1X2 75
1X5 90

[STANDING PRESS]
2X45
1X45
1X3 55
1X2 65
3X5 80

ok this is how I ran my first ss the sticky says add weight until the bar slows down these were my previous determined max weights so I figured I didn't have to add weight to the bar to get the right weight was I right in doing so?

also the stickys says next workout add 5-10 lbs to the lifts some lifts fine I probably could get to the low 100s with 3x5 sets, it also says start with a weight were you will hit your max in 3-4 weeks so I would actually drop my max weight a pu-s-* foot around with weaker weight than I lift but I also know if I don't I will stall rather quickly I wont be pressing 130 for a while so wtf how should I go about reducing weight and what not?

and the sets you see until I get to the 3x5 main lifts I used Rippetoes ss calculator to calculate the warm up sets were did I go wrong? was I just supposed to warm up on treadmill and just d0 3x5 with my 5rm weight?

any suggestions

“add weight until the bar slows down” - this should end up as a SUBMAXIMAL weight (since your max weight should obviously be harder than squatting the bar). so you pick the weights, do two to three warm up sets before yu get to it (just pick a weight that is ridiculously easy and do five reps, rest a little, do it with heavier weight two more times until you get to your working weight. The idea is to wake up the muscles and neural pathways.

let’s say you have a “fast” squat weight of 60. You would do five reps with 45, five with 55 and then do three sets of five with sixty (pick the warm up weights by feel. It’s not important to get percentages right or anything, just go heavier with each set).

The next training session, you’ll add five or ten pounds depending on how easy the last session felt. The idea is to learn to use heaver weights. A beginner will dramatically increase strength because he will get better at the movement - he doesn’t even have to grow more muscle for it because initially he will SUCK at it so the only way is up.

PS your standing press is WEAKER than your squat? Your form sucks. Nobody has weaker legs than shoulders, not even elite gymnasts.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

PS your standing press is WEAKER than your squat? Your form sucks. Nobody has weaker legs than shoulders, not even elite gymnasts.[/quote]
^This. Unless you walk around on your hands, something is wrong here. My guess is that you need to grow some balls and squat heavy weights.

[quote]Silyak wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

PS your standing press is WEAKER than your squat? Your form sucks. Nobody has weaker legs than shoulders, not even elite gymnasts.[/quote]
^This. Unless you walk around on your hands, something is wrong here. My guess is that you need to grow some balls and squat heavy weights.[/quote]

Lol.

But for the purposes of Starting Strength, if I remember correctly, squat and deadlift gets 10lbs per session, OHP and Bench get 5 per session. So within a couple weeks, the squats are going to end up higher than the press.

In my opinion, where you start with Starting Strength isn’t that much of an issue, as long as you don’t start too high. Your first couple weeks should feel relatively easy for you, and you should use this time to work on good form. By the time it starts feeling heavy, your form should be a lot better than it is today.

You can add as much as 20 lbs to the deadlift. And the squat. I actually made bigger increases after 4 or 5 sessions because my form was getting so much better I was actually using my strength efficiently. Don’t overthink it. Just add some weight to the bar, and keep going up. Take your time with the warm ups, especially on your squat because you really need to work on getting the movement down as has already been said.