Help w/ my resume ...

Hey everyone. I’ve been training some of my friends and family now for a couple of years. I really enjoy it… well, if they want to learn and try things. I’m looking to get setup with a training position at a local health club. I’m not certified, but I was told if I was signed up for the test/seminar when it comes around this July (NCSA)… I’d be fine to start training now. I do have to turn in a resume, though. Now… I have a lot of training experience, but none of it is formal. How would you guys recommend I spice up the resume some? He told me not to worry too much about it, but I’d like to make it look good. Thanks guys.

Don’t try to embelish too much, but make sure you use “power” words that show initiative and drive. If you’ve trained yourself, that helps. If you’ve trained others (for example I was “training” my bike team), say so. I got a job at a Bally’s (not that it’s such a great accomplishment) by demonstrating knowledge and a forthright attitude. I just told them “I’ll put my knowledge against anybody on your staff.” Confidence is key, as they’re looking more for somebody who can sell contracts than somebody who REALLY knows what they’re talking about (sad commentary that it is, it’s true). A saying in that sort of biz is “You don’t have to be right, you just have to be sure.”

I relate it to how people put their “computer skills” on a resume. For example, knowledge of Excel, Word, Lotus, Windows XP, etc. Put things such as knowledge in periodization, basic nutrition, etc. Also program design in bodybuilding, powerlifting, athletic performance, Olympic lifting. Informal training of peers, family, and coworkers. Coached little league baseball, etc. Also if your regular job has computer skills, organization, marketing etc. Just put this under a heading of “skills.” Remember though, only put stuff you do a knowledge in and things you have done. Saying you can teach Olympic lifts and you never have probably shouldn’t be on there, especially if the boss looks at it. Hope this sparks some ideas.

Thanks guys! Coached little league baseball? Nice, BigC. I didn’t even think about that, and I actually did help coach my little cousins team for a couple years.

Another thing to think about is setting up your resume this way: Show ways in which your abilities actually solved an issue. Example: "Issue: My asthma was becoming a significant road block in my training. Solution: By using available resources, such as the internet and medical journals, I researched on causes and suggested remedies. As well as adjusted my mode of training. Result: I decreased my reliance on asthma medication/inhalers by 70% and was able to train for the Hood to Coast Relay. Ran three legs at a pace of eight minutes per mile - with no signs of asthma prevalent. As well as no need to use a inhaler during the course of the relay.

Well, this is a "rough" example. But it will show your ability to sort out issues and create a successful resolution that allows for success. My Personal Traininer resume was set up just like this - and I was able to negotiate a fee that was significantly higher than usual due to it. If you'd like to see it, I'd be happy to provide that. Also, check out www.monster.com for their "resume resource" area - it might be helpful

Patricia ;-)

Damn, I’m glad I asked for help on this forum. Good stuff, Patricia. I’ve never had to write a resume before… I really wasn’t sure how to work it. Hey… check your email. I got your addy from your portfolio website. Hope ya don’t mind.