T Nation

Help Me Understand Why?

I am trying to keep fit but I notest some thing strange, If I run outdoors I can not past the 10 minuets marker but if I run on a trade mill then I can go past 20 minuets.

Can some one explain please.

Because if you are actually running, you have to propel yourself forward. If you are on a treadmill, you just have to keep up with the machine. You can make the treadmill a bit more like real running by increasing the incline, but I’d still rather run outdoors.

You are actually pushing yourself. On the treadmill you are going easy on yourself ~ the treadmill is more useful if you understand how it feels to push yourself. Once you know how it feels then you can push yourself on the treadmill.

You are not aware of yourself yet. Learn. Pay attention ~ and Grow.

The treadmill… it is a machine. It feeds on your weakness. You must abandon the machine.

Embrace the erth. The ground pushes you onward and grows your strength. Become the animal that lies inside of you, sleeping. You need to awaken it. You need to BECOME it. You need to bulk.

Runing on a flat treadmill is similar to running down hill due to the propulsion of the band. put the tread on a 2% or greater incline and you are getting closer to the real deal. also, if you can onl run for 10 mins on the ground before stoping, you are moving too fast. you are probably going beyond your lactate threshold, start slower and build up to that speed.

i think you’re asking the wrong question.

Running is for people who are already fit. Not for people who are trying to get fit.

If you’re overweight it’s going to be hell on your joints.

It’s a terribly inefficient way to burn extra calories.

Try a beginer weight lifting program. you’ll stregthen all your muscles, not just some select few it takes to run. It put you in much better shape.

Since no one gave an answer :expressionless:

Running is a very complicated motion.
Running is more tiring than biking.
Why is that? That is because it uses many more muscles. The more muscle you use, the more calories you burn and the more oxygen you need to supply the demand from the muscles.
Running isnt “harder” because its a high impact exercise but because of the muscle useage.

The primary muscles are the hamstrings, gluts and calves. The upper body is used to counter the rotational force produced by the legs and this allows you to go into a straight line.
The gluts are the biggest muscle of your body. Your hamstrings are huge as well.
They help in bringing the leg back and pushing you forward.

Now, if we look at the structure of a treadmill, its basically looped rubber that moves.
If you were to place an eraser on the belt and start it, the eraser would move towards the back.
So if you put your foot down and turn on the treadmill, your foot is being brought back.
Because the treadmill does this, your muscles will work alot less. You don’t have to push your foot back and your body forward with as much energy since the treadmill helps bring the foot back.

Since the muscles work less, less calories are needed and less oxygen is needed as well.
That means that your perceived effort is much less than if you had to actually propel your body forward instead of having the treadmill do most of the work for you.

To sum it up:
You push yourself forward to run.
If the treadmill brings your foot back, then you aren’t really pushing yourself forward, you’re just staying in one spot with minimum effort.

I hope that answers your question.

edit: LiamBrady is talking out of his ass.
Your body was built to run. It’s why we have a neck thats disconnected from our shoulders, why we have huge knee and hip joints, why we have such a huge ass.
Running barefoot is a remedy to knee pain.
Running shoes are actually incorrectly built.
The are more designed for walking.
They place a wrong emphasis on the heel.
You are supposed to land with the ball of your foot. A high arch shoe such as the common running shoe will force you to land on the heel which is direct shock on the knee.
Whereas landing on the ball of your foot will mean you have to have your ankle bent and knee bent as well, thus reducing the shock.
If you’d like more info on proper running technique, feel free to pm me.
If you run right, no matter your fitness level or weight, you ll be fine. It’s all about technique. Just like squatting or deadlifting.
I’ve ran barefoot for miles and miles and have never had any knee pain at all. Ever.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Since no one gave an answer :expressionless:

Running is a very complicated motion.
Running is more tiring than biking.
Why is that? That is because it uses many more muscles. The more muscle you use, the more calories you burn and the more oxygen you need to supply the demand from the muscles.
Running isnt “harder” because its a high impact exercise but because of the muscle useage.

The primary muscles are the hamstrings, gluts and calves. The upper body is used to counter the rotational force produced by the legs and this allows you to go into a straight line.
The gluts are the biggest muscle of your body. Your hamstrings are huge as well.
They help in bringing the leg back and pushing you forward.

