T Nation

Help To Put On Weight...

NOT ME DICKHEADS…!

This is a thread that is going to help all those who are posting “i cant grow… sniffle… bitch… whine…” threads.

What you do not understand, and it is due to the nature of human beings, but you are not special like your mummy told ya. Most of us have been there, i spent YEARS gaining to finally put some weight on a) when i got older and my metabolism shifted naturlly and b) when i finally learned what “eating more or enough” actually entailed.

I get just as tired as you when people write “EAT” as a reply, but we have told hundreds of kids the same, and it gets extremely tiresome!

The fact is, if you are eating so much you cannot barely eat another thing, and you are not putting on weight, you either have to find a way to stimulate growth in your muscles with less total work - which will burn less of the calories you ate (HIT or DC style - DC isnt recommended for beginners mind you!) or/and you have to find a way to eat more.

Some tips i will post on both of those areas and those who have battled this problem - and won, can add to it also:

1. Eat the majority of calories in food. THEN add shakes when you are so stuffed you couldnt eat another morsel. Say after the 3 meals you just ate (a meal can be a large sandwich).

2. A good starting point is to take your goal weight (if you weigh 150, a goal weight would be 170 maybe, NOT 240lbs) and multiply it by a factor of 20x. This is the amount of calories you should strive to eat a day.

3. To add calories to shakes, some say add Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) or Flax Oil and that is fine, just make sure it is only protein and fat, no carbs - if you ingest carbs and fat, the insulin released from the carbs will only store the fat on your belly and tits, we dont want that.

4. If you dont add fat to your shakes, add a carbohydrae source, some powdered Oats are great, or matlodextrin, shit - even honey or something.

5. When gaining do not be afraid of sugars, they are your friend. But always avoid sugars found in pastries and donuts etc… they are full of fat too - remember, we dont mix fat and carbs if possible.

6. Recuce cardio to minimal or nothing, if you arent putting on weight, you are not likely to be gaining fat unless you eat tons of sugar and fat are you?

Continue…

You know that old story about the professor that adds rocks to a jar and asks the class if the jar is full?

Then he adds smaller rocks. Then sand. Then water.

…Well same thing with food. After you’re full from eating a solid meal, there’s always room for whole milk.

(Yes I realize that solid food ends up all liquidy anyway once you chew it, add saliva, etc. But just go with me here and drink some milk)

absolutely, i am willing to bet that 100% of the half decent physiques here began by consuming large quantities of milk.

I definitely did.

I would also suggest the use of the food log. Especially in the beginning stages. Many people grossly overestimate the amount of calories they are taking in. By keeping a log you are able to see exactly what you are taking in and can make adjustments accordingly.

Good stuff, though I personally never needed a food log. As long as I stuff myself every 2-3 hours and never allow myself to get hungry I gain mass at a pretty good rate.

A few years ago Ian King wrote a good article about gaining mass. It includes some good ideas to reduce the amount of calories you burn. He even tells you how to have sex.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459537

The problem with this thread is that people trying to gain weight won’t read it. There are a million threads on gaining weight that a newb could turn to but every one of them has to start their own.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
The problem with this thread is that people trying to gain weight won’t read it. There are a million threads on gaining weight that a newb could turn to but every one of them has to start their own. [/quote]

That’s because it’s MAGIC!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
The problem with this thread is that people trying to gain weight won’t read it. There are a million threads on gaining weight that a newb could turn to but every one of them has to start their own.

That’s because it’s MAGIC![/quote]

In light of this new evidence I’m quitting training and going on a vegan diet.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
In light of this new evidence I’m quitting training and going on a vegan diet.[/quote]

My son, there’s room for all of God’s creatures! (right next to the mashed potatoes!)

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
You know that old story about the professor that adds rocks to a jar and asks the class if the jar is full?

Then he adds smaller rocks. Then sand. Then water.

…Well same thing with food. After you’re full from eating a solid meal, there’s always room for whole milk.

(Yes I realize that solid food ends up all liquidy anyway once you chew it, add saliva, etc. But just go with me here and drink some milk)[/quote]

Food Processor