T Nation

Help! Tore Hamstring?

On my last rep of my last set of single legged hamstring curls my hamstring made a very loud pop/snap, sharp pain, and weight stack went crashing. I immediatley knew I tore something. It’s been kind of stiff and painful all day and there might be some swelling, can’t really tell.

No black and blue though. Anyway how do you differentiate between a muscle tear, as opposed to a pull or a tendon tear. Does it even make a difference when it comes to recovery and the healing process? Any pointers or advice someone can give me? I have a feeling I have a long road of rehab and recovery in front of me.

How does this heal, on it’s own? Anything I can take in the form of supps to assist in recovery? By the way did this to my tricep years ago and still has never been the same. Took at least a year or more to even feel normal.

If you think you might have torn something go to the doctor. It might need surgery or might heal alot faster if you have surgery. I know noone wants to hear this but it might be the case. Better safe than sorry.

I injured a glute muscle or tendon a few months ago and it still bothers me. I really think I tore something and wish now that I would have when to the doctor when it happened.

Don’t me to scare you and I really hope it is not serious. Hopefully it’s not bad, you heal quick and get back in the gym soon!

Tears come in different grades. It takes a few days for the blood from the tear to work its way to the surface.

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=94e729bf-2a24-406f-8083-f1484720ce65&chunkiid=11820

[quote]as wrote:
On my last rep of my last set of single legged hamstring curls my hamstring made a very loud pop/snap, sharp pain, and weight stack went crashing. I immediatley knew I tore something. It’s been kind of stiff and painful all day and there might be some swelling, can’t really tell.

No black and blue though. Anyway how do you differentiate between a muscle tear, as opposed to a pull or a tendon tear. Does it even make a difference when it comes to recovery and the healing process? Any pointers or advice someone can give me? I have a feeling I have a long road of rehab and recovery in front of me.

How does this heal, on it’s own? Anything I can take in the form of supps to assist in recovery? By the way did this to my tricep years ago and still has never been the same. Took at least a year or more to even feel normal.[/quote]

In '92 i tore my bicep femoris (long head of the hamstring) completely off of the bone. The doctors thought it was a severe pull or a small tear and after a couple of months of rehab, realized the muscle wasn’t responding and tore from the bone.

So, I am left with only the small head. This has affected my training (no more MMA competitively), career, and my future health as eventually the stressors this puts on my knee will cuse me to get a replacement pre-maturely.

In a nutshell- see a surgeon and get an MRI immediately! Remember that the doctors work for you. If one does not do what you request (unless they have an obvious reason, it’s illegal, immoral, etc.) see another one.

You can virtually set your watch by posts of this kind.

Please tell me that after your hamstring made a “loud ripping” noise, you sought medical attention from someone other than strangers on the internet, of whom at least 50% are total fucking retards?

[quote]harris447 wrote:
You can virtually set your watch by posts of this kind.

Please tell me that after your hamstring made a “loud ripping” noise, you sought medical attention from someone other than strangers on the internet, of whom at least 50% are total fucking retards?[/quote]

Lol, but maybe the other 50% might give me some decent advice. I did it friday night, so making an appointment to see a sports Dr. in my area who does pro athletes. Poeple I know who had this type of injury were told by their docs to leave it alone it heals on it’s own eventually through scar tissue. They said if you don’t get it operated on within 48 hours it’s too late and too difficult to re-attach. It just attaches where ever its at with scar tissue. Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I’m f*cked for a while.

[quote]as wrote:
Poeple I know who had this type of injury were told by their docs to leave it alone it heals on it’s own eventually through scar tissue. [/quote]

Whether you just wait and leave it alone depends on the severity (grade) of the strain. In the meantime, it’s hard to go wrong with R.I.C.E.

Rest the affect area.

Ice the injury.

Compress the injury (Apply a bandage or other compressive device)

Elevate the injury

So what happened?