Help Tweaking My Workout?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
^He’s not just starting out. The man who wrote the very program you mentioned Jim W. recommends a 2:1 pull/push ratio. And pretty much every powerlifter I know does something similar.

Accessory work is not just added in for work capacity and GPP, it’s ACCESSORY work; therefore, it’s accessory to improving the big lifts. [/quote]

Gotcha, havent read that one before. IIRC, SS does not even use accessory work. I have always been of the mindset that if you could progress on the main lifts without it, then its not necessary except maybe for like prehab or something like that.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Jozin wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]nfg16 wrote:
Your exercise order and rep ranges are just wrong. If you want to build up your strength, which is definitely what you should do, you need to keep your rep ranges in the 3-5 range. Personally, I would do:

Squat Variation 4-6 x 3-5
Deadlift Variation 4-6 x 3-5
BB Bench 4-6 x 3-5
Lat pulls 4-6 x 3-5
Push Press 4-6 x 3-5
Calf raises 4-6 x 3-5
Ab Wheel 4-6 x 8-10

Try to lift the weight quickly (still under control) to develop explosiveness.

Also, eat more.

Good luck, man.[/quote]

This is a very ignorant post.
[/quote]

Could ya put in your two cents?
[/quote]

Sure. It sounds like nfg16 just read his/her first book or article on weight training and read along the way on some chart that to build strength you need to train in the 3-5 rep range…then decided to apply that to EVERY LIFT EVERY DAY. It doesn’t not work like that…not even close.

Typically, if you’re focused on strength you will choose either 1 lift, or 2 completely different lifts (like squat and bench) as your core lift and train it in the 1-5 rep range. THEN, you need to choose some accessory work with which you will train in higher rep ranges…say 6-12 is a good place to start, but it’s really a matter of preference. Moreover, any back exercises you’ll typically want to hit with much higher volume anyway. Most powerlifters I know will typically do 2 reps of pulling for every rep of pushing.

If you’re focused purely on strength, I think you’ll be hurting your progress by putting it all into one session and doing total body training. Upper/lower is a much more popular choice for a good reason. [/quote]

I went with the routine I stated in the OP just because I felt unsatisfied with my workout if I didn’t Deadlift or Squat every session. However you might have a point since I find myself taking much longer lift heavier.

An earlier post here said I should look at Westside for Skinny Bastards and the routine looks challenging and very solid. So I’m gonna give that one a try today.

[quote]Jozin wrote:
I went with the routine I stated in the OP just because I felt unsatisfied with my workout if I didn’t Deadlift or Squat every session. However you might have a point since I find myself taking much longer lift heavier.

An earlier post here said I should look at Westside for Skinny Bastards and the routine looks challenging and very solid. So I’m gonna give that one a try today.[/quote]

Please don’t just “give it a try.” The magic is not in the program, but the attitude and consistency behind the trainee following it. You picked a solid program. Bury your head in the sand and stick with it.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Jozin wrote:

An earlier post here said I should look at Westside for Skinny Bastards and the routine looks challenging and very solid. So I’m gonna give that one a try today.[/quote]

Please don’t just “give it a try.” The magic is not in the program, but the attitude and consistency behind the trainee following it. You picked a solid program. Bury your head in the sand and stick with it. [/quote]

Seriously, I wish I had someone give me that kind of advice when I first started. Thanks.

[quote]JohnMariette wrote:
Search Westside for Skinny Bastards or Joe DeFranco, thank me later.[/quote]

I forgot to thank you for your input. After reading through DeFranco’s site, I’ve decided to start Part I one of his routine today.

[quote]esskay wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
^He’s not just starting out. The man who wrote the very program you mentioned Jim W. recommends a 2:1 pull/push ratio. And pretty much every powerlifter I know does something similar.

Accessory work is not just added in for work capacity and GPP, it’s ACCESSORY work; therefore, it’s accessory to improving the big lifts. [/quote]

Gotcha, havent read that one before. IIRC, SS does not even use accessory work. I have always been of the mindset that if you could progress on the main lifts without it, then its not necessary except maybe for like prehab or something like that. [/quote]

Therein lies the difference between progress, and optimal progress. Most will progress much faster when there is accessory work included geared towards improving the big lifts. That has most certainly been the case with me throughout my lifting career. Every chain has its weak links, and sometimes these can only be fully addressed in your choice of accessory work.

