Help Me Defeat My Friend in the Right

are we supposed to take this seriouz?

c’mon son at least post pics and some Youtube vids of shit talk.

Mr Tough i call bs too! some videos son!

Why on earth would you take the bet if you have no way to train? Too many basics to learn in too little time (takedown defense, defending/improving position from guard, escapes from half guard/side control/mount, basic armbar/choke/leglock defense, and so on). Your best bet is to just keep your distance and smash his face in because once your back hits the mat it’s over.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
I don’t normally chime in here because most of these guys are way more knowledgable than me but I think I have some relevant information.

Three things.

1. If he is competent in wrestling and grappling, plan to end up immediately on the ground. I’m a PL who also coaches wrestling and still does a few old timer tournaments. About a year ago around midnight (granted drinking was involved) two of my friends headed outside to wrestle. One is a stud 220 PL and the other is an average SHW (weighed about 290 at the time.) The 290#'er thought he was going to win easy. Keep in mind the 220# also coaches wrestling and competes in old timer tournaments. The first match, 290#'er ended up basically getting systematically demolished and pinned in less than a minute. Second time, 290#'er decided to go with a brute force approach which ended up even worse for him. He ended up getting his shirt ripped off him, thrown into some spiky evergreen bushes (momentum used against him) and of all things, because of his body position on attack, set himself perfectly for a headlock and that was all she wrote. He also got the wind knocked out of him for his trouble.

2. As Sento said, the level of conditioning for combat sports is entirely different than that needed for weight training, field sports, etc. I have an 11 year old son who plays LAX in the Spring and Summer, does some boxing at Top Team, plays football in the fall (both ways every game, almost never leaves the field) and he will tell you right now that he always takes a couple of weeks to get back in wrestling shape. (Boxing helps but it is not his primary activity so his conditioning is more geared towards field sports outside of wrestling.)

3. Even though your opponent has only been training for a year he is still much more used to somebody initiating contact with him with the intent to physically dominate. Are you? The way you respond in the moment makes a huge difference. If you cannot defend a takedown, not a half-hearted attempt shitty attempt, but shot and followed through well, you are probably in deep shit.

If I were you, I would run through your rolodex and see if you know anybody who coaches HS or College wrestling, or for that matter wrestles, and I would ask if you could come in a couple nights a week to train. Most wrestlers like fresh meat. I would be surprised if you couldn’t get someone to take you up on this and it would probalby cost you nothing. You may have to come in after practice has ended, but so be it. If you walk into this not understanding how to pummel in and defend a TD, you’re likely fugged.

Don’t rely on your level of conditioning from what you have described to be of much help and don’t expect to dominate because of your alleged strength and size advantage because this only happens when all things are basically equal.

Not to mention if he is really training at an MMA gym that’s worth a shit, he’s gonna come in with a combat specific game plan.

Lastly, DreCappa, if you happen to read this please PM me an email addy. I lost yours and I am unable to respond to PM’s. Hope your well, brother.[/quote]

Holy shit buddy. I thought you were ignoring me lol. I just happened to read this. Check your inbox.

Please post a video of this fight. This has the potential to be epic.

This remember when i went to fight amateur mma without preparate conditioning. I gassed on the first round.

1. Stop lifting, running, sled drags, sprints, etc. This does not matter if you cannot fight. See marius pudzianowski’s fights if you dont believe me. He sucks balls.

2. Learn as much about ONE martial art as you can from a good instructor. Use all the free time you have from not lifting to train this martial art. Get crazy good at 3-4 moves - be they submissions, punches, kicks, takedowns, etc. Maybe 3-4 is too ambitious. Even 1-2 will get you by.

3. Learn as many possible ways to set up the few moves you have learned. From afar, from up close in the pocket, from the clinch, from a takedown attempt, on the ground (in guard, mount, sidemount, heard-and-arm, etc)

4)Get a mouthguard and be ready for some real shit (unless your friend sucks)

easy. one year aint enough time for him to be even competant. you say he doesnt do it alot you have too much weight on him. im in it for 6 years training real serious and im 160. i would have to be very serious and on my game against a guy your size regardless of skill or strength thats alot of weight. i suggest to just condition like a mother. its not good for the long term but do some backyard sparring if you cant get into a gym. it will at least get you acclimated to taking shots. honestly just relax, walk him down, hands up chin down, punch with him dont wait for him to finish. its ok for you to get tagges once or twice but make him pay for it with your much bigger shots. youtube mexican style boxers and watch how they use the fundamentals very well to pressure guys into trading with them. dont throw single shots 3-4 punches at a time. if you do this you will win.

