T Nation

Help Putting Everything Together

I’m gonna be a slight pain in the ass and ask a whole bunch of questions. I’m 23, 182cm tall and i weigh 65kg at my heaviest (yes, i’m a concentration camp victim, but have no genetic relations with giraffes whatsoever…well, actually i don’t look that skinny because of my natural small frame, skeleton wise).

I’ve read somewhere that the optimal weight for an athlete’s relative strength is 65kg. I’m a skinny guy (but not the veiny shredded type) on a warrior’s diet (don’t laugh or get mad), though skinny i easily accumulate fat on the stomach but not on other parts of my body (except a bit on lower back and on upper triceps/rear deltoid area).

i have delicate bone structure and untypically small hands, but great bone density and sink a lot when swimming. I’m not interested in hypertrophy, just relative strength and athleticism (big fan of beast skills and the new sport of tricking). Soon i plan to take up taekwondo and Olympic weightlifting lessons, and maybe even rock climbing lessons.

Oh, and i don’t mind the way i look (at least not that much) just as long as i am functional…through trial and error and lots of reading I’ve come to embrace a bunch of exercises as my tools for building a functional body. One of my problems is too much information, too little knowledge. I’ve read everything pavel and ori wrote on exercise and diet and a bunch of articles on T-Nation and some other stuff too.

Big fan of coach sommer. The exercises i’ve embraced are: push press with kettlebells(also the one legged one arm variation, rotator work with dumbells, wushu jump (a plyometric exercise), sprinting, pistols, one legged deadlifts, bent press with ketllebells, pavel’s joint drills, mobility work for legs (various raises and kicks) and torso, shoulder dislocate with rope, vacuum, hindu squat, hindu push-up(sometimes on fingertips), back bend than stand up, sissy squat (one legged and weighted), swimming, one arm push ups, ab roll, handstand push up, planche , front lever, ketllebell snatches (also the one legged one arm variation), various pull ups, pnf stretches, various holds and presses on fingertips…and an exercise for strengthening the back in a rounded position…mind you i’m not yet proficient in all of these.

Generally, i love maximum strength moves, isometrics and explosive moves (especially for legs).Somewhere on T-Nation i’ve read something about not trying to make your own program by taking what you think is best from everyone. Well, i need a more organized way of training, a split, a plan, something stable and firm, because to this day i’ve been following my instinct mostly.

Equipment wise i only have my bodyweight, a small dumbbell(just one, up to 20kg) and two improvised 12kg ketllebells, and i could probably make my own sandbags that could be easily calibrated (i think about 50kg would be their limit)…oh, i have a chin-up bar, too. I could join a swimming club, but the the amounts of chlorine scare the shit out of me (i’m very concerned about my health, i try to eat real foods, preferably organic. I can’t afford supplements).

What is my optimal weight for relative strength and athleticism considering some of the things i do are also of acrobatic nature? what diet should i follow? I have a lowered right shoulder, i think it’s a collar bone problem (maybe a genetic deviation), but only benching gave me problems and pain and sometimes my right shoulder would feel overstretched from doing any kind of hanging leg lifts(obvious reasons .

should i use an upper/ lower body split? What exercises should i gtg? What about gvt? Or maybe westside’s exclusively fast and explosive training? Should i use the ‘‘two sessions per day’’ approach some athletes use?Or some kind of low volume training? Should i implement strongman training?

Can one really increase growth hormone or testosterone levels by doing legs at evening time (sounds weird but read somewhere that arnold did that)? As a kid i wasn’t involved in sports (i know this is a very late start), can i improve my reaction time, reflexes and motor abilities and skills at this age? With all this ambition and various interests i usually overtrain, how do avoid that (i’m naturally a higher cortisol type).

I have some experience with weightlifting and at the time when i was concerned with mass and bodybuilding i was 82kg, but now i feel an look better than back then. Also had some experience with yoga and was a vegetarian for a year (that sucked, because even as a kid i liked to touch and steal raw meat from the fridge and eat it, didn’t care for sweets just meat;) )

i even have experience in water fasting for several days while being extremely active (it was the hardest thing i ever did, i guess). I tried a lot stuff,really…and am not afraid of trying new stuff, which might be a problem, because i lack consistency.

Did tantra for a while, talk about discipline…studied computer engineering, but quit…than studied philosophy and english (grammar and literature), and again i quit. The things i want to do in life are of physical nature not philosophical (actually they are, but don’ t have anything to do with aristotle and formal philosophy).

