help-starting again

Ok, need some help.

I am 28, 6’2" 250lbs. I have always been a power lifter. I was then part of Purdue University’s Body Building club. I was in a car accident, hurt my back and to make a long story short stopped lifting for a long time. I started working out again about 2 years ago, just getting the 300lbs i was at down to 240 or so. I have now been working out for about 6 months 4-5 times a week. And I cant seem to get an answer from the rest of the Gym rats. What stacks/supps should I start on to reduce weight and get back in to the Body building. Someone told me this was the best most direct site to ask.

Thanks for any help-

Josh AKA - MadMonk

hey madmonk.

You need to give us more info on yourself first or your gonna get flamed…Diet needs to be on track before you use anything. You need to give us more info before your gonna get a serious answer. It just comes acroos as being very newbie asking what piill to take to lose weight.

Pugs

Hi, Josh, welcome aboard.

I agree with Pugs that your diet is a lot more important and is more likely to give you the results you’re looking for than any particular “stack.” Supps and stacks are considered to be a quick fix/shortcut, while getting your diet right and keeping a food log usually means you’re really serious about this body composition thing.

Since you’re new to T-Mag, I’d recommend that you keep on reading here on the Training & Nutrition forum, as well as the article archives. To focus on your area of interest, do a search of the article archives for Berardi, nutrition or diet. I get my best search results when typing in one word.

Good luck, and congrats on your success thus far!!!

sry bout that. didnt mean to sound that newbish. however, i am a newb when it comes to all these supps. I don’t want a magic pill to lose weight. Ok…Here i am:
6ft2in 253lbs(today)
BF% 16
Workout-
1/2 hr 5 days a week
1 1/2 to 2 hrs workout M Tues Thurs Sat
Mon-
Chest-Tri-Bi
Tues-
Back(Lats)-Shoulders-Traps
Thursday-
Legs n gluts
Sat-
Full body
Mon&Fri 2 hours Kempo Karate (last 2 years. at least 1 hr sparring)
I alternate calves and abs. I work one or the other every work out day.

I am kinda old school, Creatine. Loading 1 week a month. Juse started using HydroxyCut. Time released Aminos, thats about it for the pills. Tried Andro Stack, didn’t want to stay on it without asking some people that sounded like they know what they’re talking about. All the protein I can get without sucking down too many Carbs. Cut bread out of my diet about 2 months ago. 6 meals a day now for about 3 months.
Example Days Diet-
7am-
Oatmeal w/ wheatgerm 2 egg whites
10am-
protein shake/bar
1pm-
2 chicken breast sm salad
4pm
protein shake/bar
7pm
8oz flank stk/baked potato/sm salad

all throughout the day drinking a gallon of water. about 1/2 gallon skim milk.
Thanks for any help…

-Josh(aka MadMonk)

Okay, Josh. It looks like you’re doing some good things there. I see a few “opportunities,” but we’re talking about subtle changes at best.

First off, you don’t have that far to go. Losing 20 pounds of fat would put you at 8% BF.

First off, you need to start getting a little more precise with things like your protein. You can actually get too much, or at least more than your body needs. And what does the body do with more of anything than it needs?

Based on your LBM, you should be taking in 320g of protein per day, and I would REALLY like to see that number divided into eight meals. You could take in more than 40g in a meal, but the body won’t be able to use large amounts for building and repair and maintenance of muscle. Eight meals, Josh.

Forget the time-released aminos. You’re wasting your money. If you eat 40g of protein every 2 hours, you’ll be getting all the “aminos” you need. And as far as the Andro stack goes, I’m sorry, but I don’t know anything about it.

Cutting out bread was a GREAT move. Now I’m going to ask you to cut out the half gallon of skim milk. Milk has a type of sugar that preferentially refills liver glycogen. If the liver is “topped off,” those sugars are converted to triglycerides and stored as fat. Plain and simple, ditch the milk.

Re diet, Josh, I don’t see that you’re getting any veggies. I’d like to see you drop some of the protein bars and add in some green veggie type carbs. Doing so will leave you full and satisfied (and keep from feeling like you’re on a diet). They’ll also go a long ways to improving/maintaining your health. Remember, they’re full of vitamins, mineral, phytonutrients. The benefits go on and on. Not only that, the fiber you get will be a big health plus.

If you’re really motivated, I would recommend that you do some cardio, 4 sessions, no more than 30 minutes per session. HIIT is better, and I particularly like (because I feel it’s effective) fasted-state (before breakfast) cardio. But anything you do is going to be better than nothing.

My last recommendation is that you shake up your workout program. For one thing, you’re spending too much time in the gym. When you’re trying to cut you would benefit more from a strength program, rather than a hypertrophy program. Here’s the logic. You’re hypocaloric (below maintenance calories), you’re tearing down/breaking down your muscles, you’re not providing your body all of what it needs to make those repairs. Repairing muscle is very calorically expensive. Doing what you’re doing can cause you to plateau re weight loss.

So 1) Take a look at Joel Marion’s Ripped, Rugged & Dense, a 5x5 strength program and 2) Limit yourself to no more than 4 days a week, one hour per workout. Doing so will actually allow your body to make the repairs it needs to, recover, and proceed with the business at hand; i.e., fat loss!

Okay, Josh, those are my “quick” thoughts. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.