T Nation

Help, My Son Wants Bigger Arms

I’m not new but I’m no expert… my son is fifteen, full of T. and wanting bigger arms. I’ve been taking him through full body workouts and we seem to be making gains everywhere but he keeps telling me his biceps are never sore the next day. that’s his goal, BIGGER ARMS. I’ve had him do Dr. Darden’s arm plan, HIT to total failure, etc. taken him to the point where he cannot even hold his arms up at the end.

He seems to recover very quickly though.

My question is, just because he doesn’t get sore does that mean we are not intense enough or do young arms grow just as much with out the pain the next day like I have after a hard arm day?

thanks for any help!

Are you progressively adding weight to his lifts? If so, you have nothing to worry about.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Are you progressively adding weight to his lifts? If so, you have nothing to worry about.[/quote]

Yes, He just doesn’t get sore in the arms.

im pretty new here and im no expert either… but im 17 young. i dont think that soreness is necassarily a definite sign of growth but it makes me feel like ive achieved more if i am sore the next day/days. i just started a new program called pendelum bodybuilding i found on this site, the author is Christian Thibaudeau. yesterday was my first arm workout of the program and it has alot of supersetted arm exercise with some tempo contrasts.

i havent been on the program long enough to say if im going to make any huge gains but my arms are sore as hell today. also Charles Poliquin wrote an article on here called one-day arm cure that is focused on getting big gains in your arms but it takes a full day and im not really sure if its appropriate for a 15 year old. just thought i might suggest some of those things good luck man.

i did a bicep/tricep workout about 10 hours ago and my biceps are already sore. heres the two exercises i did today

incline DB curls

flat bench cable curls to head. basically you take a bench, lay on it and curl the weight to your head, make sure to get a couple squeezes in the last few reps and hold it good too.

also this kids arms arent just going to get bigger alone. around this site its pretty much told to everyone that you need to add overall bodysize from head to toe in order to increase arm size. so get your kid squatting, deadlifting, benching, overhead pressing, doing dips, curls, everything with enough intensity and food and then his arms will grow. but they wont just grow by themselves at least not by much.

Fuck the “One-Day Arm Cure”. Poliquin’s a good guy, but come on now.

As far as the soreness is concerned - make sure your son is doing his best to activate his mind-muscle connection for his biceps (ie, he should feel the work his biceps are doing, not just some localized fatigue)…this was one of the big things keeping my biceps from progressing (and feeling like they were, too). Once I was able to feel my biceps contracting forcefully with each rep, I started to feel some intense soreness the next day. Shit, now I can get a solid pump going there after a single set of 6.

Other than that, your son wants bigger arms…who doesn’t?

How much does he weigh?

Yeah the one day arm cure is not for 15 year olds, let alone 17 year olds. It is for a 240lb plateaued man with 3+ training years under his belt.

Does your son like chinups? Give “Keep your Chin Up” a go, totally raped my arms. Personally I would make one change, and that would be to superset some tricep work and stretch longer afterward, maybe even splint his elbows straight when he hits level 3, because MY ARMS WOULDN’T STRAIGHTEN FOR 3 DAYS. I slept on them bent, woke up the next day with perma-right angled arms :smiley:

What I see pretty regularly in the gym from the younger guys is that when they do curls they bring the bar above their shoulder, and or use poor form. I’ve got a couple of them doing CT’s “Constant Tension Alternate Curl” and they love it.

Ok bud, I’m no expert by any means. There is this arm routine that I guarantee will make your son’s arms sore and improve with awesome results

See Attached Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wuQHv_Puq0

Do you have your son on a decent diet that allows him to gain weight regularly?

If not, this is the FIRST and possibly only thing that needs to be addressed, so you can probably ignore most of the idiotic posts above me about arm specialization routines for a 15 year old.

[quote]Aggro wrote:
What I see pretty regularly in the gym from the younger guys is that when they do curls they bring the bar above their shoulder, and or use poor form. I’ve got a couple of them doing CT’s “Constant Tension Alternate Curl” and they love it.

[/quote]

thats how i always learned to do single arm curls, my highschool teacher taught me that back in 9th grade. really not a new concept.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Aggro wrote:

thats how i always learned to do single arm curls, my highschool teacher taught me that back in 9th grade. really not a new concept.[/quote]

I understand it might not be a new concept, but look around the gym next time and see what kind of form the younger guys are using for curls. Of course it could just be my gym, but if that’s the case then I guess the someone that “should” have shown them gets to be me.

TWO THINGS:

1.) Make sure he eats; no food = no growth
2.) Take measurements

Growth and soreness don’t go hand in hand.

Have a talk with your son; if he’s concentrating SO HARD on bigger arms; he’ll get bigger arms…but he’ll look weird. Having only big arms will be freaky.

Keep up the hard work with the total body stuff.

Your body is a balancing system; the rest of the body has to grow to keep the arms growing. You can’t be 150lbs with 19" arms.

~b rock

make sure he knows that when taking measurements that a 1/8" change is alot for the bicep.

I went from 179lbs to 188lbs and my arm size grew one inch; and that’s awesome in my opinion.

Squats and milk.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Squats, rows, deadlifts, bench and milk.[/quote]

Fixed it for ya.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
blazindave wrote:
Squats, rows, deadlifts, bench, heavy incline curls and milk.

Fixed it for ya.[/quote]

x2

[quote]Aggro wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Aggro wrote:

thats how i always learned to do single arm curls, my highschool teacher taught me that back in 9th grade. really not a new concept.

I understand it might not be a new concept, but look around the gym next time and see what kind of form the younger guys are using for curls. Of course it could just be my gym, but if that’s the case then I guess the someone that “should” have shown them gets to be me. [/quote]

i didnt mean to sound like a prick, just thought its funny how this is getting circulated now when its probaly been around for decades.

starting strength is what you want.

Get a bigger body.

Thanks for the input.

I don’t have much control over what he eats. He is with his mom most of the time but he eats like a pig when he is with me. And yes, it’s mostly clean.

He is making gains, just not fast enough. LOL

I’ll just keep working with him and be sure his form is correct.

Thanks again.