I believe it’s never too late to achieve greatness, be it as a coach, martial artists, weightlifter, trickster or just a crazy guy doing crazy feats.

and please don’t tell me to read more stuff on this site for answers, because i’ve read too much information already(at least for a little while, 'cause you learn all your life), and have trouble dealing with it:/

i’ll attach some of my pics that are about 4 months old (don’t have any new ones at the moment)

more pics (4 months old pic;))

[quote]berislav wrote:
The things i want to do in life are of physical nature not philosophical (actually they are, but don’t have anything to do with aristotle and formal philosophy).
[/quote]

What the hell do you mean by this? Do you think that modern philosophy is “formal” in the same way Aristotle’s was?

look, here in croatia aristotle is philosophy…latin is the language…and the catholic church is the moral

i’don’t like it, but it’s the way it is around here…

i don’t need a rant on philosophy here, just some good training advice

I’m sure you’ve read that you shouldn’t try to catch 3 rabbits at the sametime. That metaphor is used all the time on T-Nation. We like to keep it real simple here and I, for one, refuse to answer all your questions, as I think you need to take stock here and slow down a bit. Let’s prioritize…

If there was ONE thing you needed to get out of weight training at the minute what would it be???

[quote]berislav wrote:
more pics (4 months old)[/quote]

Thats what you looked like at 4 months old?

You got alot of stuff in there man, taekondo, swimming, rock climbing and your gonna be doing an upper / lower split…Well I wouldn’t worry too much about it man, go to the beginners thread in the forum and read that stuff. No ones gonna come in and answer all your personal questions (at least not the easy ones) unless your paying them too. It looks like just about anything your concerned about will be in the stickies on the beginner forum.

You seem like ya worry too much, about the chlorine in the pool for example. Its good to worry about your health man but I would try to take it easy and relax a little more…you might actually live longer (stress is bad for you).

that’s one simple question, but really hard to answer :frowning:
i want the gymnastic all-roundedness…but that’s not ONE thing.
total control of body…not ONE thing, really.

maybe…really high relative strength and explosivness

AAAARRRGGHHH!! everything seems too general!!

help

thanks to everyone for trying to help.
i tend to be of a somewhat abnormally worrisome nature.

keep posting =)

Look Berislav. I think SS847859 is right here. Go check the stickies on the beginner forum. Find out what you really need most out of this. Specificity is the key here. You might want to check this for an explanation relative to you (I think)

http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/A_General_Guide_to_Training_for_Climbing#Specificity

I could help you with traditional size and strength training but I’m not convinced you know what you want just yet. I pretty sure you’ll be doing a routine with the 3 big compounds soon enough ;o) . You can’t call yourself a T-man without doing them.

Hope this helps

[quote]berislav wrote:
I’m not interested in hypertrophy, just relative strength and athleticism
[/quote]
well it seems to me that bodybuilding is not something you care about. that’s fine, but then i would suggest going to the strength sports forums instead.

[quote]
Oh, and i don’t mind the way i look (at least not that much) just as long as i am functional.[/quote]

then you’re in the wrong forum

[quote]
What is my optimal weight for relative strength and athleticism considering some of the things i do are also of acrobatic nature?[/quote]

optimal weight means nothing, especially for acrobatics. if you’re able to move around with no problem, then your fine.

not the warrior diet, thats for sure. learn to eat more damn often. Berardi’s 7 habits of highly effective eating lays things out nicely.

benching really isnt that important for acrobatics, now is it? learn to do pushing based exercises that allow your scapula to move freely (suspended pushups, dips etc)

any one that allows you to progress in strength will do (which is any program). honestly, if your activity levels are through the roof outside the gym, weightlifting should be infrequent, but heavy (since its strength you’re after) and very brief. since you’re currently on the warrior’s diet, your body has no nutrients throughout the day. it has a hard enough time to sustain you with your activities, so weightlifting will be another burden. until you get your diet in check, dont be going to the gym much. but for when you do, an upper’lower split or TBT would be fine (just pick a select few exercises that you want to get stronger at, …and do them, …often).

no

not unless you plan on making a living out of it (and even then, you have to eat enough)

for you…ya

again, would this help you for acrobatics? think about it for a second.

not only is this focusing on the minutia, but it wouldnt matter since you’re not a bodybuilder, now would it?

you always can. it just takes time.

[quote]
With all this ambition and various interests i usually overtrain, how do avoid that (i’m naturally a higher cortisol type).[/quote]

cut back on certain activities (especially ones that really wont help you with your overall goal). this is where you have to pick a goal (one and ONLY one) and go at it. it seems that you want alot out of training. but as CT has been saying alot you’re a typical “jack of all trades, master of none”

if you go after several goals at once, you acheive very little in any of them. focus your efforts on one, and become good at it, then move on.

dont know why the whole thing is grey, buy hopefully you can decipher whats mine and whats yours berislav.

