Help Me Grow Bigger!

[quote]Liv92 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Liv92 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Liv92 wrote:
Sosruko’s was kind of what I was looking for. Except his has too much protein powder. I’d prefer something with real foods. If someones around my weight can you show me what you eat? [/quote]

LOL.

When I was your weight, I ate like someone trying to be my current weight. You weigh 170lbs. How hard is it to just eat food? How is this complicated? In fact, if it is complicated at all, you are doing it wrong.

You want to grow bigger. That means eating more than you are now to gain weight. Why do you need someone to pick the specific foods for you as if there is only one way to eat?[/quote]

Your right. I always try to over complicate things. I don’t know I thought I should have been eating specific things every 2-3 hours.

I will just try to eat clean foods but as much as I can. I really want to get bigger that’s why I try to over complicate things because I want to do it “right.” I’m really going to do what you did. Just eat to be your weight, not worry about getting fat, because I bust my ass in the gym everyday, and if I do gain some fat so be it. Thanks ProfX sometimes I just need a slap in the face. :P[/quote]

Wait a second, the GOAL is as much muscle as possible. That does NOT mean completely ignore how much body fat is being gained. If you are eating too much crap and just gaining body fat in excess then you cut back a little on the carbs until that is under control.

This is about trial and error, not “doing everything right” from day one. If you are too scared to fuck up at all, you will NOT get big.[/quote]

No I understand that, it’s why I said clean food. I didn’t say I wanted to get fat, but if I added a little bit of body fat it would be understandable right? I’ll defiantly be watching my carbs in the evening. [/quote]

To tell the truth, I wrote that for the several idiots who will claim I am simply telling newbs to become obese. I get hit with that at least once a month.

If you understand the concept, you just need to make it happen. That means NOT lifting like the other average people in the gym… like “training” for an hour but never breaking a sweat.

Alrite, thanks Professor. I will def kill today’s shoulders/arms work out.

There is a huge margin of error when it comes to gaining weight. Just for the record, and to clarify some of the misconceptions that Prof X has been accused of, I want to point out that you DO NOT HAVE TO GET OBESE to gain muscle and he has never said that. I’m not anywhere as big as X, but I do have success with gaining muscle and I have a different perspective, so I thought I’d share my thoughts and experiences as I’m a lot closer to your weight (I’m about 200 @ 15%).

By simply eating clean and with consistent and heavy lifting, I have been able to increase muscle and simultaneously lose fat (I’ve gained about 6 pounds of muscle in the last month and a half all while in an pretty significant calorie deficit**). I’m not trying to over-complicate this even further by saying that you should not eat an excess of calories. I’m just saying that if consistency with diet and training are there and you bust your ass day in day out, you WILL get results. DO NOT OVER COMPLICATE THINGS. Just lift and eat as consistently as possible and focus your attention on the big picture rather than the small picture.

I mean you need to be able to ballpark your calories, but don’t worry about exact #s of grams of this or that, or things like is 6 meals a day better than 4, or is turkey better than salmon. Just do what you can stick with and stick with what works for you.

**Lifting 2X daily heavy and hard, eating very clean and low cal, and using the Anaconda Protocol with 1 FINiBAR b4 each session.

Like he ^^^ said, you don’t have to get obese to get strong. I’ve managed to add 40 lbs to my bench, 80 lbs to my squat, and around 100 lbs to my deadlift so far, all without gaining weight.

It just comes down to eating a shitload of quality protein, keeping carbs under control, adjusting diet as necessary, and lifting with 110% intensity every session.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
**Lifting 2X daily heavy and hard, eating very clean and low cal, and using the Anaconda Protocol with 1 FINiBAR b4 each session. [/quote]

I know this is the nutrition section, but… why would you recommend lifting 2x daily?

I lift 5x a week, I enjoy it, it’s addictive, but I already feel like I’m pushing it for volume. Why would you recommend 5(2x a day)? Or you mean like, lift twice a week, two times a day? Or like, one body part per session? Just asking for clarification.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Like he ^^^ said, you don’t have to get obese to get strong. I’ve managed to add 40 lbs to my bench, 80 lbs to my squat, and around 100 lbs to my deadlift so far, all without gaining weight.

It just comes down to eating a shitload of quality protein, keeping carbs under control, adjusting diet as necessary, and lifting with 110% intensity every session. [/quote]

Hold up, first this is related to bodybuilding…as in the goal is not to maintain the same weight unless you are losing a shit load of fat while doing so. In fact, his fucking thread is entitled HELP ME GET BIGGER. How does your post help that?

Are you losing body fat?

Are you gaining muscle?

What are your goals and why do you think they match the OPs?

No one has ever written that someone needs to become obese so the fact that two posters have arisen to debunk this is strange since no one has made that claim.

