T Nation

Help w/ Fitness Requirements for Navy

Hey everyone. I’m looking to join the Nz navy next year as a diver. I’ve set myself a year to get physically fit for selection. The minimum requirements are 9.5 on the beep test, 6 overhand pull ups, 30 sit ups an 30 push ups. With 2 min rest between each exercise.

But my aim is for the next level of operational diver to increase my chances of getting chosen. Which is 11.1 beep test, 10 pull ups, 40 sit ups an 40 press ups . I’m 20 years old, female, 167cm, 49kg, just quit smoking, haven’t exercised for 3 years so really unfit. Any help with getting on the right track would be much appreciated, because I know I have to ease into it and can’t go all out at once.

What is the beep test?

Other than the beep test, what are your current numbers? You need to know where you are to figure out how to get where you’re going.

Maybe google Stew Smith. He’s got plenty of simple (not easy) prep plans geared specifically for military PFT’s in all MOS’s beginning at all fitness levels. Most are based around calisthenics and running which makes sense as that’s what you will be tested on. He’s got a bunch of stuff on military.com.

All the best. Be safe.

dont drink and ride scooters… nz navy boys always go through the pacific and end up dead

Hey, the beep test is also know as the Multi-stage fitness test.
My current numbers are 16 sit ups, 11 push ups and 1 pull up. But I can do about 6 chin ups if that helps somehow. I’m yet to get a copy of the beep test, but judging from the fact that I get puffed running just over 100m, I can tell I really need some work.

Hey, the beep test is known as the Multi-stage fitness test.
My numbers are 16 sit ups, 11 push ups and 1 pull up. But I can do 6 chin ups if that’s any help somehow. In regards to the beep test, I haven’t had a chance to download it and test myself yet. But judging by the fact that I get puffed running and have to stop at just over a 100 meters, I clearly need alot of improvement to reach my goal target.

try and get a copy of Defranco’s built like a badass which is great for allround strength and conditoning template and is heavy on pullup work, or look up Pavels pullup routine

[quote]j627539 wrote:
Hey, the beep test is known as the Multi-stage fitness test.
My numbers are 16 sit ups, 11 push ups and 1 pull up. But I can do 6 chin ups if that’s any help somehow. In regards to the beep test, I haven’t had a chance to download it and test myself yet. But judging by the fact that I get puffed running and have to stop at just over a 100 meters, I clearly need alot of improvement to reach my goal target. [/quote]

Running is all about pacing. In the beginning you will need to probably need to run more slowly than feels natural if you want to keep it up for any length of time. If you’re good to go medically, I suggest you try the “couch to 5k” running progression. It’s available free on line (google it) is simple to follow and, as the name suggests, its suitable for beginners.

It’s based on time, not distance or heart rate or any other complicated measure that makes it hard to get going. You start by jogging 60 seconds then walking 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes or so. You could do this right now. Discipline yourself during the running intervals to run at a pace where you could just barely comfortably hold a conversation with someone, or better still find a training partner and actually have a conversation with them. This will keep you running aerobically (which is the point) and will prevent you from going all out and overdoing it.

Also, learn to run properly. I firmly believe that running is a skill and just because you can go out and do it doesn’t mean you will be doing it well. But learn while you are running. Start today and work on your form as you go.

Regarding pushups/pullups/situps: there are plenty of good progressions out there. A lot of people do well with “greasing the groove” for bodyweight exercises. This just means doing multiple small sets throughout each day consisting of about half your one-set max until you hit a goal number of total reps (i.e. 20 sets of 5 pushups throughout the day until would give you 100 total reps). “Recon Ron” (google it) is a pullup progression yo can do if you can do one full pull up (which you can). You may need to break up the sets a little to get the reps in, but you can do that.

The 60 DayPLP (push up/lunge/pullup) program on this site may be a really good fit too.

It begins with one push up, one pull up and one lunge with each leg and adds one of each every day for 60 days. You break them up into as many sets as you need to get it done. Again simple enough that you could start today and suited to the type of training you will likely be doing in the Navy.

As an aside, if there are swimming elements/requirements I strongly suggest you start swimming too.

Hope something there is of use. All the best.

I am a JTAC in the air force, i joined today and tried to make a thread but cant seem to ind it now that its submitted.

But to the point, I have several friends that went through and became PJs (pararescue) your fitness requirements dont seem to e what theirs are but you can be damn sure your water confidence needs to be just on par with them. Water training is hellacious. If i were you, i would watch some dive school “surviving the cut” episodes and try your hand at multiple 25m underwaters, single 50m underwaters, and mask and snorkel recovery. All of these things will be tantamount to your success