Help Me Fix My Fishing Rod Deadlift

The Abs and The Belt

The abs are activated and working when wearing a Belt.

It not like the abs talk a nap when you are Deadlifting, Squatting, etc when you have a Belt on. The abs/core is still working.

An electromyographic analysis of sumo and conventional style deadlifts

_“… the belt condition produced significantly greater rectus abdominis activity and significantly less external oblique activity.”

The Take Home Message

Training with and without a Belt works the abs. However, each elicits a different training effect.

Wearing a Belt work the rectus abdominis to a greater degree than NO Belt.

NOT wearing a Belt works the external obliques more so than wearing a Belt.

Thus, to ensure the greatest development of abominal strength preform exercise with and without a Belt.

Kenny Croxdale

1 Like

Great info Kenny.

I’ve been doing Sidebend or “Suitcase Walks” before squats/deads. It’s worked well and felt good, so I didn’t worry about the Why. Now I know!

Is it okay if I follow your beginner template described in the “I am officialy the worst” topic? Starting with light DL and squat (around 100kgs) and slooowly increasing weight?

Meh, worrying about that level of flexion is like worrying that the bits of rubber that stick out of your tyre are causing you to burn fuel unnecessarily, cause extra wear and slow you down.

You really think so? He is able to set up with a neutral spine but he can’t stay neutral once he starts pulling, and even with 80% or so. If that was as bad as it gets then it wouldn’t be much cause for concern, but if he was doing reps with that weight you can be sure the last few would be real ugly. According to Stuart McGill, the safest option is a neutral or slightly extended spine, the next best is starting rounded but allowing no further flexion, and the least safe is rounding further while lifitng, AKA loaded flexion. If that happens only on max attempts then it’s an acceptable risk if you want to be a powerlifter, but if every rep is like that then you won’t get far.

Dont disagree with this but from the last video which I’m viewing on a phone so maybe it’s worse on a big screen, I wouldn’t go too wild with the fixes - I wouldn’t strip his deadlift right back for example. A few good cues would probably fix it.

I wouldn’t start him over but would dial him back to a weight that he can perform with correct form. At that point I would prescribe high volume with moderate weights for a while and adding in the occasional heavy singles (90%) day to gauge what’s happening. He won’t need to start over IMO, but this will take time to fix.

I would also program in SDL’s, back extensions, shrugs, pulldowns and rows spread out over 2 days.

I suspect his drive off the floor is way more powerful than his back can keep up with.

McGill also said that one flexion event usually won’t cause a problem but the same flexion event repeated over a long time will have a cumulative effect until one day - oops.

That’s why you might be able to get away with it if it’s only on max lifts, if every lift has you rounding your back then you probably wont get too far. For that reason it makes sense that some people only pull heavy once or twice a month, the time between heavy DLs gives their back a chance to recover. The way that McGill explains it, the discs in your back basically break down from repeated loaded flexion.

He has potential, but also the potential to hurt himself. I would rather err on the side of caution. The cue is “don’t let your back round” and he can’t do that with 80% of his max single that he pulled after two months of no deadlifting.

Right on

chris_ottawa
October 3 |

jbackos:
McGill also said that one flexion event usually won’t cause a problem but the same flexion event repeated over a long time will have a cumulative effect until one day - oops.

That’s why you might be able to get away with it if it’s only on max lifts, if every lift has you rounding your back then you probably wont get too far. For that reason it makes sense that some people only pull heavy once or twice a month, the time between heavy DLs gives their back a chance to recover. The way that McGill explains it, the discs in your back basically break down from repeated loaded flexion.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

jbackos
October 3 |

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I might be the odd one out here, but lower back rounding is definitely not ok. It can cause big problems, upper back rounding slightly, I do it every time I pull over 80 percent, its not huge, but I think a rounded upper back with conventional pulling is ok

1 Like

Experience and observation of lifters for 35 years.

Right. When he’s competing for a world title, he can risk it. Until then why?

Then don’t use dbs.

Set up your BB T-bar row style without the T accessory. Slap on some weight one end and do some one arm rows.

If you want to hit the lower lats even harder then don’t just pull the weight up, pull back into the other end.

You can be strict or lose with these.

It’s a different stimulus, but that’s not necessarily bad or good.

Experience

I agree that years of experience play a role. However, your reply amounts to, “Because I said so”, which is an equivocal response.

…an answer that no real answer.

With that said, I am sure you have experience. However, explaining in some detail how and why you came to your assessment that lead to that recommendation would be appreciated.

Kenny Croxdale

Again its called PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and observation of others. I don’t need to quote long passages from authors. I merely offered an opinion. If someone else decides to ignore it that’s fine.

There are countless ways to skin the cat in this game.

[quote=“jbackos, post:37, topic:234479, full:true”]
Again its called PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and observation of others. [/quote]

:Personal Experience

As I previously state, personal experience plays a role. It just need to be followed up with more information as to why.

]quote]I don’t need to quote long passages from authors. [/quote]

Research and Empirical Data

Personal experience combine with research data provide a greater overall understand.

The information that I provide provide both.

The “Because I said so”, just need to be followed up with more of the reasoning behind. it.

Kenny Croxdale

Personal experience means IT WORKED FOR ME. I try things and if they work I stick with them.

If they work for me I don’t care why they do.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?