T Nation

Help Me Find a New Workout!

I have been doing this workout for a month now with some solid gains, about 6lbs, non of which is fat!. But all the muscle i am gaining is very dense and my measerments have not increased much.

I was wondering if somone could recomend a workout or a link for a workout with the goal of size and size only. I record what i eat and eat lots and only eat clean food. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Below is my workout and if there is anything you think would be benificial to add or change please comment. I do this workout two days on, one day break, two days on, two days off then repeat. Also everything is performed 3x12. Cheers.

Day 1

Cable rows
Lat pull down
Back extension
Bicep curls
Barbell curls
Wrist curl

Day 2

DB chest press
Cable flies
Tricep pulldown
Tricep extension
Wrist curl

Day 3

Break maybe a run

Day 4

Leg press
Leg extension
Leg curls
Hip abductor
Hip adductor
Calve raise
Wrist curl

Day 5

Shoulder press
Shoulder raise
Revers flies
Shoulder shrugs

Day 6

Break

Day 7

Break

the search feature is pretty handy

HSS 100 is also a good possibly better idea.

Starting Strength is ledgendary for its ability to increase size and strength. Book is by Rippetoe but is kind of expensive.

There is a spreadsheet you and find that is based off of it. google Madcow 5x5 and do the begginner version.

best of luck to you.

Starting Strength is expensive? Hardly.

Well worth the $, but it’s up to you. I highly recommend the Novice Program outlined in the book. Good luck. I can attest to it from personal experience; I had a female improve in a period of 4 weeks from:

Deadlift 1x5x95 lbs ----> 1x5x150 lbs.
Back Squat 3x5x105 lbs ----> 3x5x135 lbs.
Bench Press 3x5x60 lbs. ----> 3x5x75 lbs.
Standing Press 3x5x40 lbs. —> 3x5x55 lbs.

It’s amazing how simple but effective basic linear progression can be with young/inexperienced lifters. Numbers are steady now (maintenance lifting) as she has decided to prepare for an upcoming triathlon but you get the idea here…

No real change in bodyweight either (5’6.5" 128 lbs.)

Your routine makes me cringe, honestly. Here’s one variation on a 5x5:

stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-
beginner-strength-training-program

Day A

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5
Dips 3xF

Day B
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chins/Pull-ups 3xF

Alternate workouts, lifting 3x a week.

Looking at your workout im VERY skeptical. Dave Tate says it best with, “You CANT flex bone” Seeing that WO means thats all your pretty much trying to do, flex bone. Ok, what im trying to say is that you just started lifting, so you have no base of size or strength to work off of, so you cant isolate yoiur muscles for maximum stimulation.

Also, why would you want size and size only? wouldnt it be nice to look like you can bench twice your weight, and actually be able to do it? Not picking you apart boss, but im just trying to get it all into perspective.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
Looking at your workout im VERY skeptical. Dave Tate says it best with, “You CANT flex bone” Seeing that WO means thats all your pretty much trying to do, flex bone. Ok, what im trying to say is that you just started lifting, so you have no base of size or strength to work off of, so you cant isolate yoiur muscles for maximum stimulation.

Also, why would you want size and size only? wouldnt it be nice to look like you can bench twice your weight, and actually be able to do it? Not picking you apart boss, but im just trying to get it all into perspective.[/quote]

If his goal is size and size only, I’d suggest just leaving the weights alone and concentrating on eating.

Big Macs, ice cream, and lucky charms should be the staples of your diet. The more you can handle the better. Personally, I think you should always have an extra Big Mac on hand for when you’re just sitting around. That’s a great time to get in an extra set. They come in those cardboard boxes so you can just through a couple in your backpack every day and eat them between classes. This is probably the best way to gain size while minimizing strength gains.

Or, if you disagree with my advice, you could read the stickies at the top of this forum.