T Nation

Help Me!! Program?

hello everybody,

I’ve been reading so many post and websites the past week that all i can see when I close my eyes are weights and workout plans that I can’t choose.

I need help to choose a workout plan:

Iam 20 yrs, 6’-6’1, and 195 pounds. Iam trying to loose body fat and gain lean muscle. I DON’T want to get right now but I want to get lean and into shape (get cut i guess)

help me choose a program:

1. HIIT program with 3-day full body workout

2. 10 x 3 For Fat Loss by Chad Waterbury, with cardio (which is included in his program)

3. Do the Total body traning (TBT) with cardio - HIIT

4. Or any other program which is better for me.

Help me

Thaks
divesfortuno

[quote]divesfortuno wrote:
I DON’T want to get right now but I want to get lean and into shape (get cut i guess)[/quote]

You don’t want to get what? You’re missing a kinda-crucial word in there. I’m guessing you don’t want to get huge, or something??

[quote]help me choose a program:

1. HIIT program with 3-day full body workout

2. 10 x 3 For Fat Loss by Chad Waterbury, with cardio (which is included in his program)

3. Do the Total body traning (TBT) with cardio - HIIT

4. Or any other program which is better for me.
    [/quote]

I’ll vote for Total Body Training, since it sounds like you’re a beginner, and the others might be a little too specialized to start off with. Do the full 8 weeks of the program as outlined, plus 2 days a week of HIIT, like CW recommended in his posts after the article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-073-training

Sorry…LOL worte at 2 a.m

I DON’T want to bulk up right now, I just want to loose fat and obtain lean muscle

Thanks Colucci…

I downloaded the workout sheet for CW TBT and I will do HIIT for cardio.

Ok another question: do I do cardio (slow running) before or after the workout

And when can I play basketball, before or after the workout or on off day.

Thanks
divefortuno

Sorry…LOL worte at 2 a.m

I DON’T want to bulk up right now, I just want to loose fat and obtain lean muscle

Thanks Colucci…

I downloaded the workout sheet for CW TBT and I will do HIIT for cardio.

Ok another question: do I do cardio (slow running) before or after the workout

And when can I play basketball, before or after the workout or on off day.

Thanks
divefortuno[/quote]

Personally I think at 6’1" 195 is way light.

But as for cardio, do it after weights. Cardio before weights will decrease your lifting intensity.

Thanks jbodzin…
Ok…then I will do cardio or play basketball after the workout.

Well 195 pounds for 6’1 is kinda light but here is my plan:
loose most of the body fat
get my muscles defined (arms and abs espcially)
Then slowly bulk up to gain muscle and keep the fat gain on the minimal.
Hopefully this is not just a dream plan…and yeah I know its going to take a lot of work and 1-2 years of time.
But hey sculping a great body takes time and hard work

I have another question…LOL (too many damn questions)

Is it ok to do HIIT program early morning on an empty stomach?

If its not what should I eat before doing cardio and how much before should I eat?

Thanks
divesfortuno

yeah Ok…then I will do cardio or play basketball after the workout.

I have another question…LOL (too many damn question)

If its not what should I eat before doing cardio and how much before should I eat?

Thanks
divesfortuno[/quote]

Its fine,but I thik your going to find doing HIIT and basketball is going to be too much. You better get a solid nutrition plan together or your going to eat all your muscle gains trying to support an elevated metabolisim.

[/quote]

NO!!! HIIT on an empty stomac is a sure fire way to eat up muscle mass. Its high intensity have something to eat.

Also if you are just a beginner starting this cardio lifting etc for the first time the TBT, + HIIT etc is a LOT to try and grasp. Get the TBT under way adjust to it, use low intensity cardio and your BBall. Then slowly add things as your work capacity goes up.

Oh and 1-2 years to first cut from nothing at 6’1" to less than nothing. Then build like you said it tales time and your takling a few steps backward from the start Id prob Up thatb time a bit get commited for the long haul. Its a Lifestyle man.

Phil,

Is is HIIT on an empty stomach ok for the more experienced lifter? 15-18% Bf?

