T Nation

Help: Post-Deadlift Crash

I had a bad experience deadlifting today ? serious headache and vomiting afterwards ? and need advice from other over-35s with experience.

First, my background: I?m 36 years old, and have been lifting one year. I weigh 98kg, with around 13% bf, currently doing a slowish cut, aiming to get back down to around 8% while maintaining muscle and still lifting ?heavy? (for me ? I?m still a beginner) and trying to increase the weights gradually.

I eat clean, taking in around 3000kCal per day in six meals, with carbs concentrated into breakfast and post-workout shake. I?m currently taking HOT-ROX, creatine, fish oil as well as protein powder and Surge.

Here?s what happened today: it was deadlift day, and my plan was to do 4 x 10 with 130kg. (My last two deadlift days I did 4 x 6 and 4 x 8 with 130kg ? but while traveling, so the bar may have weighed less.) I got through a couple of sets, but felt like crap and had to stop.

By the time I got home, I was feeling even worse. About an hour after crawling into bed, I had to get up to vomit a stomachful of undigested Surge (yuck). It took another hour or so for my splitting headache to go away.

This whole experience was scary for me and for my family. It?s the first time I?ve had any kind of serious bad reaction to lifting. Does this kind of thing just happen from time to time? Or am I doing something wrong? Could it be the HOT-ROX? (I got sick last time I took it as well, but it may be unrelated, or it may have been from suppressed immune function from the general physical stress of cutting.)

I don?t want to abandon bodybuilding, but what happened today was not something I want to repeat. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks!

How do you know for certain if your illness was caused from training or deadlifting specifically? You mentioned doing 4x8 w/130kg the week prior. This week you got to almost 2x10 with the same weight and started feeling ill.

This isn’t too far from what you have already done so I don’t see how it could have been a strenuous overload on your central nervous system.

Normally when one vomits after an unusually hard set, and I think it’s rare that it happens for most people, they are usually fine after puking and continue on with training. Those that puke under these conditions report this.

I’ve come real close a few times in the early days when I was doing 20-rep squats and I’ve sure felt my gut turning many times since then during training, but I never had to stop and then crawl into bed.

It appears to me that you acquired some other type of illness and the timing that it came on unfortunately coincided with your training. Stomach viruses can come out of nowhere. One minute your feeling great and having your lunch and then an hour later you feel terrible and toss it out and then it’s over in a day.

If you still have this going on after a few days, you can’t keep nothing down and are dehydrated or your symptoms get worse in other areas then go see a doctor. Only you know how you feel.

[quote]Raw Power wrote:
How do you know for certain if your illness was caused from training or deadlifting specifically? You mentioned doing 4x8 w/130kg the week prior. This week you got to almost 2x10 with the same weight and started feeling ill.

This isn’t too far from what you have already done so I don’t see how it could have been a strenuous overload on your central nervous system.

Normally when one vomits after an unusually hard set, and I think it’s rare that it happens for most people, they are usually fine after puking and continue on with training. Those that puke under these conditions report this.

I’ve come real close a few times in the early days when I was doing 20-rep squats and I’ve sure felt my gut turning many times since then during training, but I never had to stop and then crawl into bed.

It appears to me that you acquired some other type of illness and the timing that it came on unfortunately coincided with your training. Stomach viruses can come out of nowhere. One minute your feeling great and having your lunch and then an hour later you feel terrible and toss it out and then it’s over in a day.

If you still have this going on after a few days, you can’t keep nothing down and are dehydrated or your symptoms get worse in other areas then go see a doctor. Only you know how you feel.

[/quote]

I want to agree with the above.
I also tossed my cookies on the 20 rep squat program. It felt different than what you describe. On your next heavy day, move up in weight slowly, and take it easy. I think you’ll be fine. Let us know what happens.

Let me share what happened last Monday. I went in, did my workout but felt strange afterwards. I am doing a 10x10 volume training program at this point. Nothing too heavy mind you, just 275. After I got home I was having chills and running a fever of 101 F. I felt like tossing my cookies, but rarely do and didn’t this time. i went to bed and the next morning woke up… just fine.

