T Nation

Help Me Cement my Diet Plan

i need a helping hand cementing my diet plan, 5 years ago i was 375 pounds @16% bf and as a 24 year old man i was in my country seen as a bit of a freak, i am now just 30 and weigh 270 @ round 18-20 percent…( dealing meth did it to me that and i stopped taking vet drugs) i was contemplating the velocity diet or a 4 shake 2 meal 30-50 gram carbs per day eating plan.

I do the big exercises deads snatch cleans bench and squats yet im caught in a pickle as im training for a muay thai fight and have started swimming and jogging 2 times a week as well as 3 times a week fight training,

i am easily still the strongest at my gym and i havent really trained for 3 years or so and it just feels like theres so many fucken diets out there i just need a lil helping hand and some direction …if you got any ideas for this kiwi lad get at me,

Try carb cycling. I don’t have an article link but it works. Just keep your insulin levels down.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
Just keep your insulin levels down. [/quote]

THat sounded bad. Make sure you are getting the most out of your carbs. And believe it or not, but cardio is very beneficial for cutting. Cardio everyday isn’t a bad idea at all. Just don’t put it as your number one priority.

Depends on how well you handle carbs or not dude. If you dont, I would highly suggest a high fat/high protein low carbs diet to drop the fat quick and maybe have a carb up once a week…You dont NEED a carb up, but as I saidm it depends on how well you handle carbs. Use cardio ONLY as a tool and dont relie on it to drop the fat. Diet is the key factor. Lift heavy and try and gain strength which will ensure no muscle loss.
IMO the best diet for fat loss and muscle preservation is a ketogenic diet, but is very dependant on the individual.

Good luck,

GJ

thanks for the replys, yeah as i thought im a bit sensitive to carbs and into day 4 of a higher protein higher fat meal structure i feel lighter and a bit harder already i will endeavour to stay right away from the carbs and up my cardio a bit more…nice lat spread g.j

No sweat.

Also. failed to mentioned that you should ensure high intake of BCAA’s during workouts and glutamine in post work-out shake. Depending on how fat you are, carb up every 7-10 days with just ONE big carb meal(200g). Check out CT’s Refined transformation for tips on low carb dieting.

GJ

thanks again , im not that fat but im not lean enough, ill take what you say and utilise it and also check out the tips on c.t’s transformation …

thus far i have been eating like this for the past 9 days, breakfast shake with 50 grams of protein isolate and a banana.

3 hours later steak/beef and a salad containing lettuce celery carrot olives some small bits of feta onion.3 hours later another shake and 1 handfull of mixed nuts. the same salad and beef again then a mid arfternoon shake.

followed by 2 hours muay thai training or weights then a shake p.w.o and lean meat and salad for dinner.

my shakes are 240 cals each, i train muay thai 2 times a week and resistance and intervals 2 times also,the funny thing is i look leaner but have put on 2kg and got stronger am i limiting my calories 2 much any ideas for upping the fat burning process i drink green tea every day hot roxx may be?? just so xpensive in my country

by the way thats shakes with 50 grams worth of isolate not the weight of the powder im aiming for 250 gms protein per day

idk how much money you’ve got for supplements, but I’ve heard that Anabolic Pump from USP labs works wonders. Im not 100% on the science behind it, but it is supposed to block GLUT4 a transport protein which helps insulin shuttle glucose into fat cells.

Anabolic pump blocks the GLUT4 in fat cells. So you’re body is gonna be using less insulin and supposedly all of the glucose will go into muscle cells as opposed to adipose cells.

[quote]heavylifter36 wrote:
idk how much money you’ve got for supplements, but I’ve heard that Anabolic Pump from USP labs works wonders. Im not 100% on the science behind it, but it is supposed to block GLUT4 a transport protein which helps insulin shuttle glucose into fat cells.

Anabolic pump blocks the GLUT4 in fat cells. So you’re body is gonna be using less insulin and supposedly all of the glucose will go into muscle cells as opposed to adipose cells. [/quote]

pretty limited with funds as the country i live in has a shit hourly rate of pay right across the board one of the reasons i ended up being a drug dealing clown as opposed to a average joe worker up until now,

we get a good lot of supps over here but grossly over priced a container of Metabolic Drive would set me back round 180 bucks, am taking whey maxx from pvl 120 cals per scoop and 25 grams protein per scoop, will look for something along the lines to reduce insulin sensitivity, thanks for your imput…

Damn, that sucks. Good luck with the diet.

375 lb at 16% bf??

Is that a typo? If not, that is unhumanly built!

[quote]MapShooter wrote:
375 lb at 16% bf??

Is that a typo? If not, that is unhumanly built![/quote]

nah all fact no typo, in hindsight i suppose it was quite freaky i do recall alot of stares and alot of haters at the gym, its been a long hard road back into training but now you have made me think i kinda am rather genetically gifted to a certain extent,

small wrists wide shoulders big dorian yates type back and shoulders, ill try and post some pics if i can over the coming months ,

thanks heavy lifter dont know if i need luck may be just discipline the eating is the hardest part to cut back on especially the carbs simple and complex, thanks for the support

well the discipline seems to be paying off , ive never really been much of a cardio man this is probably due to the fact i was one a tad lazy and at the weight i used to be and the lower body fat oh and all the streroids i was doing kept me pretty lean but now im lighter and a couple percent of fat heavier im right into it.

For the last 15 days ive been drinking and eating a high protein low carb and higher fat diet and 2 times a week been running up a 3km mountain on a steep incline working out in the gym and training for my fight. Gonna go get a body fat check in a couple more weeks and hopefully things are changing statistically not just visually…any other ideas will be appreciated

The main thing is to be consistant, or you wont reach any goal…I wouldn’t RUN up the hill. I would walk instead. When on low carbs, your preferable cardio type should be low intensity with HR at 70% of your max HR. Performing any glycogen depleting type cardio may eat into you muscle.

Having said this, Charles Poliquin is never usually recommends low int cardio to his athletes AND he follows a low carb approach with most as well…so I guess its kinda up to you.

Just make sure you assess you progress, strength etc regularly bro…If strength is still up, I doubt you will be losing muscle.

Keep us posted,

GJ

cheers thanks, the only reason im running up the mountain is for fight training otherwise yeah bro i would be walking up that bitch of a hill. i have to be real fit for my fight, though you bring up a good point if im feeling a little sluggish mentally and taking a little while longer ( 2 days) to recover after a weights training am i depleting my glycogen stores too much and then running the risk of being catabolic may be a few more starchy carbs are what the doctor ordered???

today i had a protein shake for breakfast with a banana 2 handfulls of mixed nuts and seeds and a litre of h20 then 3.5 hours later i had a big green salad with beef and a yoghurt lunch time was 300 grams chicen and a small diced kumura(sweet potato) mid arvo i consumed a protein shake and a yoghurt and another litre of h20 after work im going home for walk i think and then dinner which is going to be lean mince with veges, my weight has gone up yet im feeling harder i guess ill keep up with what im doing for another 2 weeks and see then what fruit i bare …fingers x’d