T Nation

Help Me Create a Program?

Hi, obviously I’m new to the forum. Been skulking about for around a year now though. I’m 20. I had a stint in the gym around 6 months ago but I injured my knee and I’ve only been back in for the last two weeks. Thanks to pushups and too much pressing in general, my chest is WAY bigger than my upper back, so that is my focus right now. I’m not sure about doing squats because I don’t have a spotter and I don’t want to do deadlifts until I’m sure my knee is up to it. This is what I’ve been doing, and seeing pretty decent results so far. Any help and pointers is greatly appreciated.

Day 1
-Seated cable rows 80lbs 3x12
-chin grip pulldown 80lbs 3x12
-Scapular retraction rows 60lbs 3x12

Day 2
-Leg press 270lbs 3x12
Only doing that, with feet at the top of the platform to get my glutes and hamstrings caught up to my quads. It really hits them hard. My quads are way overpowered from a lifetime of cycling. Plus, my calves are almost as big as my thighs.

Day 3&4
Rest

Day 5
-Barbell curls 10lbs 3x12
-Reverse curls: just the bar 3x12
-Skullcrushers 10lbs 3x12
-Rope pushdowns 60lbs 3x12
-Dumbell hold 50lbs for 30 seconds x 2

Read the stickies!

For the love of god get on a proven program and do it exactly as written.

I’ve tried a few in the past, didn’t really work for me. My bone structure is very disproportionate. Huge legs, hips, and ass, tiny arms, and a huge ribcage that gives the illusion of a big chest and leaves me with a hollow-looking back.

[quote]rusky wrote:
I’ve tried a few in the past, didn’t really work for me. My bone structure is very disproportionate. Huge legs, hips, and ass, tiny arms, and a huge ribcage that gives the illusion of a big chest and leaves me with a hollow-looking back. [/quote]

This is the worst excuse for not doing a proven program I’ve ever heard. Congratulations. Your prize is… one proven program go do one.

[quote]rusky wrote:
I’ve tried a few in the past, didn’t really work for me. My bone structure is very disproportionate. Huge legs, hips, and ass, tiny arms, and a huge ribcage that gives the illusion of a big chest and leaves me with a hollow-looking back. [/quote]

I call bullshit. You need to re-evaluate your dedication and stop making excuses. There is nothing wrong with your bone structure that would keep a program from working. You don’t have huge legs, hips, or ass. Your tiny arms are because you’re weak and you don’t eat enough.

Get on a proven program. Follow it EXACTLY to a TEE, and learn how to eat.

wendler said it best “youre no different than any one else. but youre attitude can be”. this of course in regards to ridiculous excuses like that. like everyone is saying. get on a proven method, something simple 5/3/1, 5x5 madcow, something that works the basic barbell compounds, then down the road if you wanna switch it up go for it, but even then i would never suggest straying from the basics, the more i train year by year the more appreciation i have for the basics, there is a reason everyone does them and has for a while. my suggestion, 5/3/1, run lift stretch, eats a lot and often. no dickin around

Just do what you want and stay weak.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]rusky wrote:

I call bullshit. You need to re-evaluate your dedication and stop making excuses. There is nothing wrong with your bone structure that would keep a program from working. You don’t have huge legs, hips, or ass. Your tiny arms are because you’re weak and you don’t eat enough.

Get on a proven program. Follow it EXACTLY to a TEE, and learn how to eat.[/quote]

He may be a T Rex.

My suggestion.

Program:

As others have said 5/3/1 works great and you can tailor the templates to fit your needs, in your case
lots of upperback/lats and arm work + knee rehab.

Day1:
Benchpress: 5/3/1. ( I provide you with a article that explains the 5/3/1 setts and reps later in the post )
DB rows: 5x10.
Facepulls: 5x10.
BB curls or DB curls: 5x10.

Day2: Legs/knee rehab. ( after your knee are 100%, start doing regular squat and deadlift training )

Day3:
Press: 5/3/1.
chins or pulldowns: a total of 30-50reps / 5x10. ( if you cant do chins, do pulldowns, but if you can do 1 good rep with chins, then you SHOULD do chins )
Rear raises: 5x10.
a tricep excercise: 5x10. ( do one that doesnt bothers your elbow )

Food:

3-4 meals a day consisting of some animal protein( red meat, fish, bird meat, eggs ) and some carbs( grains, potatoes, vegetables etc )

After each meal take a shake consisting of minimum 3dl milk and 2scopps of protein powder. You can if you
need more calories add icecream and a banana in the shake, just put it all in a blender and mix it up.

After a while you can add more meals a day when you are able or need it to push further gains.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength&sa=U&ei=sh67T6uNFYSzhAfFlZ3PBA&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGrCUi72GJrc3ttgD105jMgLRwDrA

^Here is the article that lays out the 5/3/1 sets, reps and progression.

Hope that was helpfull and good luck.