[quote]Jozin wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Jozin wrote:

Please don’t just “give it a try.” The magic is not in the program, but the attitude and consistency behind the trainee following it. You picked a solid program. Bury your head in the sand and stick with it. [/quote]

Seriously, I wish I had someone give me that kind of advice when I first started. Thanks.[/quote]

Take a serious look at your diet. Over the next few days get a rough estimate of how many grams of protein/carbs/fat you are taking in each day. Then start a thread over in the nutrition forum stating your height, weight, approximate BF, and your goals. You will only get as much out of your training as your diet allows.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Jozin wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Jozin wrote:

Seriously, I wish I had someone give me that kind of advice when I first started. Thanks.[/quote]

Take a serious look at your diet. Over the next few days get a rough estimate of how many grams of protein/carbs/fat you are taking in each day. Then start a thread over in the nutrition forum stating your height, weight, approximate BF, and your goals. You will only get as much out of your training as your diet allows. [/quote]

Once you get some of your custom foods put in there, it works really well.

[quote]nfg16 wrote:
Your exercise order and rep ranges are just wrong. If you want to build up your strength, which is definitely what you should do, you need to keep your rep ranges in the 3-5 range. Personally, I would do:

BB Bench 4-6 x 3-5
Lat pulls 4-6 x 3-5
Push Press 4-6 x 3-5
Calf raises 4-6 x 3-5
Ab Wheel 4-6 x 8-10

Also, eat more.

Good luck, man.[/quote]

if I don’t crumple into a heap by the time I get to bench press, I’m gonna be very disappointed in this program

[quote]nfg16 wrote:

BB Bench 4-6 x 3-5
Lat pulls 4-6 x 3-5
Push Press 4-6 x 3-5
Calf raises 4-6 x 3-5
Ab Wheel 4-6 x 8-10

Also, eat more.

Good luck, man.[/quote]

Calf Raises 4-6 x 3-5? lol what? And you definitely dont need all this in a single day. Follow something like Starting Strength/Practical Programming, a Pavel 3-5 routine, Madcow, or something like 5/3/1 and you will get plenty strong.

For some reason that post about the 3-5 rep routine looks exactly like HST except lacking any kind of programming whatsoever. And HST is not for athletes, go for 5/3/1 or Starting Strength. With either one of them make sure you BUY THE BOOK. And for Starting Strength you HAVE to eat more. It is a program built around gaining weight for it to work optimally.

And cheerios fruit and yogurt with a protein bar for breakfast isn’t exactly having your diet on check. Deffinetely use a food calculator or just learn how to eat better and more in every meal whichever is easier for you.

WESTSIDE FOR SKINNY BASTARDS Part I is awesome and totally kicking my ass right now. Now to fix my diet.

[quote]PlainPat wrote:
For some reason that post about the 3-5 rep routine looks exactly like HST except lacking any kind of programming whatsoever. And HST is not for athletes, go for 5/3/1 or Starting Strength. With either one of them make sure you BUY THE BOOK. And for Starting Strength you HAVE to eat more. It is a program built around gaining weight for it to work optimally.

And cheerios fruit and yogurt with a protein bar for breakfast isn’t exactly having your diet on check. Deffinetely use a food calculator or just learn how to eat better and more in every meal whichever is easier for you.[/quote]

And how exactly is Starting Strength for athletes? It makes you better at squatting, benching…and…that’s it. Not really geared towards athletic performance at all.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]PlainPat wrote:

And cheerios fruit and yogurt with a protein bar for breakfast isn’t exactly having your diet on check. Deffinetely use a food calculator or just learn how to eat better and more in every meal whichever is easier for you.[/quote]

And how exactly is Starting Strength for athletes? It makes you better at squatting, benching…and…that’s it. Not really geared towards athletic performance at all. [/quote]

Athletes of many sports use the Bench Press, Squat, and Deadlift in their training. I dont see how being stronger in these lifts would not benefit such an athlete.