T Nation

Help w/ Strength Training Template

15yrs old
5’7
120 pounds
Basketball player
Goals: Get strong (and along with it gain weight) leading to improved athletic qualities

Max squat: 215 x 4
Max bench: 145 x 3

To make a long story short, coach screwed up our weight training schedule and we’re lifting once per week (WEDNESDAY) @ 5:30 pm [basketball skillwork is at 10am] which is as follows:

-Power cleans 5x3
-Bench press: Work up to big set of 4
-Push press 4x5
-Leg curls: Sets of 4-8

I can’t change that workout. What I decided to do was borrow my friend’s gym membership card and lift on Saturdays and Mondays.(starting this Saturday) I have Sundays and Thursdays off, and basketball skillwork to do on Tuesdays, Wednesday mornings (10am) and Fridays. I need some help for those Sat/Mon workouts and currently I was thinking of the following:

*money set method = at least 1 set with more reps or more weight than last time, every time

Sat
-Squats 4-7 reps
-Military press 4-6 reps
-RDLs 5-8 reps (hopefully there’s a GHR machine which would be GREAT and I’ll swap this out)
-Neutral grip chinups 3x4-7 (with added weight)

Mon
-Squats 4-7 reps
-Chin-ups 3x4-7 (with added weight)
-RDLs 5-8 reps
-One-arm DB row: work up to 1 or 2 sets at 6-10 reps

Yeah they’re similar but I believe those are the movements I should work on to get strong in the right places. (might seem like I don’t have enough upperbody pushing but remember, Wednesday’s workout I’m benching AND push pressing) I should and would do something like Starting Strength if I could change Wednesday’s workout but we lift as a team and I don’t have a say in what I do.

How does that look, what should I tweak, etc. Thanks guys.

I would change;
Saturday
-Power clean & Push Press 8x3
-Front Squats 3x5
-Weighted Chins 3x5

Monday
-Squats 5x5
-RDL 3x5
-Barbell Row 3x5
-Weighted Dips 3x5

Hey thanks. I don’t like the front squats in there though because I’ve never done it and I don’t want to waste time learning a new movement and getting better at it because I only have a little less than 3 months to get as strong and big as possible before the season starts. Also, I’m not sure but it seems the PC&PP would get me tired before my squats which I honestly want to bring up about 50lbs. If I were to take out the PC&PP and replace it with some sort of leg assistance work for the P-chain and there’s no GHR machine, what would it be?

PC&PP works your whole body. That includes your legs. It very much works your posterior chain. It’s the “biggest bang for the buck” movement.

Posterior chain movements- Good Mornings, Stiff leg deadlifts, snatch grip deadlifts, etc…

Machines are for soccor moms.

Good Dan John article.

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:

Machines are for soccer moms.
[/quote]

Or people rehabing an injury.

Or people isolating a muscle

Or people looking to bring up a weak area

Or people not too elitist to actually use all the tools in the tool box and be better for it.

What about cables?

What about Plate loaded machines?

Assisted pull-up machines? Oh that’s right, women aren’t allowed to make progress.

The smith machine?

Beginner’s should focus on free wieghts, yes. But once someone matures into a reasonable adult, they will see an entire new world of progress out there.

Machines inhibit the development of stabilizer muscles. Machines are for soccer moms and wimps. Sorry, forgot the wimps.
I guess you can use them for rehab. I NEVER use machines for my clients. I ALWAYS find a way to utilize free weights.
I don’t believe in vanity training. It’s kind of gay to train to be vain.

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:
Machines inhibit the development of stabilizer muscles. Machines are for soccer moms and wimps. Sorry, forgot the wimps.
I guess you can use them for rehab. I NEVER use machines for my clients. I ALWAYS find a way to utilize free weights.
I don’t believe in vanity training. It’s kind of gay to train to be vain.[/quote]

You sound like a child yet again.

I feel bad for people that pay you. (Not that I believe a word you say at this point.) Your close minded approach really limits their progress.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:
Machines inhibit the development of stabilizer muscles. Machines are for soccer moms and wimps. Sorry, forgot the wimps.
I guess you can use them for rehab. I NEVER use machines for my clients. I ALWAYS find a way to utilize free weights.
I don’t believe in vanity training. It’s kind of gay to train to be vain.[/quote]

You sound like a child yet again.

I feel bad for people that pay you. (Not that I believe a word you say at this point.) Your close minded approach really limits their progress. [/quote]Right on Mr.Clueless! Machines lock you in a fixed postion. Therefore they inhibit the development of stabilizer muscles. It’s that simple. It’s not brain surgery.

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:
Machines lock you in a fixed postion. [/quote]

Okay? That isn’t a bad thing 100% of the time.

LOL. Because anyone said anything about exclusively using them? NO, in fact, those of use with an open mind understand that a machine is a useful tool that can be used by an individual to reach a goal.

Again, people, particularly beginners, should focus on free weights, but resistance is resistance, and a set bar path can be very advantageous in some instances.

Even though your maturity just shines with your attacks on people’s sexual preference, guess what, isolation isn’t used exclusively for aesthetic purposes. Imagine that. I would think that after 30 years you would understand this…

[quote] It’s that simple. It’s not brain surgery.
[/quote]

If your only argument against machines is a fixed fucking bar path and “stabilizer” muscles you need to stop telling people not to use them. The fact that you don’t even recognize their use in injury rehab is very telling of your “experience.”

Insulting women lifters, people’s sexual preference and putting down people with goals different than your own makes you come off as an immature troll.

