a while here, and gone from 6’0" 150 at 25 years old, up to about 170 now at 33. I think my ultimate goal is around 185 or so. My biggest problem is developing thickness – things look good from the front, but I still disappear when I turn sideways.

I’m working on the diet, and have started a food log. And I’m gearing up to start a new workout. I’ve been doing split routines for a while now, so I’m thinking of going back to a full body, basic workout. I hope someone can take a look at this and let me know how it looks.

I like simple, straightforward workouts with minimal thinking while I’m at the gym. I’m looking at 3 days a week, 4 sets each, 4-6 reps:

front squat
deadlift
clean and press
pull ups
dumbbell bench press
barbell rows

light cardio, rotator cuff work, and abs on 2 or 3 of the off days, and maybe some direct arm work on one off day (just because it’s fun). one day off entirely each week.

I’ve had some injuries to my knees and shoulders, so that’s figuring into my exercise selection. And I have to be very careful to keep my rotator cuff healthy.

anyone have any thoughts?

thanks guys.

You could split those movements into two days, three times a week.
Day 1 : Front squats / C&P / BB rows
Day 2 : DL, DB bench, pull-ups
I would add a single leg movement on day 2, something like lunges, step-ups…

[quote]jdav1 wrote:
Hey guys. Been lifting a while here, and gone from 6’0" 150 at 25 years old, up to about 170 now at 33. I think my ultimate goal is around 185 or so. My biggest problem is developing thickness – things look good from the front, but I still disappear when I turn sideways.

[/quote]

First of all, you are NOT going to get a thick look if you stop gaining at 185. Why this number? Why not 200? I’m 200 at 5’11" and won’t be happy until I’m AT LEAST 10-15 lbs heavier. And I really don’t look super thick…

Basically, don’t worry about weight, just worry about getting BIGGER.

[quote]
I’m working on the diet, and have started a food log. And I’m gearing up to start a new workout. I’ve been doing split routines for a while now, so I’m thinking of going back to a full body, basic workout. I hope someone can take a look at this and let me know how it looks.

I like simple, straightforward workouts with minimal thinking while I’m at the gym. I’m looking at 3 days a week, 4 sets each, 4-6 reps:

front squat
deadlift
clean and press
pull ups
dumbbell bench press
barbell rows

light cardio, rotator cuff work, and abs on 2 or 3 of the off days, and maybe some direct arm work on one off day (just because it’s fun). one day off entirely each week.

I’ve had some injuries to my knees and shoulders, so that’s figuring into my exercise selection. And I have to be very careful to keep my rotator cuff healthy.

anyone have any thoughts?

thanks guys.[/quote]

I would really suggest more variety. There is no reason to do the same workout every time. I would suggest looking at some of Waterbury’s full-body templates and trying some of the techniques he utilizes. For example, each day you could go heavy on a particular lift, and then do other higher rep work.

And I would suggest trying different set/rep schemes such as:

10x3
5x5
4x6
2x12-14

Take a look at Waterbury’s recent article about program design, since he has examples of increasing volume, etc.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1286261

Good luck, and get big.

i have been doing this and it is enjoyable