Help Me Get Faster

so i want to get faster, haha.

right now, i have a 265 hang clean with almost no drop to catch, and a 315 atg olympic back squat, 265 atg olympic front squat. i am assuming since my clean is so high compared to my squat, that i should probably drop cleans for a while in favor for hammering out more squats. i am thinking this because it appears that my explosive strength is pretty high compared to my overall strength, so i probably need a bigger base of strength to work from to get faster (according to kelly baggett).

here is my dilemma, i really do not know where to go for a squat program. i have tried sheiko in the past (37) and i was awesome, my squat went way up, and i dabbled in smolov for 1 week before i quit, haha. i have alot of time to train right now, but something like smolov wouldn’t be viable because i need to be practicing for sport 3x a week (tu, th, sun) and the soreness never really stops with smolov, unlike sheiko.

so, i am pretty much looking for any suggestions regarding what program to go on for the next 8-12 weeks, i was thinking about sheiko or korte? any opinions or testimonials on what works for increasing speed would be greatly appreciated.

also, has anyone had success with deadlifts carrying over to speed gains?

thanks in advance for any replies.

It has been my experience that deadlifts do contribute to a person’s ability to clean and/or power clean heavier weight. Do they make you faster? I have tested vertical jumps within minutes after a single 90% max effort dl (and failure on a max single) and the result was a higher vertical jump than with no deadlift “warm up”. I have also noted that for me squatting moderately heavy prior to jump was not as productive. So, for me
dl = faster.

Hope that helps you somehow.

Don’t really have a good squat program to post, but keep in mind that tempo can help a lot with reactive strength and speed strength. When you squat and dl, do it explosively but with good form, and that in itself will help.

Cant remember where I read it but an olympic sprinter used to do heavy squats before races and run record times might’ve been Carl Lewis.

This is known as post-tetanic facilitation and the reason for bluejay’s higher vertical jump after a heavy deadlift. A priciple you could use for your squat program is the 1-6 method. Poliquin wrote about it a while back so have a glance at that.

Run, don’t spend as much time on lifting as you would think. 2-3 days a week will do it. Deadlifts are good, and you can usually pull just as much/more than you backsquat.

I literally just finished Barry Ross’s “Underground Secrets to Faster Running” and that (deadlifting vs. squats) was mentioned. He basically says only use lifts that will help you run and concentrate on strength, not size. If you get stronger and stay the same size you’ll be faster than if you got bigger and stronger.

Good post, pikebinscho. I’d agree, don’t focus on the lifting as much as you might think. Max speed sprints with full recovery will help you the most.

[quote]pikebinscho wrote:
Run, don’t spend as much time on lifting as you would think. 2-3 days a week will do it. Deadlifts are good, and you can usually pull just as much/more than you backsquat.

I literally just finished Barry Ross’s “Underground Secrets to Faster Running” and that (deadlifting vs. squats) was mentioned. He basically says only use lifts that will help you run and concentrate on strength, not size. If you get stronger and stay the same size you’ll be faster than if you got bigger and stronger. [/quote]

I can’t wait to race again, I dropped 7 lbs, when I couldn’t train.

Been back a couple of weeks now, and my deadlifts is better than ever, did 170kgx3 at a bw of 76kg.

Why are so many sprinter’s looking for size, Walter Dix for example is pretty big!

whats your bodyweight? thats a damn good high catch PC if you’re under 200lbs

thanks for the info on the post tetanic phenomena, although i dont know how practical it is, haha

i am currently running 90% to max speed sprints for about 1 1/2 hours on tu and thu, and about 2 1/2 hours on sunday. i am just doing this for intramural football, and i am already the fastest one on my team by far, i just want to be faster, haha

i weight 185, 190-195 on the weekend when i carb load. im 6’4" with lankyass arms though so i think that helps with the clean. (yeah i know im too light for my weight, im trying though, haha). also, that 265 clean is with straps, without straps i can only do 245 for sure, possibly 255.

i think i have settled on either repeating sheiko or doing korte, and then when season starts, do a more ws4sb sort of workout for the lower body. any thoughts? thanks in advance for opinions.

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
Cant remember where I read it but an olympic sprinter used to do heavy squats before races and run record times might’ve been Carl Lewis.

This is known as post-tetanic facilitation and the reason for bluejay’s higher vertical jump after a heavy deadlift. A priciple you could use for your squat program is the 1-6 method. Poliquin wrote about it a while back so have a glance at that.[/quote]

This was Ben Johnson and never happened. Warm up for an event where you run by…running.

Yeah, Charlie Francis even said there was no equipment at that venue for them to warm up with.

[quote]Desideratus15 wrote:
bams_101 wrote:

This is known as post-tetanic facilitation and the reason for bluejay’s higher vertical jump after a heavy deadlift. A priciple you could use for your squat program is the 1-6 method. Poliquin wrote about it a while back so have a glance at that.

This was Ben Johnson and never happened. Warm up for an event where you run by…running.[/quote]

Sorry bout the lewis/ johnson mixup

As for the squat info I’m just going off what I read in the Poliquin article which is where I read about the Johnson stuff in the first place.

If you read through the article you’ll see where I read that Ben Johnson stuff, and it says that Poliquin used the 1 6 principle on other athletes with good results.

If you want to get quicker for football then this would be good for you because an increase in power is one of the results of this type of training and power is speed by strength.

running at 90% wont help you

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Yeah, Charlie Francis even said there was no equipment at that venue for them to warm up with.[/quote]

Yes Chuckie P was wrong

are you on a team? are you a runner? why dont you train with the team?

its a fraternity intramural sport haha, so the only exercise we do together is the practices for sports, and lifting extremely heavy beers. i work out with my brother.

well, then if you want to get faster, why dont you try running…your not going to get running speed with only weights.