T Nation

Help Me, Help A Friend

A friend (female) asked for my help to lose a bit of weight and tone up a bit. I’m not to sure how to go about this. I was thinking squats, lunges and crunches with of course cardio. Also what kind of rep range should she be using? Also what do you guys think about doing some bodyweight exercises, like dips (on the floor) and so on.

Thanks for any help

[quote]Emre wrote:
A friend (female) asked for my help to lose a bit of weight and tone up a bit. I’m not to sure how to go about this. I was thinking squats, lunges and crunches with of course cardio. Also what kind of rep range should she be using? Also what do you guys think about doing some bodyweight exercises, like dips (on the floor) and so on.

Thanks for any help[/quote]

Same thing you’d suggest to a male beginner except that the weights will probably be lighter - women tend to be weaker through the upper body, but can be surprisingly strong in the legs and midsection. At the very beginning, the weights should be light enough that she can concentrate on form.

On that note - when you’re showing her squats, have her experiment w/ different stances. I find a wider, turned out stance more comfortable and easier than toes pointed forward shoulder width and I suspect other women do too. Also pay attention to knee mechanics - women are rather more prone to injuries there, so it’s good to make sure she’s not twisting or wobbling her knees.

Body weight exercises are great. Everyone laughs at girl/knee pushups, but if she’s not strong enough to do them regular style it’ll help her get strong enough.

Is she just starting out? try going to eclipsegym.com… they have a detailed women’s training program

[quote]Emre wrote:
A friend (female) asked for my help to lose a bit of weight and tone up a bit. I’m not to sure how to go about this.[/quote]
Don’t you work out? If you do, you know generally how to.[quote]
I was thinking squats, lunges and crunches with of course cardio.[/quote]
You are thinking correctly

[quote]
Also what kind of rep range should she be using?[/quote]
All. Progress with them. [quote]
Also what do you guys think about doing some bodyweight exercises, like dips (on the floor) and so on.[/quote]They are fine. The body doesn’t know the difference between resistance provided with body weight or with an external resistance.

[quote]Konstantine wrote:
Is she just starting out? try going to eclipsegym.com… they have a detailed women’s training program[/quote]

I checked this out. Most of it seemed to be good advice, but I did wonder about the tip to hold one’s breath during each rep. The example they gave was to take a breath, hold it, squat down and back up and then exhale and inhale before repeating. Do you all hold your breath during a rep? I don’t.
I also wasn’t sure about the injunction not to do forced reps, and a couple of other minor things.

Anyway, if your friend really wants information targeted specifically to women, you/she may want to look at Mistress Krista’s website.
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
Not that everything there is gospel either, but she’s a very good source of information.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Get her doing the basics ie; squat, deadlift and bench (I’ld throw in standing mil press too) for a few months to build a good foundation to build on. Then ask her about her goals again to set a program out.
Personally wouldnt advise above 8 reps (I would say 4 - 6) a set as she should be trying to build a strong base for any further training.

[quote]Brawan wrote:
Get her doing the basics ie; squat, deadlift and bench (I’ld throw in standing mil press too) for a few months to build a good foundation to build on. Then ask her about her goals again to set a program out.
Personally wouldnt advise above 8 reps (I would say 4 - 6) a set as she should be trying to build a strong base for any further training.[/quote]

I agree. Id make her do higher reps to get muscle memory of the exercise before adding on weight though (and because she is a woman: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459296
)
Id make her learn hang cleans-to-front squats. That really is a great exercise and I dont feel insecure when doing it in front of people. With me, Im so tall that when I do a clean I feel really insecure because so much can go wrong with it but this is really a great exercise.