T Nation

Help Putting a Hepburn Program Together

I would like some help to put together Doug Hepburn type program that sticks as close as possible to his parameters.

My first snag is that I can only train 3 times a week due to commitments so following his upper body lower body split that he recommends isn’t viable.

I was thinking that maybe I could devote one day to each powerlift although Hepburn trained each lift twice a week.

He did state later in life that he should have done the power and pump routines as to separate programs as he felt it was to much doing them together but maybe if I’m only hitting each lift once a week it would be alright ?

If anyone who is familiar with Hepburns work has any suggestions I would like to hear them please.

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with these two posts:

They were very helpful for me.
I don’t know whether your goals lean more toward strength or towards mass but you should be able to tinker together a 3x a week set up. Squat and deadlift on the same day looks interesting :slight_smile:

I would probably try something like this for 3x a week:

Mon Squat 8x2, working up to 8x3
Deficit deadlifts 8x1, not going too crazy on the weight
OHP 8x2, working up to 8x3
Bench 5x3, working up to 5x5

Wed Deadlifts 8x2, working up to 8x3
Squat 5x3, working up to 5x5
Bench 8x2, working up to 8x3
Push press 8x1, not going too crazy on the weight

Fri Squat 8x2, working up to 8x3
RDL 5x3, working up to 5x5
OHP 8x2, working up to 8x3
Bench 5x3, working up to 5x5

And get a massage in the weekend.

grippit thanks for your input and the links you provided :slight_smile: I had read the first one before but hadn’t come across the second one, I like d how you mixed the 8x3 and the 5x5 with in the sessions although I think doing each lift 3 times a week might be a little to much volume for me considering Hepburn only did each lift twice a week, but overall interesting stuff thanks,