Help Me Cut...

Goal: 172lbs by Nov. 7th
Current: 5’8 182lbs 17% bf

Cardio: ~ 2 mile medium intensity bike workouts on nights that I lift. Also doing tabata style sprints (20 seconds on, 10 off).

Diet: intake 2500 kcals (30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat) - get atleast 1 g / protein per lb of bodyweight.

Weights: 3x per week the following splits:

a.) Flat Bench (5x5 with 2-3 set warmup) 90 seconds rest
Deadlift (5x5 with 2-3 set warmup) 90 seconds rest
Straight Legged Deads (3x8, no warmup) 60 seconds rest
Hammer curls (3x8, no warmup) 60 seconds rest
Abs w/ weight (5x10) 60 seconds rest

b.) Rows (5x5 with 2-3 set warmup) 90 seconds rest
Back Squat (5x5 with 2-3 set warmup) 90 seconds rest
Dips (3x8) 60 seconds rest
Romanian Deads (3x8) 60 seconds rest
Abs w/ weight (5x10) 60 seconds rest

ok go ahead and critique it and tell me how bad it is. I know there isn’t a whole lot there but I like to go high intensity and get done in 40 minutes or so.

If anyone has any suggestions as far as anything I’ve posted please let me know.

mike

On the cardio front - I’d mix it up, try on treadmill: warm up with 9kmph for 12 mins at 1%incline and then sprint at 16kmph for 90 secs, then rest for 120 secs at 8kmph, i do four to five sets of this. I cant stand long duration cardio and like the explosive nature of doing it this way. Can also use a similar method on the rowing machine, keep your body guessing. Throw in some heavy bag and skipping as well and you’ll start to cut up in no time.

bomber,

Thanks for the advice. I do a lot of that when I ride on the bike. I start out at a low intensity, jump it up, then back down, rinse repeat.

I don’t like long marathon cardio sessions either. That’s why I’m doing the tabata sprints (20 seconds all out, 10 seconds rest) for 4 minutes (8 reps).

Any other advice on the workout, diet, etc?

Like i said the workout isn’t the best but I like the main lifts. I’ll probably switch things up here in 2-3 weeks using a 4 day rest period for recovery and switch up the excercises (sumo deads, front squats, incline / decline bench etc.)

I forgot to mention that I’m also using some supps: Low-Carb Grow! and HOT-ROX.

thanks again,
mike

I would look at the “Running Man” article by Christian Thibadeau.

In my opinion if you are working out alone it is better to run for distance than time.

No one will be able to tell you anything from what you posted about your diet. Those percentages of Carbs, Protein, and Fat look alright but in what combinations are you eating them and what foods are you eating, and when?

RIT Jared:

Diet is as follows:

Breakfast: (~500 kcals)
1 scoop Low-Carb Grow! w/ skim milk (8oz)
1 medium banana
1/2 cup oats raw
8oz OJ

Snack: (~400 kcals)

2 tb pb
1 scoop Low-Carb Grow!

Lunch: (~600 kcals)
Subway sub, with all the veggies or ~7oz chicken breast with some rice.

Snack: (~400 kcals)
some mix of protein and fat, usually meat.

Dinner: (~600 kcals)
~5-7 oz chicken or beef with broccoli, carrots, spinach etc.

Pre sleep: ~1 cup cottage cheese (4% milk fat)

PWO: Surge w/ scoop of Low-Carb Grow!

I try not to get too many carbs after about 1-2 pm (bed time is 9-10pm due to an early start).

I would NOT mix Grow! in with the Surge. Give Surge 30-45mins to do it’s job then throw down some Grow!

Also, are you using HOT-ROX on this cutting phase?

Yes, i’m using HOT-ROX.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I would NOT mix Grow! in with the Surge. Give Surge 30-45mins to do it’s job then throw down some Grow!

Also, are you using HOT-ROX on this cutting phase?[/quote]

I agree w/ not mixing Grow and Surge.

Your diet doesn’t look bad. Keep a log and take measurements-- don’t use scale weight as your only benchmark.

I find it odd… part of my above post is missing. The part missing:

I mix Grow! / Surge because I don’t prefer the taste of Surge by itself.

odd…