T Nation

Help Reading Results, 27 Year Old

Hi, I’m a 27 year old who has all the classic symptoms of low T.
I just did blood work and my doctor refused to consider any treatment because extragonous testosterone is carcinogenic… They are written differently than in the US, so I hope someone can make sense of them and tell me if they are low. All help is very much appreciated!

Result           Reference value

S-T4 Free 16 10-22
S-TSH 3.0 0,3-4,5
S-Estradiol 0.11 < 0,20
S-Prolactin 145 <450
S-SHBG 37 10-70
S-Testosterone 14 8-35
S-Free Testosterone index: 3,6 (3,0-14,7)

TSH is high. Read the thyroid sticky.

Your free T is on the low side. You need to get LH/FSH tested to determine if you are primary (testicles aren’t working) or secondary (pitiutary isn’t telling your testicles to work) hypogonadism.

Is that estradiol number right at .11?

The estradiol is .11 yes. I live in Norway, so I’m not sure if it’s measured differently.

Thanks a lot for your input so far!

Then your estradiol is extremely low. Higher T should result in higher E2 (estradiol) if you go on TRT. With E2 levels like that you will compound your symptoms as low E causes many similar symptoms as low T.

Ok, first thing is that most of Europe uses “,” in place of “.” in numbers and vice versa.

The line in particular is:
S-Estradiol 0.11 < 0,20
which I translate to American as:
S-Estradiol 0.11 (range < 0.20)

So, your estradiol number is less than one, right? Could you give us the scale? Should by something like ng/ml…

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc
  • thyroid basics

fT4 is mid range and good, TSH is way to high.
TSH should be closer to 1.0
T3, T4, fT3, fT4 should be nearer to mid range.

Please check oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. This is very important.

If you are not using iodized salt, you are iodine deficient and these problems are expected.

“”“
In Norway the main sources of dietary iodine are milk and dairy products, as well as fish and fish products, which contribute about 80% of the iodine intake. In other European countries iodinated salt, meat, bread and milk products contribute a major part of the iodine intake. In the Norwegian study the contribution of iodine from supplements or from iodized salt was not included in the calculations, since only some brands of table salt in Norway are fortified with iodine. The study by Dahl et al. combines an estimation of iodine intake in the diet with urinary iodine concentrations and serum levels of TSH and free thyroid hormone. Some population groups have a very low intake of iodine, which is an important finding. The material is, however, relatively small and the methodology is debatable. Nationwide studies in all countries are needed, and in Norway such a study is in progress. The authors conclude that iodization of table salt in Norway is too low to secure sufficient iodine intake for all people.
”""

plus https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3635203/

Population dependence on diary is stupid. And iodine levels in dairy have dropped as dairy farmers are using less iodine teat wash and iodine salt blocks.

This is a distaster: “In Norway, few brands of table salt are iodized (maximum 5 μg/g NaCl), and the use of this salt is limited to private households and not allowed in the food industry [27].”

Wow. I’m lactose intolerant and have been using little amount of salt for years and it has been rock sea salt.
Thanks for this info! I will get more complete bloodwork in a few weeks at a private clinic.

Please check oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. This is very important.

Tell others about iodine needs. Lack of iodine affects brain function in children and during pregnancy.

Do you feel cold easily?
Outer eyebrows sparse?

Your government is the problem, worst I am aware of. Iodized salt was introduced nearly 100 years ago to solve severe problems. Implementation there is flawed.

In countries that stress iodine in dairy foods, lactose intolerant people are left out, and in countries where bread is iodized, people with gluten intolerance are left out.

Doctors tell people with high blood pressure to stop using salt and induce iodine deficiencies weakening the metabolisms of people who already have major problems.