T Nation

Help Me Get Out of This Ticket

So I was driving along with traffic(not paying attention to speed). I did not know what the speed limit was but I was driving with a large amount of traffic so I figured I was driving close to the speed limit. All of the sudden a cop pulls in between me and the car behind me and pulls me over.

240$ ticket. I am fucking furious. I am aware that it was my responsibility to check the speed limit (I honestly didn’t see the sign) but I know there must be some clever way to get out of this.

Not Guilty due to temporary insanity? I could say that I was acting under mob mentallity and since everyone was doing something, I thought that it was the right thing to do. I could even have a psychologist that I know sign off that he agrees that this was my state of mind at the time.

I know I should just plead guilty, but I don’t want to just give in. There are some very smart people on this board and I know you must have some ideas that could help.

I am but a poor poor college student and can’t afford this ticket. Help me Obi Wan, you’re my only hope.

You want to try to argue that everyone else was speeding too so you shouldn’t have to pay the ticket?

Not gonna work…

Just pay it and be done with it. Either slow down/be more cautious or get yourself a radar detector.

kill the cop.

Check out one of those Traffic Ticket places. Some of them are former cops. The ones here say they guarantee you win or it’s free. If you win you have to pay but it’s not gonna be the $240, plus no points.

Go to court and fight it. If the cop shows up, you’re probably going to lose though. Try changing the court date because the officer probably schedules all the tickets for the same day of the week so he can be there.

If you change it from what it was originally you will increase your odds of having the court date be a day the officer is not working and just like that you win.

Call the clerks office to reschedule, just make up an excuse why you can’t make the original date.

Good luck

[quote]purdiver wrote:
Go to court and fight it. If the cop shows up, you’re probably going to lose though. Try changing the court date because the officer probably schedules all the tickets for the same day of the week so he can be there.

If you change it from what it was originally you will increase your odds of having the court date be a day the officer is not working and just like that you win.

Call the clerks office to reschedule, just make up an excuse why you can’t make the original date.

Good luck[/quote]

Ooohhh I like this.

I was never a “poor college student,” even though I paid my own way through college and had a very poor family. Why not?

Because I didn’t sit around on my ass goofing off at online message boards. I worked at least 20 hours a week waiting tables, and I was also in the National Guard. Factoring in the GI Bill, I did well enough that I could pay my bills, and even afford a $100 worth of Biotest supplements a month.

Thus, I have no sympathy for you. You are broke because you are making the CHOICE to screw around instead of work. If you have the time to goof off online, then you have the time to WORK.

[quote]Shaved wrote:
I am but a poor poor college student and can’t afford this ticket. Help me Obi Wan, you’re my only hope.[/quote]

You’ll lose. If you are in the US go to the court date. Ask to speak with the procsecutor privately before hand, not in front of the judge. Plead
guilty in exchange for not getting points on your liscence.

Your going to lose anyway. Pleading guilty saves you the points and them the time and effort. I you have a clean record you’ll get this deal in most cases.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I was never a “poor college student,” even though I paid my own way through college and had a very poor family. Why not?

Because I didn’t sit around on my ass goofing off at online message boards. I worked at least 20 hours a week waiting tables, and I was also in the National Guard. Factoring in the GI Bill, I did well enough that I could pay my bills, and even afford a $100 worth of Biotest supplements a month.

Thus, I have no sympathy for you. You are broke because you are making the CHOICE to screw around instead of work. If you have the time to goof off online, then you have the time to WORK.

[/quote]

I do work about 20 hours a week plus tips. I have insurance and rent that all need to be paid. I live paycheck to paycheck and the extra 240$ fine simply doesn’t help.

I think the smart people are just going to tell you to save your integrity.

What state are you in?

[quote]Shaved wrote:
So I was driving along with traffic(not paying attention to speed). I did not know what the speed limit was but I was driving with a large amount of traffic so I figured I was driving close to the speed limit. All of the sudden a cop pulls in between me and the car behind me and pulls me over.

240$ ticket. I am fucking furious. I am aware that it was my responsibility to check the speed limit (I honestly didn’t see the sign) but I know there must be some clever way to get out of this.

Not Guilty due to temporary insanity? I could say that I was acting under mob mentallity and since everyone was doing something, I thought that it was the right thing to do. I could even have a psychologist that I know sign off that he agrees that this was my state of mind at the time.

I know I should just plead guilty, but I don’t want to just give in. There are some very smart people on this board and I know you must have some ideas that could help.

I am but a poor poor college student and can’t afford this ticket. Help me Obi Wan, you’re my only hope.[/quote]

Most universities and colleges offer free (and very-reduced-fee for representation) legal counsel a few times per week. I had to go see them about a traffic incident last year, and they were super avialable. Talk to them, tell them the story, and see if they’ll rep you at traffic court.

Plead not guilty.

Changing the court date is a good idea too! (I have to remember that)

Oregon

Own up…You fucked up, so deal with it.

What about a defensive driving course?

[quote]Shaved wrote:

Not Guilty due to temporary insanity? I could say that I was acting under mob mentallity and since everyone was doing something, I thought that it was the right thing to do. I could even have a psychologist that I know sign off that he agrees that this was my state of mind at the time.
[/quote]

Show up to trafic court in full Klingon regalia, including false dermal ridge and wig. No prosecutor will dare try to argue your state of mind, then or now.

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:
Shaved wrote:

Not Guilty due to temporary insanity? I could say that I was acting under mob mentallity and since everyone was doing something, I thought that it was the right thing to do. I could even have a psychologist that I know sign off that he agrees that this was my state of mind at the time.

Show up to trafic court in full Klingon regalia, including false dermal ridge and wig. No prosecutor will dare try to argue your state of mind, then or now.[/quote]

Ya that’ll help with youre insanity plea.

[quote]hedo wrote:
You’ll lose. If you are in the US go to the court date. Ask to speak with the procsecutor privately before hand, not in front of the judge. Plead
guilty in exchange for not getting points on your liscence.

Your going to lose anyway. Pleading guilty saves you the points and them the time and effort. I you have a clean record you’ll get this deal in most cases. [/quote]

This is the best advice. I have done it a few times myself.

Plead guilty to a lesser offense. Ask him to classify it as a non moving violation. The prosecuter will go along because it saves him work.

You will save money and points on your license.

It will be cheaper than jiring a lawyer.

No matter what you will end up paying. This option will get you ou paying the least amount with the least amount of hassle.

Dress well and be respectful when you go to court/meet with the prosecuter.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I was never a “poor college student,” even though I paid my own way through college and had a very poor family. Why not?

Because I didn’t sit around on my ass goofing off at online message boards. I worked at least 20 hours a week waiting tables, and I was also in the National Guard. Factoring in the GI Bill, I did well enough that I could pay my bills, and even afford a $100 worth of Biotest supplements a month.

Thus, I have no sympathy for you. You are broke because you are making the CHOICE to screw around instead of work. If you have the time to goof off online, then you have the time to WORK.

Shaved wrote:
I am but a poor poor college student and can’t afford this ticket. Help me Obi Wan, you’re my only hope.

[/quote]

Cut the guy some slack. You know how big of a deal the GI Bill is. I work 4 days a week from 2145 to 0400 dealing cards as well as full time as a student. That extra $1100 a month is a BIG deal and I WOULD be a poor college student without it. Not to say that we haven’t earned it, but it does make our lives easier.

So far as the ticket is concerned, driving the speed limit if every one is going considerably faster than you is DANGEROUS. You should be going along with the speed of traffic. I don’t know how to help you, but good luck to you, speeding tickets merely serve to make a city money and to let you know that you are a slave to the state.

Mike

Deferred Judification