[quote]forbes wrote:
dont know why the whole thing is grey, buy hopefully you can decipher whats mine and whats yours berislav.[/quote]

Looks alright in my browser Forbes. Should I call you Sir Forbes for having the patience to answer all of that with quotes. I got tired just reading it

Berislav - Forbes has made some good points here now just think “Baby steps”.

[quote]Intersweat wrote:
forbes wrote:
dont know why the whole thing is grey, buy hopefully you can decipher whats mine and whats yours berislav.

Looks alright in my browser Forbes. Should I call you Sir Forbes for having the patience to answer all of that with quotes. I got tired just reading it

Berislav - Forbes has made some good points here now just think “Baby steps”.
[/quote]

at first, the whole thing was grey. i was like WTF!!??

and BTW, it took a good half hour (couple that with making a few mistakes, such as pressing the back button and having to re-do it, and being a two-finger typer).

forbes, thank you, thank you, thank you so very much!! and you too intersweat! you’re advice means a lot. i’m gratful for your patience (especially forbes, cause it took you half an hour to help me and that’s as much as anyone could ask for). thanks for the link intersweat!! i’ll check it out right away!

it’s 4:00am here and i can’t sleep…have to read it(had to thank you, guys) and then maybe i’ll get some sleep. waiting for responses kept me nervous all night, but i’ve had my share of insomnia…so nothing new here

i just remembered…

TRICKING!!

that’s why i wanted to get explosive(olympi lifts) and why i wanted to take up tkd!!

it seems that i got lost in things i’ve gotten into…

Would this be a good start?

Monday: general warm-up, plyometrics, mobility, dynamic flexibility, tricking

Tuesday: general warm-up, prehab, strength tbt (abs, legs, upper body), pnf stretches

Wednesday: general warm up, plyometrics, mobility, dynamic flexibility, tricking

Thursday: general warm-up, prehab, strength tbt (legs, abs, upper body), pnf stretches

Friday general warm-up , plyometrics, mobility, dynamic flexibility, tricking

Saturday: general warm-up, prehab, strength tbt (upper body, abs, legs) pnf stretches

Sunday some fun recreational thing, like swimming for example

Gtg fingertip work everyday
Dynamic morning stretches every day
Eat every 2-3 h
Drink 4 liters of water a dy
Abs are a priority for athletes, especially ectomorphs. Legs are second on the list of priorities…
3 sets per exercise
Tuesday �?? ab roll,push press, snatch, handstand push-ups, pull-ups, stomach vacuum

Thursday �?? pistols, one legged deadlifts, hanging leg raises, isometric front lever, one arm push-ups, stomach vacuum

Saturday - planche, front lever pull-ups, ab roll, (one legged or weighted) sissy squats, pistols, stomach vacuum

where would the hindu squat or pushup fit in?..do i need muscle enurance work to build up the capillary system and tendons and ligaments?

since hindu squats and pushups arent very taxing, i’d put them at the beginning of your workouts. they’d be a good warm up anyways.

there’s no such thing as the capillary system. its part of the cardiovascular system.

but yes, high rep work does improve those things, but i wouldnt go hay day on it. if you want to improve relative strength, too much high rep work can be counter productive. fitting in one to two sets of high rep work at the end of your heavy sets for each muscle group should do fine.

so an example could look like this:

pullups: 4 sets of 3-5 reps (add weight of necessary)

assisted pullups: 1-2 sets of 10-12 reps

obviously, if unable to do assisted pullups, lat-pulldown will do.

and since it will be the start of a new school year here at the university of windsor, i wont be on here as much, so you may need help from others. i’ll try to be on as much as possible though.

thanks again forbes, you’ve been a lot of help

…and yes, i know there is no capillary system, something was probably interrupting my train of thought so i lost concentration and wrote something stupid…i’m not an ignorant on biology and human anatomy.

i usually get the general idea of things pretty easily but have problems with little decisions and details like these, they usually distract me from doing more important things (being dominantly ‘‘right brained’’)

nothing works abs like heavy front squats, heavy rack pulls/deads. Your core can only go so far with doing leg raises and things of that nature (if you never have done core work, then it’ll help for a while). I still incorporate them (to maintain core strength) but I know my core is getting hit its hardest during heaving lifts like I mentioned.

You need to gain another 30 lbs of lean mass. You’d look alot better, feel alot better and be alot more athletic. WS4SB is an awesome program, especially for us skinny guys. I have the same frame as you and I have to eat massive amounts to gain weight. Good luck on your goals.