Talking from experience and from posts aboves

drop everything and focus JUST on technique and on FEW movements, that’s your only chance

i would go with straight punches and some basic TD defense. Forget about kicking you won’t have enough time to know how to set up kicks and avoid TD.

I guess it would be like this:

#1 Jab - keeping him at bay, setting the distance
#2 Sprawl - I don’t know his background but it will probably be double or singles, sprawl like a mother fucker
#3 Straight - If you can keep him at bay with the jab you can try the 1-2 combo in order to stun him.

I wouldn’t go to ground and pound if you have no idea about bjj. Condition, Condition and Condition, it won’t matter crap if you are strong, quick if you end up gassing on the first round. I end up sending the guy to the hospital but i lost on split decision, if i had focused more on technique and less on deadlifting and squatting i would probably would been able to knock him out on the first round.

Try keep the lifting minimal if you insist on doing it.

Video will come - but its pay per view - 5$ in paypal :slight_smile:

The fight should be in juli but i “tricked” him to move it to 1st sept…

That means i will go to a MMA camp for 1 months somewhere in the world all of august - any suggestions?

Otherwise im really happy about ALL of your thoughts!!

[quote]MMATHORN wrote:

That means i will go to a MMA camp for 1 months somewhere in the world all of august - any suggestions?

[/quote]

No one is going to pay you

I’m assuming your use of quotations around the word tricked is to insinuate that you are a Jedi and thus used your mind techniques on him. If that is the case, use the power of the Force during the fight and choke him out Vader style

Are you saying you have the resources to spend an entire month at any reputable camp around the world?

Glad you’re happy, post the fight afterwards (none of this PPV business, chump) for free and then we’ll be happy to see you likely get concussed or lose function of one of your limbs for a period of time.

Yes the school ends 21. june… so betweem 1. juli and 1. sept i have total freetime and lots of $ thanks to also getting money from the school from being there.

I will make a private video on yt with it for you TN guys!

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]MMATHORN wrote:

[/quote]

No one is going to pay you

I’m assuming your use of quotations around the word tricked is to insinuate that you are a Jedi and thus used your mind techniques on him. If that is the case, use the power of the Force during the fight and choke him out Vader style

Are you saying you have the resources to spend an entire month at any reputable camp around the world?

Glad you’re happy, post the fight afterwards (none of this PPV business, chump) for free and then we’ll be happy to see you likely get concussed or lose function of one of your limbs for a period of time.[/quote]

ha ha

I doubt nothing, last time i posted a thread about fighting in short notice in amateur mma people laughed the shit out of me.

Video?

I’m ~185lbs, competitive amateur boxer, been doing it in a top gym for 11 years now. My entire childhood, all I did for fun with my mates was wrestle and fight, I almost always won. I lived with a mate who was a top blue belt grappler in BJJ, weighing about 150lbs max, we grappled a couple of times a week almost every week for a year, I never came close to winning. I got harder to beat, but I always, every single time, got beaten. I had size, weight, strength, and a lot of fighting experience on this guy, and I got crushed everytime.

My point is that, although it might have been different if we had been ‘MMA fighting’, size and strength don’t mean very much against a guy who knows what he’s doing. I was fit too, from boxing, but a guy who knows what they are doing on the floor will take your advantages away from you, and he’ll do it effortlessly.

It’s a hard pill for everyone who lifts weights to swallow, but lifting weights doesn’t make you a fighter. Case in point, we had a serious weightlifter a few years back (bodybuilder, I’d say, but i’m no expert) in our gym for a bit, who used to act tough cos he was bigger than everyone else. He used to get the better of some new guys in sparring when he first started because of his size. He was put in with one of the top guys in the country at light welter, schoolboy age group, and he got soundly beaten.

If you really seriously want to win a fight, worry about becoming a fighter. Big fighters generally beat better little fighters. Become a big fighter and you’ll crush your little fighter mate. Stay as a big guy who fancies a scrap, and unless you get really lucky, you’ll just be a big guy who got his arse handed to him in a top hat by a guy half his size. At your size, of the two of you, you’re the one with something to loose.