Yes X, I’m gaining muscle and losing fat while maintaining weight. (Can’t even tell you how many people keep telling me it’s impossible, that I’m making up stats, blah blah blah)

The point I was making is that if I can get bigger and stronger WHILE losing fat, without gaining weight, surely he can get stronger while simply keeping bf% in check. I realize the way I’m doing things isn’t the fastest possible way to get bigger and stronger, it’s this whole Marine Corps thing…but you know how that is. Don’t want to get much over 200, makes running a bitch on the joints.

Hell, just earlier today I was reading a thread where some guy bulked up and failed just about as badly as artem, somehow under the impression that was the right way to do it, claiming he got that “inspiration” from T-Nation. Whether or not that claim has been specifically made HERE, for some reason or another, once in a while someone gets that strange idea in their head of “bulking at all costs”. Therefore, I think it should be addressed when it seems relevant, like when someone makes a general claim of wanting to get “bigger”. Just trying to prevent another train wreck before it potentially happens.

Yes X, I’m gaining muscle and losing fat while maintaining weight. (Can’t even tell you how many people keep telling me it’s impossible, that I’m making up stats, blah blah blah)

The point I was making is that if I can get bigger and stronger WHILE losing fat, without gaining weight, surely he can get stronger while simply keeping bf% in check. I realize the way I’m doing things isn’t the fastest possible way to get bigger and stronger, it’s this whole Marine Corps thing…but you know how that is. Don’t want to get much over 200, makes running a bitch on the joints.

Hell, just earlier today I was reading a thread where some guy bulked up and failed just about as badly as artem, somehow under the impression that was the right way to do it, claiming he got that “inspiration” from T-Nation. Whether or not that claim has been specifically made HERE, for some reason or another, once in a while someone gets that strange idea in their head of “bulking at all costs”. Therefore, I think it should be addressed when it seems relevant, like when someone makes a general claim of wanting to get “bigger”. Just trying to prevent another train wreck before it potentially happens. [/quote]

Yes, it is slower to do it that way…which is a REALLY BIG FUCKING ISSUE unless you don’t have very large goals at all.

If your goal is to simply “gain a little muscle”, approaching like that makes no difference. It would be dumb for someone with goals more than that to approach training that way.

You are in The Marines. That is like me leaving out that my progress took about a two year detour because of the military. You are limited by your responsibilities…yet recommending someone do the same who does NOT have that responsibility and whose entire goal appears to be to make the most progress, not the least.

Why does this have anything at all to do with believing you can’t lose fat while gaining muscle?

So, tonight, I’m in the locker room and this 18 year old kid is talking to me. I and another guy had just did bench/chest and this kid worked in with us. He usually does. He’s a nice kid, looks kind of muscular/lean and could be strong if he wasn’t such a spaz-- god awful benching.

Anyway, he was telling me how we were benching the same weights earlier last year (like spring/summer 09 when I just started benching again after many years). I’m now about 80 pounds past his real bench, and he doesn’t understand why.

I asked “what do you eat?” – He said, well, I had a piece of toast for breakfast and some orange juice, and some (crap sandwich) for lunch, and I didn’t eat dinner, but I had some (caffeine supplement).

I asked is that typical? “yeah”.

He said “you’ve gotten big what do YOU eat” – I said “well FIRST breakfast, 10 eggs, etc, etc”. And I don’t mind a little extra fat. I’m going for broke (and big) the next few years. I’ve put the breaks on here and there, but I seem to ‘grow into my fat’.

So, here’s a kid who’s got a pretty good physique IN SPITE of his shitty diet because he’s 18 and full of natural test and he lifts regularly (although spastic). He could be big if he just STARTED EATING!!!

Man, if I could be 18 again… fuck, man… if you guys want to get big, start eating some goddammed EGGS AND MEAT!! Really, HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO READ IT???

X, I never recommended he do what I am doing currently (not to mention it’s only until my enlistment is up, at which point bulk time is ON).

I was making the point that as long as he keeps his diet somewhat decent and intelligent, while working hard, then getting big without getting fat is very possible.

[quote]
Why does this have anything at all to do with believing you can’t lose fat while gaining muscle? [/quote]

Because if this is possible, then there is ABSOLUTELY no good excuse for getting disgustingly fat claiming it is “bulking”. It’s a matter of degrees.

X, I never recommended he do what I am doing currently (not to mention it’s only until my enlistment is up, at which point bulk time is ON).

I was making the point that as long as he keeps his diet somewhat decent and intelligent, while working hard, then getting big without getting fat is very possible.

[quote]
Why does this have anything at all to do with believing you can’t lose fat while gaining muscle? [/quote]

Because if this is possible, then there is ABSOLUTELY no good excuse for getting disgustingly fat claiming it is “bulking”. It’s a matter of degrees. [/quote]

Once again…WHO IN THIS THREAD SAID ANYTHING about needing to get “disgustingly fat” to make progress?

To go from that to recommending someone should try to maintain their weight as they gain makes no sense.

I wouldn’t recommend that to ANYONE unless they were already near their peak or were holding their body weight so that their body could accept a higher weight set point. There is no way some beginner should be told to approach things the same way unless they want to make little to no progress over years.