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:
Machines inhibit the development of stabilizer muscles. Machines are for soccer moms and wimps. Sorry, forgot the wimps.
I guess you can use them for rehab. I NEVER use machines for my clients. I ALWAYS find a way to utilize free weights.
I don’t believe in vanity training. It’s kind of gay to train to be vain.[/quote]

You sound like a child yet again.

I feel bad for people that pay you. (Not that I believe a word you say at this point.) Your close minded approach really limits their progress. [/quote]Right on Mr.Clueless! Machines lock you in a fixed postion. Therefore they inhibit the development of stabilizer muscles. It’s that simple. It’s not brain surgery.
[/quote]

What if I have ridiculously strong stabilizer muscles? Can I use machines then?

But squats are working my stabilizer muscles, so are the power cleans and RDLs. Would GHRs not be a good idea to work the p-chain for my athletic goals which are almost synonymous with having brutally strong glutes?

Or should I simply stick with RDLs twice a week? (I’m power cleaning and push pressing on Wednesday) I was also considering simply squatting on one of the days with no other assistance.

[quote]TheMojo wrote:
But squats are working my stabilizer muscles, so are the power cleans and RDLs. Would GHRs not be a good idea to work the p-chain for my athletic goals which are almost synonymous with having brutally strong glutes? [/quote] ATG squats will give you strong glutes too. They are far more functional than GHR machines.

[quote]
Or should I simply stick with RDLs twice a week? (I’m power cleaning and push pressing on Wednesday) I was also considering simply squatting on one of the days with no other assistance.
[/quote]Practice free throws and tell me how many times you go through the same motion as a PC&PP? It develops explosiveness and contributes to your vertical leap. You’ll gain a lot more as an athlete from PC&PP.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:
Machines lock you in a fixed postion. [/quote]

Okay? That isn’t a bad thing 100% of the time.

LOL. Because anyone said anything about exclusively using them? NO, in fact, those of use with an open mind understand that a machine is a useful tool that can be used by an individual to reach a goal.

Again, people, particularly beginners, should focus on free weights, but resistance is resistance, and a set bar path can be very advantageous in some instances.

Even though your maturity just shines with your attacks on people’s sexual preference, guess what, isolation isn’t used exclusively for aesthetic purposes. Imagine that. I would think that after 30 years you would understand this…

[quote] It’s that simple. It’s not brain surgery.
[/quote]

If your only argument against machines is a fixed fucking bar path and “stabilizer” muscles you need to stop telling people not to use them. The fact that you don’t even recognize their use in injury rehab is very telling of your “experience.”

Insulting women lifters, people’s sexual preference and putting down people with goals different than your own makes you come off as an immature troll.[/quote]The OP is a 15 yr. old basketball player. Not a bodybuilder.

The “gay” comment was a joke. As was the “soccer mom” and “wimp” comment.
Get your panties out of a bunch.

No one NEEDS to use machines. Especially teen athletes playing contact sports.

[quote]TheMojo wrote:
But squats are working my stabilizer muscles, so are the power cleans and RDLs. Would GHRs not be a good idea to work the p-chain for my athletic goals which are almost synonymous with having brutally strong glutes?

Or should I simply stick with RDLs twice a week? (I’m power cleaning and push pressing on Wednesday) I was also considering simply squatting on one of the days with no other assistance.

[/quote]
Definitely do the GHR’s. Great for performance and injury prevention.

I would do:
Monday
RDL
GHR
Mil. Press/neutral grip chins - alternating sets w/60sec rest
Lateral raise/rear delt raise superset

Saturday
Squat
Lunges - small steps to emphasize quads
One-arm DB row
Chinups

On Wednesday, focus on benching and power cleans. Use the leg curls as recovery for your hams, so just get plenty of blood pumping. Push press is your call. However you’re feeling at that time.

I think Wlfdg is an idiot and so does Dave Tate:

So I got to check out the gym, no GHR machine in sight :frowning: I did a feel workout and the gym isnt that bad though the atmospheres pretty gay (jewish gym with tons of cardio machines, people socializing while lifting, etc) so I’ll try to find a time when there’s not many people. Plus the area around the squat rack is usually pretty quiet. (obviously, nobody squats) Here’s my plan: (basically replace the GHR on mondays with a barbell hip thrust!)

*Sets/reps are AFTER the warm-up (working sets) and I get either more reps or more weight every time I repeat a workout (or exercise)

Saturday
-Squats 2 x 4-7 reps
-Military press 2-3 x 4-7 reps
-RDLs 2-3 x 5-8 reps
-Chin-ups 3 x 4-7 (with added weight)

Monday
-Squats 2 x 4-7 reps
-Neutral grip chin-ups 3 x 4-7 (with added weight)
-Barbell hip thrusts 2-3 x 5-8 reps (apparently GREAT for athletes and glutes from “Dispelling the Glutes Myth” by Bret C)
-One-arm DB row 2-3 x 6-10 reps

Are the exercises spaced out well? (lower, upper, lower, upper)
Gonna go to Loblaws and fill up my fridge soon. (PBJ, bread, patties, waffles&syrup, nuts)
How does this look overall? I don’t feel the need to change much at this point, seems solid to me for my goals but I’m not very experienced so feedback would be great.

Bump, don’t know if this is allowed but this thread was at the bottom of the page.

Where did your explosive movements go?

Sorry forgot.

On Wednesdays
-Power cleans 5x3
-Bench press: Work up to big set of 4
-Push press 4x5
-Leg curls: Sets of 4-8

Can’t be altered though, we lift as a team with a coach. :frowning:

What position do you play? also it’s amazing to see a 15 y.o. who willing chooses squats and doesn’t do curls.