Thanks for the advice
I would like it to eat away my muscle…LOL
yeah…then I will def eat something before the HIIT program.

Well thats my plan cause right now I have like 16-18% body fat and Iam trying to get it down to maybe 7-9% and start the real bulking program.

Maybe its taking a few steps back but I think (maybe) its a good idea.

Thanks
divesfortuno

Why diet down? Your just going to waste time.

Just increase your lifting intensity and eat clean.

alright guys here is my plan…

Monday…Wednesday…Friday…

Chad Waterbury’s Total-Body Training (TBT)

Tuesday…Thursday…Saturday…

HIIT cardio programs in the mornings and maybe basketball in the evenings
Also Ab workout

Here is my Nutrition Plan…

Breakfast:
Egg Beaters and/or Oatmeal mixed with whey protein (preferably caesin since its slow absorbing) and/or skim milk

Pre workout (3-4 hours after breakfast):
Some type of lean meat i.e. chicken w/ carbs and a salad.

Pre workout Drink (30 mins before workout)
100% Whey protein shake (48 grams of protein)

Immediately post workout:

Post workout Meal (1 hour to 1.5 hours after workout)
Same as pre workout but more lean protein, some low GI carbs like pasta or brown rice

Dinner (3-4 hours after postworkout meal)
Brown rice…some lean protein (little chicken) and veggies (but a light dinner not too heavy)

Same for all the days except a little shake on Tues…Thur…Sat before the HIIT Program

And lots and lots of water through out the day

So here is my full Plan and Please tell me if I need any changes

Thanks everybody

divesfortuno

Just a note, you should try and eat at least every 2 hrs.

OP, stop for a second and think about what you want your body to look like. Not just your arms and abs, but the total picture. Got that mental image? Good, now look at this thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1281639

That kid lists his height as 6’1" (same as you) and his weight as 190 (only 5 lbs lighter than you). He doesn’t list bodyfat, but I’m guessing it’s lower than your 16-18% but not as low as you’d like to get (7-9%). Regardless, is that what you want to look like? Does that match the mental image you came up with? If so, good luck, but you’re on the wrong website buddy. If not, you might want to reconsider how you’re going about this whole training thing.

You’re 20 years old, you’re at your prime for building muscle right now. I’m guessing you’re in college and have access to a gym and a cafeteria with arse-loads of food. I really have to strongly urge you to take some time to put on some solid mass before trying to cut down and see those arms and abs.

It’s October right now. If you’re in the northern hemisphere that means it’s fall coming on winter, not exactly the season for abs now is it? Why not use the next few months, say til February or March, pack on a few pounds of muscle, then cut down for spring break or summer. If you’re dead set on seeing that six pack, by all means, good luck, your diet and exercise program looked pretty good. But just don’t expect to look shredded at 7-9% bodyfat without much muscle mass.

Lastly, if you’re 18% right now at 195 that means at 7% you’ll be a whopping 171 pounds.

Anyway, good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

Jay

thanks…

I will try to eat every two hours (not all the time cause i have classes).

Iam not as skiny as the other guy (the link you posted)

Maybe your right…and how should I change this to gain weight with this program…I mean iam not looking for six pack abs right now. I thought it would be easy to cut the fat first and then put on muscle during the bulking stage. but if you say bulking first and then cutting is easy…man iam confused.

So what might you call this program i prepared – bulking or cutting program.

Thanks
divesfortuno

thanks…

I will try to eat every two hours (not all the time cause i have classes).

Iam not as sking as the other guy (the link you posted)

Maybe your right…and how should I change this to gain weight with this program…I mean iam not looking for six pack abs right now. I thought it would be easy to cut the fat first and then put on muscle during the bulking stage. but if you say bulking first and then cutting is easy…man iam confused.

So what might you call this program i prepared – bulking or cutting program.

Thanks
divesfortuno[/quote]

I know it sounds confusing but it really is quite simple. So simple in fact that its confusing!

Read the following:

7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

Also read every article by John M. Berardi

good luck

So, jbodzin:

If I eat every two hrs, do this program, I should be able to bulk up and keep my fat at the minimal right?

