Help Moving from The Barbell Prescription to Wendler 5/3/1

What 5/3/1 program would you suggest starting a 60 year old man who just finished a 2 day a week program from Sullivan and Bakers:The Barbell Prescription.

His program was:

Monday
Squat 5x3
Bench 5x3
Lat Pulldowns 10x3

Thursday
Light Squat 3x3 (90% Reduction from Monday)
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

He was increasing Squats 5lbs a week, Bench and Press 2lbs a week, and Dead lifts 10lbs a week before he stalled.

No conditioning other than walking and no mobility work at all.

He likes the looks of the lower progression of 5/3/1 and we want to get him started off on the right path.

I think Jim has answered this before but I can not find the post.

Thanks

Can’t go wrong with the original 5/3/1 or Triumvirate

Disclaimer: I’ve only read 5/3/1 1st and 2nd ed, none of the books after those. There could be better options specifically targeted for his age. Although if you check 5/3/1 for beginners, you’ll see that jim says “Generally, I tell everyone to just do the 5/3/1 program as is, regardless of training age.”

2 Likes

I recommend picking up 531 forever; use 5’s progression with something like First Set Last or Slightly Less Boring but Big or even Simple Strength Template. And start doing mobility work!! Check out some of John Rusin’s work on that subject.

There are some 2x week programs available that Jim put out. The forever book has them. The SST is a great option too. I ran it several years ago and enjoyed it. Simple thing to do is to just run a 5s pro fsl template or the triviumvirate template.