What likely happened is that I was getting sick while training. Retrospectively I was likely running a fever while lifting. Why didn’t it last too long? Most probably I already had the bug before. 24 or 48 bugs are usually either some acute tummy bug that you get rid of by the trots + vomiting or something you have immunity to already.

Next workout went fine with no problems. I would suspect that you have had a similar bout.

But what do I know… I suppose it is also possible that you are having some stomach issue, e.g. an incipient ulcer. I got an ulcer when I was in my early 20’s and what got me to the doctor is feeling seriously nauseated for a few weeks. Only way for you to be sure is to get back in there and try it again. I’ve trained until i wanted to puke but it just doesn’t sound like you were close to that level of exertion.

cheers,

jj

To add to the same things already said in this thread…

the symptoms that you describe line up exactly with this year’s flu that has been hitting us here in So. California. Splitting headache, loss of energy, and vomiting. Usually lasts 2-3 days.

I wouldn’t rule out a bad reaction to the HOT-ROX. I’d suggest stop taking it for a few days and then add it again to your routine to see what happens.

And as the others have said, lifting related nausea from over-doing it usually passes relatively quickly after you stop and/or vomit, so I don’t think that’s the issue.

jj-dude:

I assume when you are talking about 10x10 and 275 you are talking squats.

I think those are killer numbers. I doubt many could match them. Good work. That last set must be fucking brutal, unless you are a fucking monster.

Hey, I have been having the same problem. I was votimiting regularly after workouts for about 2 months… just thought I was pushing it too hard. Then last night I did a light leg work out followed by 30 minutes of stretching. I got up, had to puke, but it didn’t help like it had done in the past. I ended up getting too light headed and very near blacking out.

I went to the emergency room and they told my I was just too hardcore for my body. ha, now seriously they believe that I have a haital hernia ( has to do with your stomach pushing up into your chest cavity/asophogus). They told me it is very common and can be aggravated by intra-abdominal (spelling??) pressure (which makes sense in my case with lots of squats, oly pulls ect).

I am not a doctor and I am NOT saying that you have the same thing but, it is worth checking out with your doctor or a GI doctor to make sure. Hope this helps - Jon

[quote]utman316 wrote:

I went to the emergency room and they told my I was just too hardcore for my body. ha, now seriously they believe that I have a haital hernia ( has to do with your stomach pushing up into your chest cavity/asophogus). They told me it is very common and can be aggravated by intra-abdominal (spelling??) pressure (which makes sense in my case with lots of squats, oly pulls ect).
[/quote]

I have a hiatal hernia and I don’t have any of these issues that you are describing. I train heavy and hard and do not get sick to the point of nausea, vomiting, blacking out, etc.,

Do you have bad heartburn? How about trouble swallowing your food? Does your food get stuck on it’s way down to your gut? These are symptoms of a hiatal hernia.

Last week I had an endoscopy (camera down the esophagus and to the gut) and then an esophageal dialation (stretching of the esophagus to make it possible to swallow). I recommend you see a GI doctor and have these done if you think that you have a hiatal hernia. A hiatal hernia will give you scarring in the esophagus in most cases.

I didn’t even know I had a hiatal hernia up until the test was done. I was having the test done because my esophagus had been damaged from a large thyroid tumor that had recently been removed. I didn’t have the heartburn, but I had swallowing/eating problems. The doctor told me that a lot of people have them and don’t know it. He said I could have been born with it. There is a medication for it called Protonix that you take for two months and that’s supposed to clear it up.

Get it checked out if you think it’s an issue. I’ve felt like throwing a party every time I eat now since I had that procedure done because now I can eat and my food falls right in the bucket like it’s supposed to. This makes you appreciate the little things in life.

I’m doing them as part of a really brutal circuits and yes they suck totally. Can’t get enough of them…

jj

That doesn’t sound like a reaction to exercise, but more like food poisoning of some sort. Some folks have that reaction to sucralose too.