Cause I heard TBT is very good a beginner. after 8 weeks of TBT I should gain strength and muscle to start really bulking right?

Man, i read the article and I am going to incorporate the stuff into my plan.

Thanks
divesfortuno

Isn’t the 48 grams of protein in the pre and post workout shake a bit high? Based on what I have read I thought that 20 grams would do it. And there should be a mix of simple carbs to protein of 3 or 4 to 1. Correct?

alright guys here is my plan…

Monday…Wednesday…Friday…

Chad Waterbury’s Total-Body Training (TBT)

Tuesday…Thursday…Saturday…

HIIT cardio programs in the mornings and maybe basketball in the evenings
Also Ab workout

Here is my Nutrition Plan…

Breakfast:
Egg Beaters and/or Oatmeal mixed with whey protein (preferably caesin since its slow absorbing) and/or skim milk

Pre workout (3-4 hours after breakfast):
Some type of lean meat i.e. chicken w/ carbs and a salad.

Pre workout Drink (30 mins before workout)

Immediately post workout:

Post workout Meal (1 hour to 1.5 hours after workout)
Same as pre workout but more lean protein, some low GI carbs like pasta or brown rice

Dinner (3-4 hours after postworkout meal)
Brown rice…some lean protein (little chicken) and veggies (but a light dinner not too heavy)

Same for all the days except a little shake on Tues…Thur…Sat before the HIIT Program

And lots and lots of water through out the day

So here is my full Plan and Please tell me if I need any changes

Thanks everybody

divesfortuno[/quote]

Looks good to me for now, just make sure you keep progressing in strength. If/when you plateau down the road, back off on the H.I.I.T and keep working on gaining strength.

yeah thats what I was thinking 48 grams before and after that makes it 96 grams!!! of protein maybe in like 3 hrs of time.

what I might do is I might spread out the intake of protein through out the day. So i get the required amount of protein but on more wider scale of the day.

Cool I will follow this program and will definitely keep posting my progress.

Thanks everybody, finally iam ready to bust my ass…LOL

divesfortuno

divesfortuno,

Here’s how I look at it: Because you’re a newbie to the weights, losing fat initially will be relatively easy, simply because you’re throwing something at your system that you’ve never done before. Don’t “cut”, just eat a clean diet, no processed foods, “7 Habits of Highly Successful Diets” and all that. If you get ENOUGH food to make gains in the gym, and the calories are clean calories, you’ll lose fat almost automatically in the beginning. It gets extremely hard to cut fat and gain muscle the more experienced you get, so do things right at the beginning.

All good advice from people posting here. TBT is great for a beginner to weights, as is Big Boy Basics. Either is fine. IMO, 3 HIIT sessions a week is waaay too much. Just one day of totaly rest in a week?? You can only grow what you can recover from. Not recovering = getting yourself in a hole and maybe hurt from overuse/strain. Take 2 whole days off.

I second the thought of doing cardio after weights, and would say if your schedule allows it, try to do HIIT about 4-6 hours after a wieghts workout. You get to rest between, you get to eat, and you get more total days off (maybe up to 3-4 days to rest and grow).

As far as basketball–do it whenever the heck you feel like. It fun, it’s exercise, you can’t go wrong. It feels like a break from HIIT. Just don’t skip workouts because you’re “too tired”.

Diet–ok, but I see the 48g whey before the workout and I think “blech!” Easy thing here–go to Dillons and get some simple table sugar. It’s cheap and you can get a lot. Now make up a simple shake, .5 scoop whey, about 20g sugar, mix, and sip while training. After training, take .5-1 scoop whey with 30-40g sugar as PWO shake.

Oh yeah, don’t go 4 hours without food unless you’re on a date (that’d be rude and tacky :)). 3 hours is the outside limit, unless you just ate an extra large pizza by yourself. Class is no excuse. Pack some walnuts, peanuts, pecans, or trail mix to snack on at class. Put it in your backpack. Problem solved.

More fruit too, that’ll help. Semi-sweet + vitamins + fiber = killer food.

My 2 cents.

PS–you can always tweak things. The important thing is to do something, consistently, and then add in things or change as you get less confused. Do something instead of nothing.