T Nation

Help Me Be A Meathead

I’ve been on T-Nation for several months now. I’ve doing WS4SB for a few months. I have been training consistently since August of '05. My goal is the athletic but strong look of the athletes on Coach Defranco’s site, like this http://defrancostraining.com/pics/pics_college-pro.htm#got-muscle. Right now I am about 213 at 6ft, around 9% bodyfat. Last week, my doctor diagnosed me with bursitis in my shoulders. This has actually been an ongoing condition with me for several years. I work a physical job that has helped put me through college. Luckily I only have a few more months until I graduate. I need to cut back on my lifting a bit for a month, and do physical therapy for a month as well. I have already stopped doing overhead pressing movements, a common cause of bursitis in the shoulder. During my healing time I am going to focus on my legs, PC, arms and my core. I will also probably be stupid and do some upper body work as well. I’ll be posting my workouts as I go. If anyone has some constructive criticism, feel free to post back or PM me. Help me be a meathead!

If you’re 6’ 213 and 9% you are already a meathead. Those are solid numbers if they are accurate.

[quote]purdiver wrote:
If you’re 6’ 213 and 9% you are already a meathead. Those are solid numbers if they are accurate.[/quote]

A real meathead would never think that was enough…thus enforcing what you stated and informing you that you should have known that already.

Those are pretty accurate as far as I know. When I joined my new gym in December, I was 206 with 9% BF. My gym did a fitness test which included BF analysis with calipers. I know this is not the best way, but it is fairly reliable. Since then, I have cleaned up my diet even more, so I figure my BF has held constant while I added the extra weight. My strength is horrible though. When I started lifting a year ago, I was following BB type programs that worked in the 8-15 rep ranges. I never focused on strength purely until I started WS4SB. So don’t laugh to hard when I post my workout numbers.

[quote]purdiver wrote:
If you’re 6’ 213 and 9% you are already a meathead. Those are solid numbers if they are accurate.[/quote]

You’re right Prof X. I am not satisfied. I want to to eventually get up to around 225 or 230. I’m not competing in any physique comps so I don;t need to be your size LOL.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
purdiver wrote:
If you’re 6’ 213 and 9% you are already a meathead. Those are solid numbers if they are accurate.

A real meathead would never think that was enough…thus enforcing what you stated and informing you that you should have known that already.[/quote]

I know you didn’t mean this meathead, but I’ve noticed that Prof gets a lot of subtle shit about being 270lbs. There’s not a thread he comments in where his weight is brought up as something undesirable by the OP, or worse. Even here when meathead wasn’t meaning to be rude (and I’m not saying he was), you can still read an undercurrent message of “270lbs is ridiculous if you don’t want to compete”.

No wonder the guy is pissed off all the time.

Meathead, hurry up and post your lifts and diet.

By the way I can’t remember your name which is why I’m using meathead.

I never meant meathead in an offensive way. Quite the contrary. And as far as Prof. X, I respect his decision to be that size. I don’t personally want to be as big as him, but we all have different personal goals, right? As I said, I have no interest in physique competition, I am a recreational lifter. But I respect everyone’s goals and training.

Tonight was MEUB of WS4SB
2-Board Press Max of 195 x 3
DB Bench Press (Palms In) 60s x 8 x 3
Chest supported rows on Flite Machine 110 x 12 x 4
Leg Raises 12 x 4
Decline Situps with medicine ball 15 x 3
At the end of my workout, I did Thibedeau’s Beach Window workout for my arms
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-111-training (workout number 3).

As you can see, my lifts sucked tonight. My right shoulder is really bothering me. Just a month ago I did the same bench presses (palms in) using 85 lb dumbbells. Thursday I have my first physical therapy evaluation, so hopefully I can get my shoulder feeling better. I will try to train around it, or I can just focus on dooing more repetition work. Or I can use my downtime to bring my arms up to speed. This was also my first time ever doing board presses, so my numbers weren’t great. Tomorrow I will post what I normally eat for my diet.

[quote]jacross wrote:
I know you didn’t mean this meathead, but I’ve noticed that Prof gets a lot of subtle shit about being 270lbs. There’s not a thread he comments in where his weight is brought up as something undesirable by the OP, or worse. Even here when meathead wasn’t meaning to be rude (and I’m not saying he was), you can still read an undercurrent message of “270lbs is ridiculous if you don’t want to compete”.

By the way I can’t remember your name which is why I’m using meathead.[/quote]

I’m confused. You don’t want to compete so, do you want to breing the lifts up or obtain a certain look?

btw I don’t think Prof. X is pissed off all the time - it just seems that way.

I WANT TO BE 270LBS

Hey El, read my original post. I said I wanted to achieve a “strong, athletic look.” I also want to bring my lifts up. I play recreational sports, so I can get the best of both worlds with WS4SB. I can look better naked and get stronger. I figure being stronger can’t hurt, now can it?

[quote]El_Animal wrote:
I’m confused. You don’t want to compete so, do you want to breing the lifts up or obtain a certain look?

btw I don’t think Prof. X is pissed off all the time - it just seems that way.

I WANT TO BE 270LBS[/quote]

My name is Dre, Jacross.

[quote]jacross wrote:

By the way I can’t remember your name which is why I’m using meathead.[/quote]

Who accused you of using meathead in an offensive manner?

I dont want to speak for the prof but I think he is doing this as a bulk and will eventually cut down to a more ripped, still massive physique, perhaps at 245-50 or something like that, I would imagine.

Want to be a meathead? Whats your definition of a meathead? A lot of people associate juice with being a meathead. I dont necessarily agree with that. Just live, eat and breath the BB style and you are on your way there. In that sense, I would be honored if someone calls me a meathead. Oh and one more thing to prep you, most fucks on this site will not understand you and question your every move. My advise to you: fuck em all.

