Help - Why Am I So Tired?

Every year about this time I experience the same thing. It usually lasts about a month. I’ve actually missed workouts or had terrible workouts while feeling tired for no explainable reason.

A bunch of good advice has been given but consider this - allergies don’t just affect your sinus, they affect your whole body and really screw things up.

I’m a seasonal allergy sufferer and even when my face isn’t covered in snot and tears I still feel shitty and tired.

This year has been the best of about the last 6 years for me and the only difference is a new kick ass vacuum cleaner and ZMA.

Perhaps the ZMA is coincidence but when I ran out recently, the symptoms worsened. So it works for me and maybe for you.

I sympathize man, hope you get it figured out.

Holmdog

just get to more sleep on a regular basis , it’s really that simple.

when i’m lifting heavy i go from 7 to 9 hours a night. think about what that means…

• in 7 nights you’ll get 9 nights worth of sleep.

• in one month you’ll get just over 5 week’s worth of sleep.

putting all that effort into workouts without equal or more priority on rest and recovery is missing it man. the purpose of a work out is to give yourself the opportunity to recover. prioritize.

recovery is EVERYTHING.

Yes i agree I just got a ton of good advice… Keep it coming… Everyone chime in… I plan to take pieces of a lot of people’s advice including what seems to be emerging as a consensus and apply this to my daily routine…

Again I appreciate all the suggestions…

Getting to sleep earlier is easier said than done… Even though it seems pretty normal to me, apparently I work a lot and I don’t have set hours… I only go home when the work is done…
So I may be getting the maximum amount of sleep possible right now for myself… As it stands now, my roommates always tease me about how I all do is work/sleep.

Well, everyone has answered this pretty well, but i have a little short list of the only reasons i am ever tired usually.

Vitamin/Mineral Deficiency:
-I started taking animal packs multi vitamins (until Biotest has one…ahem), and it truly was like someone turned the lights on. I saw a major change in my energy and overall alertness.
These are even MORE critical during a cutting cycle.

Protein:
-When i’ve been busy at work, whatever, and haven’t met my requirements for protein. I get sluggish and tired.

Fat:
-Not getting enough good fats.
(Funny enough, lowering my carbohydrates has never made me tired or unfocused. Quite the opposite…it’s almost always protein and fats)

Water:
-i ALWAYS start feeling tired and sluggish if i am dehydrated and haven’t been hitting my water requirements.

Sinuses
-whoever mentioned “this time of year” hit the nail on the head. All the pollen and crap in the air right now, combined with wild variations in temperature and humidity (i’m in new york) DEFINITELY slow me down.

Sleep:
-duh. But truly, it seems like you are getting plenty of sleep, so i’d say 90% of your problem is nutrition

Red Meat:
I have a LOT more energy when i am taking in lean red meat at least twice a week.

[quote]brainfreez wrote:
adaptogenic herbs? Such bs.[/quote]

When you are a young pup your energy is raging regardless of your bad habits… so yeah, I’m sure it sounds like BS to you.

When you get older and you start to produce less juice, these things become a little more relevant, especially if you still have some bad habits.

You do realize the whole supplement industry is based on the concept of refining various herb and food products into purer forms, right?

I’ve gone through the same issues with a lack of energy without anything really changing in my routine or diet, and I’ve found overloading with Vitimin C is really helpfull. Normally I take about 6 grams a day but when feeling low on energy I’ve taken upwards of 20grams aday for a week then started to cut back towards the 6 grams a day. Seems to work for me.

[quote]brainfreez wrote:
“adaptogenic herbs”

adaptogenic herbs? Such bs.[/quote]

have you actually checked out any research on rhodiola? have you tried ginseng or astragalus? i’ve gone through intense stress on low calories and adding astragalus and rhodiola have made a big difference for me.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
I’ve gone through the same issues with a lack of energy without anything really changing in my routine or diet, and I’ve found overloading with Vitimin C is really helpfull. Normally I take about 6 grams a day but when feeling low on energy I’ve taken upwards of 20grams aday for a week then started to cut back towards the 6 grams a day. Seems to work for me.[/quote]

Vitamin C rocks. And red meat and starchy carbs sound like a good idea too.

I don’t think adding Spike is what your body needs right now. Surge maybe - but how 'bout real food first? And some supps that will boost immunity and overall health first and foremost.