Now, if we look at the structure of a treadmill, its basically looped rubber that moves.
If you were to place an eraser on the belt and start it, the eraser would move towards the back.
So if you put your foot down and turn on the treadmill, your foot is being brought back.
Because the treadmill does this, your muscles will work alot less. You don’t have to push your foot back and your body forward with as much energy since the treadmill helps bring the foot back.

Since the muscles work less, less calories are needed and less oxygen is needed as well.
That means that your perceived effort is much less than if you had to actually propel your body forward instead of having the treadmill do most of the work for you.

To sum it up:
You push yourself forward to run.
If the treadmill brings your foot back, then you aren’t really pushing yourself forward, you’re just staying in one spot with minimum effort.

I hope that answers your question.

edit: LiamBrady is talking out of his ass.
Your body was built to run. It’s why we have a neck thats disconnected from our shoulders, why we have huge knee and hip joints, why we have such a huge ass.
Running barefoot is a remedy to knee pain.
Running shoes are actually incorrectly built.
The are more designed for walking.
They place a wrong emphasis on the heel.
You are supposed to land with the ball of your foot. A high arch shoe such as the common running shoe will force you to land on the heel which is direct shock on the knee.
Whereas landing on the ball of your foot will mean you have to have your ankle bent and knee bent as well, thus reducing the shock.
If you’d like more info on proper running technique, feel free to pm me.
If you run right, no matter your fitness level or weight, you ll be fine. It’s all about technique. Just like squatting or deadlifting.
I’ve ran barefoot for miles and miles and have never had any knee pain at all. Ever.[/quote]

claiming that person is built to run is subjective. i cant say that you are wrong because we do run and we are good at it. however, the most efficient, speed wise, runners on this planet are four legged animals.

but back to the op… its probably because on a treadmill, the pace is the same through out the entire run… running outside, you might be changing your pace, uphill, downhill… the more your muscles have to adapt and think, the more energy you will exert… hence running outside is superior to running on a treadmill. its more challenging, and the fresh air and changing scenery is cool.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
claiming that person is built to run is subjective. i cant say that you are wrong because we do run and we are good at it. however, the most efficient, speed wise, runners on this planet are four legged animals.

but back to the op… its probably because on a treadmill, the pace is the same through out the entire run… running outside, you might be changing your pace, uphill, downhill… the more your muscles have to adapt and think, the more energy you will exert… hence running outside is superior to running on a treadmill. its more challenging, and the fresh air and changing scenery is cool.
[/quote]

Oh God.
We are enduranec runners. We can out run wolves, horses and cheetahs.
People have done it. Just because your average shmuck spends his life sitting down and cant run for shit doesn’t mean anything.
We are built to run.

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/11.18/01-running.html

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ferrisdp/Farley&Ferris,1998.pdf

It has been scientifically proven that we evolved by running.
We are the ultimate endurance runner. Now if joe decides to spend his life sitting on his ass and weighing 400 pounds, well thats not my problem.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

but back to the op… its probably because on a treadmill, the pace is the same through out the entire run… running outside, you might be changing your pace, uphill, downhill… the more your muscles have to adapt and think, the more energy you will exert… hence running outside is superior to running on a treadmill. its more challenging, and the fresh air and changing scenery is cool.
[/quote]

This is the answer.

The idea that the treadmill is doing all the work is just asinine. The treadmill is not pushing your leg back its pushing your whole body back. Your legs are keeping you on the thing.

the main problem is that the temp out side is 125+ in the day and 110 at night. so running outdoors is not easy.

[quote]nobody wrote:
the main problem is that the temp out side is 125+ in the day and 110 at night. so running outdoors is not easy.[/quote]

I have the same problem its just too hot, I mean when you can walk outside barefoot at night and burn your feet still its pretty bad.

you have access to a treadmill ya.
run on an incline with the treadmill.its not the same but it helps.
then come winter time when you can run outdoors you can do that.

[quote]nobody wrote:
the main problem is that the temp out side is 125+ in the day and 110 at night. so running outdoors is not easy.[/quote]

unfortunate… do you live near or close to arizona or nevada? treadmill isnt terrible. circuit training is better for your cardio anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]nobody wrote:
the main problem is that the temp out side is 125+ in the day and 110 at night. so running outdoors is not easy.[/quote]

Sounds like if you want to run, treadmill is the answer. Give it a little bit of an incline.

Good on ya for not using the heat as an excuse. As long as you are trying to find ways TO train instead of trying to find ways OUT of it, you’ll do fine.