I held near the same weight for the past year and lost body fat, but it was VERY SLOW progress and not something I would have had the spare time to WASTE doing as a beginner or intermediate simply because it takes YEARS to build enough size to warrant it.

Do you understand how the way you presented yourself earlier could confuse the hell out of some newb?

You are maintaining your body weight for a specific purpose…one you failed to mention as you rambled off your experience to someone trying to make a lot of progress with less experience.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

**Lifting 2X daily heavy and hard, eating very clean and low cal, and using the Anaconda Protocol with 1 FINiBAR b4 each session. [/quote]

I know this is the nutrition section, but… why would you recommend lifting 2x daily?

I lift 5x a week, I enjoy it, it’s addictive, but I already feel like I’m pushing it for volume. Why would you recommend 5(2x a day)? Or you mean like, lift twice a week, two times a day? Or like, one body part per session? Just asking for clarification.[/quote]

When lifting 2x most pros I think or in general instead of lets say doing Chest/tricep in one workout do chest in the morning then tricep at night, Back/Bicep, back in the morning bicep at night.

If a person is doing Legs morning then like Back at night that probably isn’t the best way to do it lol but im sure some people will prove me wrong haha

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

I lift 5x a week, I enjoy it, it’s addictive, but I already feel like I’m pushing it for volume. Why would you recommend 5(2x a day)? Or you mean like, lift twice a week, two times a day? Or like, one body part per session? Just asking for clarification.[/quote]

When lifting 2x most pros I think or in general instead of lets say doing Chest/tricep in one workout do chest in the morning then tricep at night, Back/Bicep, back in the morning bicep at night.

If a person is doing Legs morning then like Back at night that probably isn’t the best way to do it lol but im sure some people will prove me wrong haha[/quote]

Why would someone recommend that a newb train 2 times a day without the nutritional support to carry that out? Why would someone recommend that to anyone BUT some advanced trainers who understand exactly how much intensity they put into a workout?

Nobody said to get disgustingly fat, and the OP seems to have made it evident he doesn’t want to be. Nevertheless, sometimes it happens. Some people somehow get this mindset of “I’m not getting anywhere like this”, so they go to the polar opposite, getting fat as fuck, thinking it’s the only way. It’s not as if we’ve never seen this happen cough, artem, cough.

But yes, I do realize how my first post mentioning my method and reasoning could be misinterpretted now that you mention it. I’m man enough to admit that.

Keep it fucking simple.

Eating:

Eat similar things every day, so you can easily add more units of a given food when necessary.
This way you can guarantee that your eating is progressing.

Lifting:

Use the same 2-3 movements per muscle group, every time you train it.
This way you can keep track of rep/ weight improvements.
This will guarantee that your lifting is progressing.

Clean foods:
Make it a point to eat a couple of meals a week which you consider ‘dirty’.
You will need to get over fat phobia if you want to make visible progress.
When eating ‘dirty’ get plenty of protein in your meal.
Personally if I Squat or Deadlift I get 3 BK Double cheeseburgers after.
That’s 1380 Calories (including 90 grams of protein) for $3.27.

[quote]Liv92 wrote:

Can someone give me a sample meal plan with easy foods that I can follow? As I get used to eating 6 times a day and more food I’ll become more experienced and I’ll know what to do. I just need that first push…

Edit: Btw I’m carb sensitive so if I eat a shit load of carbs I just get fat. So keep that in mind if trying to help me out. This is why it makes it harder for me too. [/quote]

As an example here’s how I eat at 240lbs:

7am 16 oz milk , 2 scoops of whey, peanut butter
9:30am: greek yogurt, 2 eggs with ham and cheese, 16oz milk
noon: 8 oz of beef or chicken + potatoes or rice
WORKOUT
2pm: 16 oz of OJ, 2 scoops of whey
3pm: Grilled chicken sandwich, or cheesburger
5pm: 4-8 hard boiled eggs, bag of peanuts
7pm: at least 12oz of meat, rice or potatoes
10pm: 1-2 cups of greek yogurt or 4-8 hard boiled eggs

I get about 4,000 calories and 300-350 grams of protein. You can easily cut carbs but swapping water for milk or veggies for rice/potatoes in the meals and then add fat to make up for the calorie loss.

Keeping things on a simple basis keeps your consistency up. Consistency is key when it comes to dieting. So far it’s served me well.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

I didn’t mean it as a recommendation. That’s simply how I’m currently training – not how the OP should train. I think it’s an awesome way to train if you do it right, but on the same note, 4-5X a week body part split works very well for most people if you simply eat enough. I’m training for something very specific, so most people should not feel they need to or should train how I mentioned. It was simply listed for reference. sorry if this threw you off OP.

I train 6 days a week. Chest+Back/Legs/Shoulders+Arms/off. Repeat with different exercises and different rep schemes.

The lad asked for people to post their diet.
Out of 38 posts 2 or 3 of them are diets,others is x putting people straight; and the rest is full of people saying “eat loads train hard” were off topic post diets, so he can get some ideas.