That shoulder thing is a killer, had problems with mine in the past, dont have much advise to give you cuz I had different issues. If you can work around it, do it.

As far as your programs are concerned, I cant say I am into any of the latest greatest routines that you seem to follow but if it works for you, go for it. As for me, I go with a more traditional split that seems to work great for me.

AA

[quote]Drecappa wrote:
I never meant meathead in an offensive way. Quite the contrary. And as far as Prof. X, I respect his decision to be that size. I don’t personally want to be as big as him, but we all have different personal goals, right? As I said, I have no interest in physique competition, I am a recreational lifter. But I respect everyone’s goals and training.

Leg Raises 12 x 4
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-111-training (workout number 3).

As you can see, my lifts sucked tonight. My right shoulder is really bothering me. Just a month ago I did the same bench presses (palms in) using 85 lb dumbbells. Thursday I have my first physical therapy evaluation, so hopefully I can get my shoulder feeling better. I will try to train around it, or I can just focus on dooing more repetition work. Or I can use my downtime to bring my arms up to speed. This was also my first time ever doing board presses, so my numbers weren’t great. Tomorrow I will post what I normally eat for my diet.

jacross wrote:

[/quote]

I was just making sure in case anyone thought I was.

[quote]jacross wrote:
Who accused you of using meathead in an offensive manner?[/quote]

Prof X you weigh 270? What sanction do you compete in? If it’s NPC then you’re probably doing Nationals or USA or are you an IFBB pro?

I use the term meathead affectionately, as does Coach Defranco. Many words that may be deragatory in the mainstream world are compliments in the world of lifting. Just like your namesake, Animal. Psycho is another one. As far as meathead, I see it as anyone who dedicates themself to the world of lifting, whether they are pros, amateurs, juciers or nonjuicers.

In fact, Coach Defranco calls his athletes and himself meatheads, but he says they are all natural (he said so in a response to a visitor to his site who accused them of using steroids). I am natural and I plan to stay that way, just my personal opinion. And yes, I’ve realized there is always somebody with something negative to say. Just go look at my post about self-destructive behavior.

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I dont want to speak for the prof but I think he is doing this as a bulk and will eventually cut down to a more ripped, still massive physique, perhaps at 245-50 or something like that, I would imagine.

Want to be a meathead? Whats your definition of a meathead? A lot of people associate juice with being a meathead. I dont necessarily agree with that. Just live, eat and breath the BB style and you are on your way there. In that sense, I would be honored if someone calls me a meathead. Oh and one more thing to prep you, most fucks on this site will not understand you and question your every move. My advise to you: fuck em all.

That shoulder thing is a killer, had problems with mine in the past, dont have much advise to give you cuz I had different issues. If you can work around it, do it.

As far as your programs are concerned, I cant say I am into any of the latest greatest routines that you seem to follow but if it works for you, go for it. As for me, I go with a more traditional split that seems to work great for me.

AA

Drecappa wrote:

Leg Raises 12 x 4

jacross wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, that is the eventual plan. I would like to carry enough mass to (should I ever happen to decide to do so) compete at around or above 230lbs.

[quote]E-man wrote:
Prof X you weigh 270? What sanction do you compete in? If it’s NPC then you’re probably doing Nationals or USA or are you an IFBB pro?[/quote]

I don’t compete. I lift weights with strength and size as my main goals. I may or may not compete in the future. I know some guys who compete in NPC and they seem to think I would do ok if I diet down. I personally want to bring my legs up more if I decide to do so, that and rear delts.

I think you should go for it Prof. Start kicking legs and rear delts into high gear.

A

[quote]Professor X wrote:
E-man wrote:
Prof X you weigh 270? What sanction do you compete in? If it’s NPC then you’re probably doing Nationals or USA or are you an IFBB pro?

I don’t compete. I lift weights with strength and size as my main goals. I may or may not compete in the future. I know some guys who compete in NPC and they seem to think I would do ok if I diet down. I personally want to bring my legs up more if I decide to do so, that and rear delts.[/quote]

Tonight was supposed to be MELB, but it is storming here and my gym closed down because the lights were flickering there supposedly. I was all jacked up on Spike so I needed to burn off some energy.

So I came home and did some recovery work. I did some high rep abs and calf work. I have been doing Waterbury’s 100 rep program and my target bodyparts are abs and calves. I’ve been adding some heavy ab work to the end of my workouts to strengthen my core. I also did pushups, 2 sets of 25.

My chest was feeling sore from the other day, and I I noticed doing a couple sets of old fashioned pushups seems to help with recovery. I’ll just move my lower body day back to Thursday, and will post that workout tomorrow evening.

Yesterday (Thursday) was Max Effort Lower Body day for WS4SB. I threw a twist into the workout though. The past couple weeks I have been doing ATG squats instead of my normal deadlifts or box squat variations. My workout looked like this.

ATG Squats 195 (10 x 3) I took a page out of the Waterbury loading parameters

Bulgarian Split Squats with 40lb Dbs in each hand 3 x 8 for each leg

Leg Curls Supersetted with Standing Calf Raises (4 x 8)

Db Hammer Curls 40 lb DBs supersetted with V-Grip Tricep Pushdowns

I threw some arm work into my workout a la Beach Window Workout. I also threw some direct calf work into my program even though WS4Sb doesnt call for it. My workout still only lasted an hour. I’ve begun losing strength in my right arms and shoulder.

I started physical therapy yesterday and my therapist said I can continue lifting weights, just to let pain be my guide. My shoulder doesn’t hurt when I lift, my arm just feels “dead.” That’s not a good sign. My therapist had me working on my rotator cuffs to bring the strength back to my arms. I plan on doing light rotator cuff work everyday.