Help Me W/ Diet Numbers?

I’m 41 6 2" and 305lbs. I have been training for 2 years. Mostly mass type workouts. I have a bulged L5S1 disk and have to pass on anything that may re injure my back. I have a 380lb 1 rep bench max. Skull crusher at 135lbs, curl 60 dumbells easily. That should give you some idea of where i’m at. 2years ago I was 325, after the first 20 I stopped losing. I got bigger,stronger but not thinner.

I still have alot of bodyfat, mostly belly,some chest.
What should i be eating for protien, carbs and suppliments daily?

I dont eat much currently:
3 eggs
coffee

Sandwich
water

Chicken,beef,fish for dinner
Protien shake after work out.

I think I need to eat more to lose the fat, just how much I’m not sure.

Any help would be appriciated.

“sandwich” - not exactly full of details here are we?

I’ve seen people not lose weight from not eating ENOUGH. Your boy hordes the food because it’s not getting frequent feedings.

Now, I could chastise your lack of details, or even not getting enough protein to support what must surely be at least 200 lbs of muscle (based on your lifts)… but instead, I think you should do the ol’ “spread your food out” trick. Keep practically the same amount of food, but break it into 6 or 7 feedings instead.

Oh yeah, and if most of your training is ‘go to the gym, lift as much as I can for 1 rep’ type of stuff,… you’re not helping your weight loss either. Your building strength, connective tissue, and neurological adaptation rsponses.

-S

Hi,
I was a little vague on the diet. I eat very healthy, no sugar in 4 years. Only eat low salt foods. My wife has been training for 2 years and has a strict diet she follows and eats 6 times per day. We only eat what she can eat. Content is not the issue, the numbers are.

How do I calculate what my protien intake should be? Base it on 300lbs or 230?

What number would that be?

Carbs or low carbs?

I know i do not eat enough, just need to know what is too much?

I train the same system for every body part
Here is an example of chest:
2x per week
Pec deck increasing weights 3 sets 8-10 reps
Inclines 3 sets 8-10
Bench flat 3 sets 8-10 last set is 275 for 8

I do some cardio on the bike, but I do have bad disk so this can be an issue.

I’m thinking 3 shakes per day at 40gr protien per serving.
Maybe start the day with 6 eggs? and a shake?

Thanks

Well, I’m dieting now, but I’ll tell you what my typical day is like foodwise.

6am -Oatmeal w/raisins & banana
-Prot Shake (2 scoops Metabolic Drive)

9am -Low Carb Prot Bar
-Handful Cashews

11am -2 Cans Tuna, or 2 Chicken Breasts
-Spinach Salad or Broccoli
-Handful Cashews

2pm -Protein Shake
-Fiber 1 Cereal Bar

4pm -Small Whey Shake
-Spoonful of Peanut Butter

TRAIN 4:30 - 6:00

6:05 =PopTart (for post workout sugar)
-Whey Protein Shake

7:30 -1/2 lb Hamburger Patty or Chicken
-SPinach salad, Broccoli, or (occassionally) SOme type of pasta

10:00 -Cup of Cottage Cheese or Casein Shake

Of course I vary it up a bit, but that would be a typical day. I dont have time to get fancy with my job, and the shakes and bars are helpful for the sheer simplicity of it. Notice each ‘meal’ doesn’t really have a lot of calories, but I do eat quite frequently. If it helps keep things in perspective, I’m about 210lbs.

Stu

You want 1.5g protein for every pound of lean body mass, just enough carbs to stay out of ketosis, and tack on around 10% extra calories for good fats.

Human bodies are “homeostatic systems.” In plain English, that means that whatever you do, your body will try to adapt to it. Drop your calories and soon your metabolism will fall to match your caloric intake. Also, as your weight falls, your daily needs fall so you need to constantly adjust your calories.

It is simply not possible to get around the calories in vs. calories out formula, but most people are fooled into thinking that this is a simple formula. It isn’t.

Yes, your food choices matter, but like I said, if you simply drop your calories and don’t do something to keep your metabolism up (like High Intensity Interval Training) then in a short time, your metabolism will drop to match your intake and there you are. I suspect that you’re pretty much in starvation mode already and your 3 times a day eating pattern is the perfect way to stay there.

If you want to lose fat, your 1 rep maximum bench press is meaningless. How many minutes a day are you getting into the 70%, 80%, 90% Maximum Heart Rate zones? That’s the maximum you should be looking at. Get a heart monitor and wear it while you’re working out. You’ll be surprised at how little the typical lifting workout challenges your cardiovascular system (and by extension, your metabolism).

Get Dr. John Berardi’s The Metabolism Advantage: An 8-Week Program to Rev Up Your Body’s Fat-Burning Machine—At Any Age"

About 17.00 at amazon.com

Berardi is a T-Nation author – look around here and you will get a sense of his stuff.

The book explains how your body works w food in a very clear manner. You are doing a lot of things wrong as far as I can tell.

Sets you up with a meal plan, and a workout plan. Good recipes too if you are into that sort of thing.

The price includes a log in to an online service, where you will find a calculator that will figure out your daily fat carb and protein daily needs, based on your activity level and lean body mass. As well as a bulletin board of friendly people to give you advice.

I cannot recommend this book enough – you will learn a lot.

If you want to lose fat, your 1 rep maximum bench press is meaningless. How many minutes a day are you getting into the 70%, 80%, 90% Maximum Heart Rate zones? That’s the maximum you should be looking at. Get a heart monitor and wear it while you’re working out. You’ll be surprised at how little the typical lifting workout challenges your cardiovascular system (and by extension, your metabolism).[/quote]

The one rep max was a measure of strength gained over time. I have a heart meter, I stay at 135-154 for the hour I’m working out. If i’m done with a tricep exercise, I’ll do back and altenate back and fourth. I work out with guys half my age that dont have the intensity and form that I have. I know its diet. Just cannot get a answer on the numbers I should be at.
I’m going to eat like an animal for a month and see what happens, I’ve tried everything else.

[quote]e-loo wrote:
Get Dr. John Berardi’s The Metabolism Advantage: An 8-Week Program to Rev Up Your Body’s Fat-Burning Machine—At Any Age"

About 17.00 at amazon.com

Berardi is a T-Nation author – look around here and you will get a sense of his stuff.

The book explains how your body works w food in a very clear manner. You are doing a lot of things wrong as far as I can tell.

Sets you up with a meal plan, and a workout plan. Good recipes too if you are into that sort of thing.

The price includes a log in to an online service, where you will find a calculator that will figure out your daily fat carb and protein daily needs, based on your activity level and lean body mass. As well as a bulletin board of friendly people to give you advice.

I cannot recommend this book enough – you will learn a lot.

[/quote]

Done!
Thanks man
Just what I was looking for…