T Nation

Help My Routine!

Hey guys, i’ve scoured about every inch of this site for about a year. After getting a lot of info I decided I just needed to set it aside for a while, and use whatever I absorbed. So, for about 6 months i’ve been hitting up a serious and big diet and lifting one of every three days. I have put on 15lbs in that time and have gone from 5’7" 125 to 140. My body fat % has gone down and im now at ~12%. I’m 22 years old.

My diet revolves around chicken breast, lean beef, fruits, vegetables, pasta/rice (usually just post-workout), and protein supplements in the morning (with oats) and before bed.

That said, my workout regimen is not very sophisticated. Basically my situation is this: I don’t have access to a gym and my weight set consists of a barbell, a bench, and a rickety old rack.

I’m limited with equipment and also I’ve been trying to keep things BASIC so I can stay motivated and just hit the weights with intensity every third day. It’s also taken me a while to get the form down for my lifts

So this is what i do each session:

Deadlift 4x4
Squat 4x4
Bench 4x4

I’m getting stronger, having fun, and my sessions are intense. I’m really pumped to be making strength gains so I love to get out there and move weights around. I add 5 lbs to the deadlift each session, my squat progression is slightly slower, and my bench progression slower than squat.

I’m not looking for a perfect program, but just something that is effective and fun. What can I do to make my program more effective (for getting big and strong) but still keep it basic (i’m not ready for something complicated - i just started to get the form down for these lifts and would gradually like to add more if it’s a good idea)?

Any advice appreciated!

I love this place!

Try a setup like this:

Monday 1:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin Up 3xRM

Wednesday 1:
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Weighted Crunches 3x8

Friday 1:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Wide Grip Pull Ups 3xRM

Monday 2:
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Chin Up 3xRM

Wednesday 2:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Weighted Crunches 3x8

Friday 2:
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Wide Grip Pull Ups 3xRM

If you can’t do Power Cleans, use Pendlay Rows at 3x5 instead.

Thanks for the input. What is a press? Does that mean something like a push press?

I think the pendlay rows will be better for now, i don’t have the rubber weights and if i cracked the floor where i work out i would be out A LOT of $$$$. How much weight should I be doing on that? About the same as my Bench?

Also, i’m looking for creative ideas for pullups/chinups. I obviously don’t have a pullup bar - has anyone tried putting a barbell on the rack and doing pullups from there? Anything I should know about that?

Also, what do these lifts add to my workout? I know press is for shoulders - are the rows, pullups, and chinups for different back muscles than deadlifts?

My school gym doesn’t have an offical pull up rack and since I’m short, I just put the barbell on the highest rack and bend my legs. It gives me enough leeway to extend my arms.

Also, for cleans and for you’re workout in general, you could try buying a rubber mat thats 7 x 7 or something bigger than that and cut it up. Put it in the floor and you can deadlift/clean/snatch without any major worries to you floor.

Rows, pull-ups, and chin-ups work the upper back muscles (ie trapezius). If you want to know more about these exercises, www.exrx.net has an exercise database with guidelines and information about which muscles they stimulate.

A “Press” is the real name for standing overhead press. It’s like a push press except there is no leg drive. It’s not as strict as a military press.

Pendlay Rows should be similar loading to bench press.

Definitely look at exrx.net. Many of your questions are answered there.

For rubber matting get horse stall mats from farm supply stores.