Help: Pain in Left Pec Insert

Two weeks ago I lifted a new best on dumbell flat presses. I managed to do two sets for triples and two sets of singles with the weight. Pain began on the second set and got really bad on the fourth.

The pain was felt near the armpit on the left side only. I took a week off, went back to the gym, warmed-up, stretched the chest well, and began experiencing the same pain again using the same weight. Now I’m really freaked out.

I only train chest about once a week and always warm-up thoroughly. Can someone please explain what causes this pain and how best to eliminate it? Is this a common chest injury? Is it a sign that a pec tear is imminent? Can you train through this pain, or, is it better to lay off pressing completely?

Any help/suggestions will be really appreciated.

[quote]FricFrac wrote:
Two weeks ago I lifted a new best on dumbell flat presses. I managed to do two sets for triples and two sets of singles with the weight. Pain began on the second set and got really bad on the fourth.

The pain was felt near the armpit on the left side only. I took a week off, went back to the gym, warmed-up, stretched the chest well, and began experiencing the same pain again using the same weight. Now I’m really freaked out.

I only train chest about once a week and always warm-up thoroughly. Can someone please explain what causes this pain and how best to eliminate it? Is this a common chest injury? Is it a sign that a pec tear is imminent? Can you train through this pain, or, is it better to lay off pressing completely?

Any help/suggestions will be really appreciated.[/quote]

I recently hurt my pec, I had a deep soreness in the insert for a couple weeks before hand. Then I tore it dumbell benching.

Do shoulder press and triceps and maybe some medium high rep cable flys for a little while.

Your muscles can get stronger faster than your tendons so when your chest can handle 405 but your tendons can handel 395 you get a tear.