Help Me! Where Do I Begin?

help i’m trying to lose weight and build lean muscle and i don’t know where to begin. i am 5’7" and weight 292lbs. i just started taking fat burners, lipo-6 and have seen some results, but would like to know what else i can take to help build muscle. I have moderately high blood pressure but noticed the numbers have dropped since my weight has dropped. I am not looking for miracles, just honest to goodness advice.

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459598

Should help

Hi Ladydee,

I would suggest starting simple. You have to get your diet in order. Get rid of the processed, sweeteened, etc. foods. If it is there you will eat it, trust me. You need to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. Don’t be afraid to do this. There are several good diets here. Try not to mix carbohydrates & fats in the same meal. Eat protein & fat or protein & carbs.

All of this information is on this website. Look in the “Article Library”. In Nutrition & Supplements there is an article titled “The Top 30 Testosterone Nation Diet Articles”.

As for working out, again start simple. Just get moving. When you get ready to hit the weights, this is a good beginner’s program.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460561

Jana

Good advice above!

Just keep it simple and consistant

I would suggest logging your food and workouts so you can track progress and see what is working for you. I mean if your not progressing like you wanted and you didnt keep track of what you did you won’t know what needs to be changed.

Also at your height and weight I would be more worried about fat lose and over all health before worrying about building muscle. Not saying you can’t build muscle and lose weight (expecially if your a newbie) or that you shouldnt be weight training. Just don’t go over board and make sure you take any health risks into consideration.

[quote]jana wrote:
Hi Ladydee,

I would suggest starting simple. You have to get your diet in order. Get rid of the processed, sweeteened, etc. foods. If it is there you will eat it, trust me. You need to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. Don’t be afraid to do this. There are several good diets here. Try not to mix carbohydrates & fats in the same meal. Eat protein & fat or protein & carbs.

All of this information is on this website. Look in the “Article Library”. In Nutrition & Supplements there is an article titled “The Top 30 Testosterone Nation Diet Articles”.

As for working out, again start simple. Just get moving. When you get ready to hit the weights, this is a good beginner’s program.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460561

Jana[/quote]

Ladyee,

I am with Jana, keep it simple. This will keep from feeling overwhelmed, which you may already be feeling this way.

You have certainly come to the right place. Here at T-Nation you have access to everything you need to get your body in the shape you want it to be in. Read everything you can!

Keep in mind that fat burners are simply an addition to proper diet and training and in no way will ever take the place of those two. Honestly at this point I don’t see any reason why you need to take a fat burner. I would first suggest getting your diet in line as well as your exercise. After that if you want to try a fat burner then that is your choice. At that point I might recommend HOT-ROX.

I also have to agree with the comment on keeping a food log. You can’t know exactly what you are eating until it is written down.

Stay positive and realize that it will take some time, but it is possible to lose the weight. We are here for you at T-Nation and I wish you the best of luck.

Let me know if you have further questions.

T-Vixen Mod

as far as simple but effective advice goes - do a search for John Berardi’s “Seven Habit’s of Highly Effective Nutritional Programmes” article on this site. Ueful, generic and easy to implement advice that will yield excellent results.

Dan John also gives some uncomplicated advice, (on just about anything) - shunning the route of providing 20,000 scientific references to prove his point and sticking instead to writing about what has worked for him and his trainees.

You’re definitely at the right place though, I’ve been surfing internet training sites for years and this one is the best hands down. One of these days I need to get out of my bedroom and actually use some of the info I’ve gained from it…

[quote]ladydee wrote:
help i’m trying to lose weight and build lean muscle and i don’t know where to begin. i am 5’7" and weight 292lbs. i just started taking fat burners, lipo-6 and have seen some results, but would like to know what else i can take to help build muscle. I have moderately high blood pressure but noticed the numbers have dropped since my weight has dropped. I am not looking for miracles, just honest to goodness advice.[/quote]

Hi ladydee,

Here is a link to “7 Habits…”, which is a great place to start:

http://www.t-nation.com/...c.do?id=459493

There is a ton of info on this website and it can be really overwhelming if you are just starting out. I think the most important thing for you to do right now is to get your diet in order. That doesn’t have to mean that you immediately start a complex or extreme diet. But as stated in an earlier post, start making small changes, clean out the cupboards, get rid of all processed food, start eating smaller meals more frequently.

I would suggest that you start to keep a food log. One of the best tips I have ever had is to keep a food log. In the beginning, it will reveal all your habits and patterns, when you eat, what you eat, how much you eat. Even if you think you know, it is different when you see it in black and white. Then as you progress it really becomes an invaluable tool.

As far as exercise, if you are not exercising at all, just starting a walking regimen would be a great start. When I was heavy (over 200#)and a beginner, I was way to embarrassed and humiliated to just walk into a gym. But just cleaning up my diet a little and walking I dropped 20# pretty easily and that gave me some confidence, and it made me feel way better than I had expected a minimal loss would.

Sabrina