T Nation

Help Please

hi im m/22/ 5’9 198 18±2% I have been dieting and lifting with seperate cardio, and i cant seem to drop the bfp much. My diet is 1700 net calories with lots of fruit and veggies, chicken, fish, and lean beef, rotated. I recently had shoulder surgery 5 months ago,i am cleared to go back hard. My biggest concern is i can drop to 190 but not change my definition or muscle much…

Basically im stuck and need help I dont mind weighing 198-200 if it was lbm, concern areas are stomach and chest that im having trouble leaning and I have been diligent counting calroies, and doing as much cardio as i have time for(running and swiming)

open to all suggestions

[quote]joos wrote:
I have been dieting and lifting with seperate cardio, and i cant seem to drop the bfp much.[/quote]
What exactly does your training week look like - the days, exercises, sets, reps, and cardio method/duration?

How long have you been following your current plan and exactly what results have you seen?

What do you mean by “net calories”? What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

[quote]My biggest concern is i can drop to 190 but not change my definition or muscle much…

Basically im stuck and need help I dont mind weighing 198-200 if it was lbm[/quote]
I’m confused. Is your long-term goal to be a kinda lean 200 pounds? Because at your height that’s a big goal, but certainly doable down the road, not overnight or anytime soon.

1,700 calories is pretty low for a 200-pound guy lifting and doing cardio several times a week. Your overall plan needs to be tweaked, depending on what the particulars currently are.

[quote]joos wrote:
hi im m/22/ 5’9 198 18±2% I have been dieting and lifting with seperate cardio, and i cant seem to drop the bfp much. My diet is 1700 net calories with lots of fruit and veggies, chicken, fish, and lean beef, rotated. I recently had shoulder surgery 5 months ago,i am cleared to go back hard. My biggest concern is i can drop to 190 but not change my definition or muscle much…

Basically im stuck and need help I dont mind weighing 198-200 if it was lbm, concern areas are stomach and chest that im having trouble leaning and I have been diligent counting calroies, and doing as much cardio as i have time for(running and swiming)

open to all suggestions [/quote]

Have you been dropping weight over the last few months, and this is the lowest you’ve gotten so far? If so, it sounds like your weight loss has stalled, and either you aren’t counting calories accurately, or you need to spend some more time strength training so your body has a reason to burn fat and build muscle. More details about what your background is would help though.

by net cals i mean total ate - workout
AM: swim two 500 meter ladders
Breakfast: 8oz of milk promasil protein shake , bagel two eggs, 1 peice cheese, 2 ham slices
vita pak

lunch : two hole chicken breast carrots ,sugar peas, and broccoli , 1 large apple 74-125 oz of water

work out afternoon lower body mnday wed friday upper body tues thurd sat : sunday easy cardio … its a modified Bigger Faster Stronger program with 2miles at 6mph

dinner two fish fillets , carrots, broccoli, or mixed veggies to scoops of protein @90 cal each

my goal is to be lean where my body is supposed to be right now and then add mass, the reason i say id be fine with 195 200 is because thats where i cant bust its below 189 i have been doing this current schedule has been for the last 4.5 months but even in highschool and sports i weighed 195 and couldnt break 190 but never really change physique much ive been more serious this last 4.5 because i had shoulder surgery and im sick of not looking as cut and good as i want

hope this helps let me know if you need more info

i added a quick pic to my profile to give an idea

[quote]joos wrote:
by net cals i mean total ate - workout [/quote]
Okay, yeah, don’t do that. Just discuss the total, actual calories you eat. It’s too hard to accurately track the calories burned during training, and nobody in the bodybuilding/fitness industry that I can think of tracks “net calories”.

People track total calories, maybe the macro breakdown (how many grams of protein/carbs/fat), what the training looks like (weights and cardio), what’s happening to your body (gaining weight, losing weight, looking fatter, etc.), and then make adjustments as needed.

Get on a better program. Unless there’s a reason you haven’t mentioned for wanting to stick with something like the BFS program 6 days a week, it will definitely help to be on a more bodybuilding-type program (as in, one specifically meant to build muscle and drop fat).

As far as nutrition, I like this as a pretty simple step-by-step plan to get things started:

Sorry, I still don’t really follow. Your goal is to get to 195 because you’ve never been below 190? If the goal is to get lean, how’bout we mostly focus on looking lean while understanding that when it’s done right, you’ll pretty much definitely go down in weight while still looking better.

Based on your (blurry, crooked) photo, you definitely have more than 10 pounds to lose before you look ripped or even pretty lean, so don’t get your heart set on being “190 with a 6-pack” in the near future. Just focus on one goal - getting lean without sacrificing muscle - and then we can shift gears down the road.

If you’ve been training 4 and a half months and haven’t seen any significant changes, that should be a huge red flag that your diet and training needs some serious changes. Like, plan on changing almost everything you’re currently doing as far as how you’re eating, how you’re lifting, and how you’re handling cardio. It’s a “do what you’ve always done, get what you’ve always got”-type of thing.

ok project start over ! ill stay intouch with you