Help Mixing Powerlifting and Oly Lifting

I’ve recently joined a Olympic lifting club and i am enjoying learning how to lift properly. I’ll be going once a week on a Wednesday, Im not interested in competing or anything so i dont want to give up on the PL movements.

What i want to do is 2 day PL one day OL. I just dont know how to program the none OL days. Push/Pull? Upper/Lower? Full body? I cant find any workout like this. OL training is usually Snatch, C & J, Squat. Any help would be great

No one has info on this?

Monday ME Effort Squat/Deadlift
Tuesday off
Wednesday Oly lifting
Thursday off
Friday Bench and Upper assistance
Saturday focus on lagging minor bodyparts ie… Biceps calves ABS or off
Sunday off

There are some existing threads over in the O-lifting forum. Try the search function.

Reed has a good split. That’s the first idea that came to my mind.

You don’t want your arms sore for your Oly lifting because it will lead to a lot of bad technical errors if you a) can’t get your arms in proper position because you’re tight in the shoulders/elbows/biceps/lats/whatever or b) you start pulling with the arms chronically bent because of stiffness in said arms/lats/biceps/whatever.

hamstrings and legs in general on the other hand can handle a good workout and be ok for light weights on wednesday because if you can ALREADY squat correctly, then squatting really light weights for technique practice on Wed is not going to be a problem. That and by the time that you get to front squats you’ll be a lot looser in the legs from all the snatch and C/J work, even if you started the workout kinda tight.

If you’re only going to do Oly lifting 1 day a week, you might as well make it this split, or something similar (maybe toy with the intensity on Monday). I’d also say that the majority of your Monday ME work can be deadlift oriented because a) you are going to squat on Wed anyway b) Oly lifters do very little in the way of direct deadlift training and c) nobody has hamstrings that are TOO strong. This is just an option, you can certainly squat on monday too if you like.

Check out VanillaGorilla’s log in the 0-35 section. He trains for both Oly and PL and its a freaking eye-opener.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_senior/easy_strength_40_day_routine_dan_john_program?pageNo=2#bottom

Here’s his last workout listed and he does something like this 4 days a week:

Lifting today went very fast and I am working on technique for the snatch and clean and jerk which is more taxing lifting due to the methodical step by step practice.

Warm Ups:
25 Goblet Squats w/25 lbs kettlebell
100 Swings w/25 lbs kettlebell

Snatch:
8x3x45 lbs (bar)
2x95; 2x105;2x115;2x120;2x140 lbs

Clean and Jerk:
1x135; 1x145;1x155;1x165;1x175 lbs;1x205 lbs(wasn’t satisfied with last lift so will do it again Wednesday)

Bach Squat:
135x5; 225x3;315x1;405x1;500x1

Fat Gripz Close Grip Bench:
135x5;185x3; 210 lbs x2x3

Standing Presses:
3x5x135 lbs

400 Meter Loaded Carry w/35 lbs each hand

25 Standing Crunches w/60 lbs

One hour and 15 minutes lift time was intense. I will try to pare down to 1 hour as soon as possilbe. Getting my form for the snatch and clean and Jerk is challenging.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys, Do you think pressing is necessary when im oly lifting? Does the snatch and C & J work the shoulders enough or should i continue to press? Also im still pretty ( Very ) Weak I was thinking of something like this.
Workout A ( Monday)
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Row 3x5
Chins 20 reps

Oly Lifting ( Wednesday )

Workout B ( Friday )
F Squat 3x5
Press/Incline Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Would this be OK? Also I wouldn’t really know how to program a ME Day. Sorry for all the questions.

sunday: ME lower day: the olympic lifts then squat or deadlift variation up to max somewhere between one and five reps afterwards assistance work for hypertrophy/weaker body parts

monday: DE upper day : Jerks, then dynamic effort bench press followed by upper body and extra shoulder work

wednse day: DE lower: the olympic lifts at 80-90 of your max focusing on speed and technique followed by assistance work

friday: max effort upper day: max bench/overhead variation (push press, jerk, strict, normal press, behind the neck jerk, snatch grip overhead press, snatch grip push press, snatch grip behind the neck push press it can vary) up to a max set of 1, or 3, or 5 followed by lats/upperback work and whatever else is needed

Is one way you could do it, there can be many many ways to do it though, you had also said you are still quite weak, how weak?

[quote]ineedskins wrote:
Thanks for the replies and advice guys, Do you think pressing is necessary when im oly lifting? Does the snatch and C & J work the shoulders enough or should i continue to press? Also im still pretty ( Very ) Weak I was thinking of something like this.
Workout A ( Monday)
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Row 3x5
Chins 20 reps

Oly Lifting ( Wednesday )

Workout B ( Friday )
F Squat 3x5
Press/Incline Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Would this be OK? Also I wouldn’t really know how to program a ME Day. Sorry for all the questions.
[/quote]

That looks pretty damn good.

I like DSSG’s split too actually. I do something similar–i snatch every time I go to the gym. It goes first directly aftrr my dynamic warm-up, and I often use olympic lifting style complexes for my dynamic warm-up. I vary the intensity of the snatch weight although for you as a complete beginner should be following your coaches advice and not going heavy–read CT’s post on,the importance of technique in one of the olympic forum threads.

After olympic work I either front squat and bench, dynamic squat and bench and deadlift, or some form of powerlifting session.

I highly recommend practicing the olympic lifts AT your coaches gym more than once a week.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
sunday: ME lower day: the olympic lifts then squat or deadlift variation up to max somewhere between one and five reps afterwards assistance work for hypertrophy/weaker body parts

monday: DE upper day : Jerks, then dynamic effort bench press followed by upper body and extra shoulder work

wednse day: DE lower: the olympic lifts at 80-90 of your max focusing on speed and technique followed by assistance work

friday: max effort upper day: max bench/overhead variation (push press, jerk, strict, normal press, behind the neck jerk, snatch grip overhead press, snatch grip push press, snatch grip behind the neck push press it can vary) up to a max set of 1, or 3, or 5 followed by lats/upperback work and whatever else is needed

Is one way you could do it, there can be many many ways to do it though, you had also said you are still quite weak, how weak? [/quote]

Thanks for the reply but i still dont have the form perfect so i can only oly lifting on Wednesdays when im with my coach. Very Weak. Ive recently stopped losing weight and want to start gaining, I lost 40 lbs and i am now 172 lbs at 6ft. My Max lifts are around: Squat 95kg Bench 65kg Deadlift 140kg Press 47.5 kg. Ive only been Oly lifting for around 2 weeks so im not sure of my max on them. I want to get alot stronger on all my lifts this year.