T Nation

Help Me With Pinching

Hello,

I am getting a little frustrated trying to estimate my body fat %.

I am 171cm (5’8’’) and 73kg (160lbs). My waist is 87cm.
Now if I do “tape measurement” (height : 171, neck 37, abdomen 87) the calculator gives me 20% bf.

If I try calliper method (Jackson/pollock formula). I get :
chest : 14mm, Abdominal : 20mm, Thigh 14mm and the calculator display 14% bf.

If I try iliac crest measurement (from accu measure table) I can pinch 12mm which gives me 13.6%. If I try to pinch a little on the side (directly above the middle of hip bone) I get 14mm). To be able to pinch 20mm (which would be 20% bf) I have to pinch a little farer than directly below my armpit)

I am obviously doing something wrong here :slight_smile:

Do you have any tips of proper pinching technique for callipers ? How to locate iliac crest ? How to estimate bf% from other measurements ?

It sounds ok to me. Most body composition tests arent very accurate. The most accurate is +/- 1.5%, but the normal calliper or anyother method that doesnt need a few thousand dollars worth of equipment is goning to be around +/- 4-6% (or worse). So your probally somewhere between 14 and 20%. The best thing is to just look at your self in the mirror.

[quote]donk123 wrote:
Hello,

I am getting a little frustrated trying to estimate my body fat %.

I am 171cm (5’8’’) and 73kg (160lbs). My waist is 87cm.
Now if I do “tape measurement” (height : 171, neck 37, abdomen 87) the calculator gives me 20% bf.

If I try calliper method (Jackson/pollock formula). I get :
chest : 14mm, Abdominal : 20mm, Thigh 14mm and the calculator display 14% bf.

If I try iliac crest measurement (from accu measure table) I can pinch 12mm which gives me 13.6%. If I try to pinch a little on the side (directly above the middle of hip bone) I get 14mm). To be able to pinch 20mm (which would be 20% bf) I have to pinch a little farer than directly below my armpit)

I am obviously doing something wrong here :slight_smile:

Do you have any tips of proper pinching technique for callipers ? How to locate iliac crest ? How to estimate bf% from other measurements ?
[/quote]

If you put this much effort into training you’d be the envy of every person on this forum.