Help Picking Routine for 40 Year Old?

Bam. I’ve finally got work sorted and I’m back in the gym every week. But I’m old now :slight_smile:

I need some help picking a routine. I’m 40 years old. 175lbs, 5’9". I’m in ok shape, can run a 5k. But I haven’t been lifting on a regular basis for awhile.

My limitations are I can only be in the gym 3 times per week. But when I’m there it can be for 1 - 1.5 hours.

I do have some shoulder issues that mean I have to take it easy on bench presses until I get back in the swing of things. But dumbell presses give me no problems.

Help a brother out? If I can only be in there 3 days a week what’s the best way to go?

Thanks
David

I like to do 3 full body workouts a week. I do one exercise per body part and 4 sets per exercise. I have 2 workouts written up and alternate them.

Same as above, but I follow a program.

Waterbury has a lot of 3x a week programs.

40 isn’t old, and you don’t need to do anything special because of your age. I’m 58 and hit the gym hard 4X/week. There are plenty of good programs on this site - just pick one in line with your goals and be consistent. Take care of those shoulders by learning how to bench properly. Most shoulder issues brought on by benching are due to poor form and/or lifting too heavy too often. Learn how to properly pack your shoulders for the bench - youtube videos will help.

5 3 1 can be done 3x a week

These good way to get back into it…

Instead of bench fine to just do machine press/ dumbells for higher reps etc

Can add on or two of these of these in warmup for shoulder health…

maybe if you go 3x week and its been a while since you were lifting you could go for a full body split such as starting strength?
if your shoulders are an issue you could substitute bench press and overhead press with light dumbell press